Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 GLT 1990/H - Buy it or it'll probably be scrappaged

Views : 4452

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 02:23   #21
minesa240x3
loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
Scrappage is such a con
TO the environment!
Sixteen plus years and not having been recycled once!now thats eco effective,A lesser car may have been recycled ten or more times in that period.costing the environment plenty.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 02:33   #22
minesa240x3
loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmundator View Post
Unless you have an old car that appears to be worthless, no deposit and want at least £2000 off a new car.
I agree with you in one respect,and to be fair you have offered it for what it owes you even less,But your new car will depressiate by more than two thousand pounds just as it leaves the forecourt,And my point !well I haven't really got one but it is a shame for those of us who sadly think the GLT in that particulare colour and spec should be cherished.I'm also sure that if I had to sell mine then I would.
You seemed quite keen when you first got the car and you certainly spent time and money on it,Still all the best to you and to the car"REST IN PEACE".
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 11:19   #23
57RKL

When the gloss and excitement of the new car has worn off, and your neighbour gets something better, (usually about 6months) you will left a miserable looking little car costing about £250 a month in depreciation, a car with no redeeming features besides the 'Badge'. Goodbye dear GLT goodbye sob
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 19:23   #24
edmundator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57RKL View Post
When the gloss and excitement of the new car has worn off, and your neighbour gets something better, (usually about 6months) you will left a miserable looking little car costing about £250 a month in depreciation, a car with no redeeming features besides the 'Badge'. Goodbye dear GLT goodbye sob
You could always come and put £650 quid in my hand...

I will be left with a more refined, more fuel-efficient, cheaper-to-run car that I will be able to enjoy owning for the entire lifetime of the car, knowing that it has been looked-after exactly how it should be. I enjoy driving old cars, but between the 3 20+ year old cars I've been trying to use for my 50 mile/day commute, I'm easily spending £250/month in repairs and spending more in fuel than I will be with a newer car. I anticipate that my first few years of servicing a brand new car will be significantly cheaper (I don't intend to visit the dealer).
edmundator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 22:02   #25
740 In France
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmundator View Post
You could always come and put £650 quid in my hand...

I will be left with a more refined, more fuel-efficient, cheaper-to-run car that I will be able to enjoy owning for the entire lifetime of the car, knowing that it has been looked-after exactly how it should be. I enjoy driving old cars, but between the 3 20+ year old cars I've been trying to use for my 50 mile/day commute, I'm easily spending £250/month in repairs and spending more in fuel than I will be with a newer car. I anticipate that my first few years of servicing a brand new car will be significantly cheaper (I don't intend to visit the dealer).
We bought a brand new LHD toyota corolla diesel 2 and a half years ago and sold it yesterday!! It cost 21.500 euros then and we only got 8,000euros for it with 44,300 kilometres on the clock. Sold it as we are going to move to Ireland. It was ultra reliable and cheap to run 50mpg plus, but the depreciation was unbeliavable!!!
I would only buy a new RHD car that was about 1 to 2 years old and let someone else take the hit on the depreciation!! We are going to keep the 240GLT and buy another toyota /corolla diesel in Ireland. Good luck with your new car and hope its as excellent as our corolla for reliability. James
740 In France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 22:15   #26
edmundator

Depreciation isn't a concern for me as I intend to keep the car indefinitely; my dad had a 240 GL estate from 1983-1998, over which time depreciation is probably not so relevant.
The Following User Says Thank You to edmundator For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 12:07   #27
57RKL

I saved a 240gl saloon last week from the knackers yard to go with three other 240s I own plus a Saab 96V4 and my Civic runaround. I cant take any more waifs and strays.

I came back to 240s two years ago after my V70D5 hand in hand with Volvo main dealers robbed me blind. Over complicated suspension conponents and electric everything including a £850 new speedo means that at a certain age and mileage, you WILL be visiting a BMW main dealers and when you do........

Fuel economy wont seem so important then.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 19:31   #28
magneto

Check out LPG - I had my GLT Saloon converted inexpensively (£750) and have enjoyed motoring at the equivalent of 59mpg, plus I believe emissions are mainly water. Keep the Volvo, save - and buy a bike with the money. Best of both worlds!
magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 21:25   #29
edmundator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto View Post
and buy a bike with the money.
Sorry, I don't want to die.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 21:40   #30
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

You dont die because you ride a bike. It would help the sale of your car if your stopped being so negative to peoples comments.....
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote