Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Using the USB port

Views : 20309

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:05   #21
tremly

Not sure if this is common knowledge or just me being slow ..

I was about to export all my songs to MP3 and put on memory stick when I realised that an ipod is in effect a large memory stick.

Anyway decided to try it out and just plugged in iPod into the USB port and it all just worked. Was able to play Apple AAC formats and got a nice display in the stereo window asking me whether I wanted to view playlists, albums etc..

Song name appears and am able to navigate using the steering wheel controls.

A nice little bonus.
tremly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tremly For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2010, 18:52   #22
pixelworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremly View Post

I was about to export all my songs to MP3 and put on memory stick when I realised that an ipod is in effect a large memory stick.

Anyway decided to try it out and just plugged in iPod into the USB port and it all just worked. Was able to play Apple AAC formats and got a nice display in the stereo window asking me whether I wanted to view playlists, albums etc..

A nice little bonus.

Yeah the new USB slots have the iPod/iPhone functionality directly built in .. very cool
pixelworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:03   #23
david.matthewson

Default I=pod & number of tracks - folders

Hi Tremly - interesting to hear it worked for your I-pod.

I'm having problems with a 'fat' i-pod with lots of tracks on it. How big in GB &/or how many tracks/folders does yours have on it?

Thanks

David
david.matthewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:55   #24
tremly

Hi David,

I have a 160GB 5th generation ipod (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353#iPod_classic_160GB) which is full to the brim with songs. Something like 200 Artists 250 Albums and a few vidoes.

My wife has a 4th gen nano and that works as well. However a friend has an earlier 2nd Gen iPod (really think and black and whist display and it will not synch properly).

I tried to find on the Volvo site which iPod firmware it supports but not luck
Old May 21st, 2010, 14:08   #25
tedmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremly View Post

A nice little bonus.
So can you search via playlists/artist/album etc I tried my nano in the dealer and it just acted like an aux port, playing what was on the ipod at the time - didn't have my 160gb classic with me at the time?
tedmaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 23:46   #26
tremly

Hi there,

Its not a search function as such but I can choose playlists and navigate the ipod directory structure using the enter / exit buttons on the stereo.

I can also navigate songs using the wheel controls and the display shows song / album name which is not possible using AUX inputs.

It's clear not all are supported though as I tried my iPhone last night and it refused to synchronise.
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:31   #27
dazlewis1970

My 2010 model year USB works perfectly with a 160GB iPod classic, iphone, nano, and any USB stick I have tried with it (but you only get access through the folders on USB - i.e. not via "artist", or playlists).

In fact I have never had it not work with anything I tried.
dazlewis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 23:03   #28
krzemien

Apologies for resurrecting this particular thread, but didn't want to create a new one and that one seemed to suit it the most.

I have a question related to navigation when browsing vast music libraries: I assume that I am correct in saying that the only possible way of scrolling through folders / playlist are 'up' and 'down' arrows as well as using the controls on the steering wheel (where fitted)? In that case - and as I haven't figured out any other way - does anyone know why it's not possible to use numeric / letter keypad to - for instance - move quickly from 'A' to 'F' as well?

Another inconvenient thing is when playing an album, it's not possible to move one step up / one folder up apparently - is that also correct or is it only me?

I find it a bit annoying that having nearly 30GB of music stored on my iPod I still need to browse it alphabetically, piece after piece, like in old good times of PC DOS. It's very invconvenient and time wasting, especially when you want to access album / artist that starts with letter 'M' quickly...

Has anyone actually spoken to VOLVO about that? Maybe it would be worth considering doing that?
krzemien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 14:05   #29
Sanzomat

Hi, I agree with your observations, its the same for me and it is a pain that you can only search by scrolling through the list. The only help I can add is that you can also scroll the list using the tuning knob as well as the joypad. I find it much quicker to skip up and down the list by turning the knob, it seems to be speed sensitive so a quick flick gets you many letters further down the list that would take ages pressing the joypad.
Sanzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sanzomat For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 22:23   #30
krzemien

Sanzomat,

Thanks for your response and for confirming my observations.

I have also noticed that it's generally faster to scroll through various lists using the knob instead up/down buttons, but still think that there's is a space for improvement.

When I find a convenient moment I will try to speak to VOLVO customer services and will enquire about that - it's the only bit I find annoying in the whole car and probably it's worth exploring that further.
krzemien is offline   Reply With Quote