Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Particulate Filter DPF

Views : 34831

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2009, 21:32   #11
Martin Cox
VOC Member

There is some useful information about diesel particulate filters from the AA

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html

Basically, they say don't buy a diesel with a particulate filter if you're doing mostly town driving. Not exactly progress is it?

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 11:47   #12
Tigerseye

As I don't do short journeys it doesn't really apply to me but my colleague (who will also cover around 35 - 40,000 miles p.a.) took delivery of a VW Golf about a year ago and it has broken down and been off the road more times than he can remember because of the VW DPF. He is not a happy bunny!
Tigerseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 23:29   #13
sqig

i have just been on a delphi diesel common rail cource to do with my work and it covered dpf, all you need to do when the light starts comming on is to take it for a "spirited" drive to clear the dpf out, but if it become completeley blocked you have to take it to a garage with suitible equipment to enable dpf regeneration which basicly enables a really late injection of diesel that put the exhaust temprature through the roof and in turn burns all the crap out your exhaust
sqig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 10:06   #14
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
There is some useful information about diesel particulate filters from the AA

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html

Basically, they say don't buy a diesel with a particulate filter if you're doing mostly town driving. Not exactly progress is it?

Martin
Now they tell me

My first diesel purchase was a Rover 218 TD circa 1995 [no DPF's in them days] One of my regular customers was a diesel mechanic [we owned a country pub back then] I told him to give me the nod when a good low mileage turbo diesel came in. Sure enough, 27k on the clock "mint" condition, went to see it on a Sunday after the dinner time session. garage owner was on his boat off the Welsh coast [we are in North Yorks] A bit of haggling on the price [no PX involved] and it was mine.

Of course, it was a big mistake, as bought it without discussing it with the wife. Oh dear, it was red, and worse than that, below the rubbing strip on the doors it was grey. For months after all I got was, I don't like the colour, and every time we passed one coming the other way the wife would say.... an old persons driving it [usually the petrol model] Eventually even I was profiling the drivers of passing 200 series Rover.

Women have this capacity to grind you down, and sure enough in the end I sold it for a quite life, and bought a Mondeo.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 10:14   #15
Dazzlev70r

I just find it funny

In the bid to make a "green car" and boast they run the highest level you can get of enviromentaly friendly emmisions they made a car only fit for reps and motorway drivers

But how many of these sort of drivers do they actualy get through the showroom door?
And the salesmen say nothing

How long before things blow up in there faces
Anyone remember the Prius was the green thing then someone worked the real life figures out
Whatever happened to car designers whos brief was to make a well built car looking great and getting max speed / economy and comfort etc
now there similar to politicians - tell us what we want to hear and make no comment etc on the rest
If DPF is way forward why havent all engines got this
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzlev70r For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 12:57   #16
catch22
Master Member

Default found this thread on Honest John

Focus DPF or Non-DPF

Yes I know I pick up my petrol Focus today but I'm still interested in the DPF debate.

It seems Volvo ain't any dearer than other marques really regards DPF's

Quote:
the DPF on my Zafira failed to REGEN correctly and eventually failed completely resulting in the car having to be returned to the Vauxhall dealer on the back of a transporter.

It took VX 3.5 weeks to source a replacement and although I never paid (under warranty), the bill for the part for £1100. Since then I've suffered with a number of DPF Sensor problems resulting in the Engine Management Light comming on and reduced power being available - this has happened despite the car NOT being used as an around town/school run vehicle.

After previously replacing the DPF sensor, the latest failure shows this to be at fault again and will now be opened as a case with VX Head Office (so I'm told).

So it looks like DPF (across manufacturers) is here to stay.... Perhaps I might look at petrol cars again.
then comments on the newer CDPF

Quote:
Your Mondeo IV it's brand new? Because starting with 2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI has a CDPF which it's maintenace free.
and this lower down
Quote:
formation regarding a CDPF :

CDPF - Catalysed Diesel Particulate Filter

The combination of a Silicium Carbide particulate filter with a duel function catalyst containing platinum and base metal. The catalyst lowers the soot combustion temperature, allowing the filter to self-regenerate during periods of high exhaust gas temperature.

Reduction of particulate matter (PM) and soluble organic fraction up to 98% .
Reduction of CO, HC and NO2 up to 90% .
Regenerates at normal diesel operating temperatures.
Does not require ultra low sulfur diesel or any additive.

In general the passive CDPF operating conditions requires an engine exhaust temperature above 250˚C for at least 30% of the operation.
followed by

Quote:
>> In general the passive CDPF operating conditions requires an engine exhaust temperature
>> above 250oC for at least 30% of the operation.

And if it doesn't do this before it is nearly full (i.e. temperature not reached) it will try an active regeneration by injecting diesel into the exhaust to burn and increase temperature. Some of this on some cars can end up in the sump.

If active regeneration does not happen then the car goes into limp mode and the car can only be regenerated at the dealers. And if left without doing this will eventually need a new DPF.
I hope you don't mind me popping in even when I go ex Volvo, because this is a cracking forum, populated by nice people.....I'm brown nosing now...no I'm not, ignore him

Last edited by catch22; Oct 16th, 2009 at 13:03.
catch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 17:36   #17
Dazzlev70r

lol im now ex Volvo myself

giving VW a go I wouldnt say its in the same class as the Volvo but im getting to like it as it goes

Still hoping Volvo get things together as I can change cars again in a year
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 00:53   #18
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

well , working in the exhaust aftertreatment industry , i should say that , its only really the DPF getting blocked from part throttle running , you need to give it an italian tune up .

our systems which cover HGV/PCV have pre heaters and also do have CATs which make the DPF regenerate more often , technology has been about for a while now , most automotive car manufacturers havent really caught up .

theres two methods currently been used by manufacturers , high pressure injection /EGR - and ADblue . itll take a while for car manufacturers to catch up , but i cant see many people wanting to fill their motor with cow**** .

theres other technologys including using a fuel additive to lower regeneration temps aswell as active regeneration , but youll find they all require some different style of driving .
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 17:39   #19
br1anuk

Default Replace V70 with Qashqai+2

I was thinking of replacing the V70 with a qasqai+2 untill I had a look at their forum and read about their DPF problems. The Qashqai the "Urban" car...........if you have a couple of days to read it.

http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/dpf-p...152_page1.html

Brian
br1anuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 19:27   #20
khoojohn

As part of my "research" for my next car, I have been joining a number of forums and beleive me almost every make of car seems to have some thread on this.. even BMW.

Strangely, some of them seem to say that all you need to do is change down your gear so that the revs attain 2500 or higher for a period which would make the DPF hot enough to burn off the particulates. That's what happens to my current BMW which is an Automatic, on certain occassions, II notice it will hold the gear change so my revs shoots up. After about 30seconds or so, it will then change down. At irst I was wondering why my auto won't change but after reading the emails in BMW forum, I know now and left it. To date (it's been 2 plus years) I do not have any issue with the DPF. Now the run-flats is another matter.....
khoojohn is offline   Reply With Quote