Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1 owner low mileage 240GL Auto for sale

Views : 2524

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:29   #1
1Owner

Default 1 owner low mileage 240GL Auto for sale

Hi, I'm new on here and have been asked to advertise my elderly Grandfather-in-Law's car for sale.

It is a 1987 240 GL Auto saloon on a "D" plate and is in very good condition. It has the original 230K engine, which I understand is a 2.3 litre carburettor unit. He is the original owner and the car has covered only 56,450 miles. It has Full Service History and MOT until 01.12.2009 and Tax till 31.12.09. Burgundy paintwork with beige interior.

The car has been on-the-road and in-use throughout his ownership and was garaged for the first 20 years.

There are no photos at present as I am in Northamptonshire and the car and owner are in Greater Manchester (Oldham area). The owner doesn't have a digital camera.

What would be a fair price to ask for this vehicle? Is anyone interested in buying it? If so I can exchange details for you and arrange for you to see the car at the owner's home.

Thanks for your help.
1Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 16:01   #2
57RKL

I am local to Oldham and may be interested in the car. You can email me directly richard@raltex.co.uk or send me a private mail on the forum.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:55   #3
jaycey001

is the car still for sale??
jaycey001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 15:32   #4
1Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycey001 View Post
is the car still for sale??
This car has not been sold. The elderly owner is still making the odd local journey in it prior to hanging up his driving gloves for good, so has not invited any potential buyers just yet, but his daughter (my mother-in-law) is encouraging him to do just that a.s.a.p.

If any of you want to PM your details (name, town, telephone number) to me, I will get him to contact you in due course. The car has not been advertised for sale anywhere else, so people on here would get first choice.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 14:51   #5
1Owner

OK chaps. This car is finally ready for sale. I have sent PMs to all those of you who have expressed an interest. I have never sent a PM before so hope that I have done it properly! If you are one of the people who has meanwhile got in touch, but have NOT now got a private message from me, please let me know either on the forum or by PM and include your e-mail address, so that I can contact you with the owner's details in that manner.

I think the owner is looking for 400 pounds.

Thanks for your patience!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 15:42   #6
1Owner

Default Photos added.

Right, I finally have some photos to post up. Just to re-iterate this is a one-owner auto 56,000 mile 2.3 litre carburettor car which can happily be driven away if purchased from its owner in the Oldham area before the MOT expires on 01.12.09. I think he is open to reasonable offers.

There's some rust around the rear wheel arches which will need attention and the wheels could do with sanding down and re-painting, but other than that I believe it is a sound car.

Last edited by 1Owner; Oct 5th, 2009 at 15:45.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 22:07   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Red 240 Auto

For those who might be contemplating this car I hope this will be helpful.

In my quest for a new winter project I did go across the M62 last week for a closer look.

In the end I decided not to buy the car because I felt that the rust around the rear arches was a bit more than my limited metalwork skills could economically resolve. There was some rust too in patches along the drivers door step.

I can confirm however that the rusty patches aside, the car seems to be in pretty reasonable order. The engine fired up easily and ran smoothly, and the GL interior would spruce up very well.

For someone with the necessary bodywork skills this car would I think make the basis of a good restoration. Alternatively, as the source of a good low-mileage engine, autobox and running gear then this car would be hard to beat.

The interior is not particularly worn, just in need of a good clean, and everything bar the door pockets appeared to be present. The 'missing' rear headrest is in the boot and could be refitted.

I've no connection with the owner, or interest in the car, other than hoping that an enthusiast with a bit more bodywork ability than have I will be able to make sure this car doesn't end up being lost to the scrap man. The MoT runs out in December, so before then the car could easily be driven away.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 17:15   #8
1Owner

OK everyone, we need to get this sold now. So the first person to roll up with 175 quid can drive this car away, as long as they get the deal done by the end of November, before the MOT runs out.

Please call the owner (Mr Harold Ward) directly in Shaw (just off M62) on 01706 847 330 to arrange a look.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 10:50   #9
Mike Warren

Smile vovlo auto for sale

has the car been sold?
Mike Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 15:08   #10
yoda960
Volvo 960

Looks like some dealer bought it :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1987-VOLVO-240...item414a40adec
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote