Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety Recall Notice

Views : 13211

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2010, 16:51   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

The particulate filter stores soot particles ( black smoke) so the gas coming out the rear is extremely clean .. Roughly every tank of fuel there is a regeneration process carried out , an extra squirt of fuel is given after the power stroke to increase the temperature of the exhaust gas , this will then burn away the soot particles stored in the Particle filter and leave it empty ready to absorb more soot ... It seem that some of this extra fuel is going past the pistons into the sump .. but its not like petrol which will wash away any oil , Diesel fuel is very oily anyway so i guess the small extra percentage must be deemed safe .. It will eventualy evaporate off on a long journey , but perhaps the cars concerned dont do many longer journeys ..
Old May 31st, 2010, 00:13   #12
dan 244
Master Member

I have a v50 D5 and started a thread in the v50 section, and then noticed this one. We have had the letter, and oil is about 15mm above the max mark, and ouite runny in my opinion.

I will be booking my car in next week, but wont be happy unless the oil and filter is changed, if I wanted to save money on my last oil change and have deisel at 1.20 / l instead of oil at a great deal more, I woudnt have paid 300 pounds for the service.

What hapens to these cars once out of warentee as mine runs out in september, and I had planned on keeping it till five years old. Its only done 16500 miles at the moment. (Alough the low milage it is not short journeys, most are 10 - 20 miles, just a couple of times a week, not every day.)

If I had to be doing 25000 miles a year to prevent problems it would have been nice to know two years ago when I bought it!
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:48   #13
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

Thanks Clan, that's very informative.
My car does most of it's miles on the M11. 80 mile round trip most days, and I get through a tank of Derv a week.
However, I do also spend between 1 and 2 hours a day queing in traffic for the Blackwall Tunnel. In your opinion is this excessive time spent with the engine effectivly idling adding to the problem?
(Probably sounds mad to anyone not familiar with South London, The first 5 miles of my journey to get across the river takes 5 times longer than the next 35 miles going North, and in reverse going back home South)
Old May 31st, 2010, 23:18   #14
kev ryder

have a 58 v70 2.4d,just got my letter,always find it hard to dip properly,do it cold on a morning,pull stick out,wipe and re dip,but always seems to be oil dripping all down stick making it hard to get a true level,anyone else got this problem,does seem very watery today thou.
kev ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 08:58   #15
Eltel2812

Kev

Mine's the same, difficult to check usually takes two or three wipes to get a "true" reading even when cold but it's well above the max mark. However I think it was overfilled at the last service as well which hasn't helped. It's going in today for attention.

I note in the letter it says if you can't turn the engine off apply the parking brake and leave it until it stops running - I assume that'll be when all the engine oil has been burnt and it's seized solid! Does anyone know if you could stall it under these conditions - presumably not with a geartronic?

Terry
Eltel2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 17:17   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltel2812 View Post
Kev

Mine's the same, difficult to check usually takes two or three wipes to get a "true" reading even when cold but it's well above the max mark. However I think it was overfilled at the last service as well which hasn't helped. It's going in today for attention.

I note in the letter it says if you can't turn the engine off apply the parking brake and leave it until it stops running - I assume that'll be when all the engine oil has been burnt and it's seized solid! Does anyone know if you could stall it under these conditions - presumably not with a geartronic?

Terry
Not with auto no , but you might hold the rpm down with the footbrake fully applied for long enough to prevent heating the oil too much and reducing the runaway effect and it might stop ..
But dont hold it for too long or the auto box oil will overheat . I think volvo are saying let it run away , its safer to repair the engine than endanger yourself or others ..
If you have manual you might just stall it and be ok .. , if it were me i'd leave it in gear running away down the road and apply the brakes until it stalled , that way the clutch wont overheat and fade away to nothing ..
But this run away is most unlikely to happen its a very rare thing if your engine is worn as well ..
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 21:22   #17
dan 244
Master Member

dealer cant look at mine untill wednesday 9th June, have spoken to volvo uk today as I am not happy with diluted engine oil drained down to 3/4 full, as in effect with the dilution of deisel probably only 5/8 oil 1/8 deisel. I only had the car serviced 1500 miles ago, and have level 15mm above the full mark, so 1500 miles more, and I wil be getting something like 1/3 deisel in my sump, this cant be good.

They are due to phone me back am tomorow. I feel that as they have no resolution to this problem that they should be draining oil, and replacing to the 3/4 mark, as they have been instructed on new services. Otherwise in 1500 miles time are they going to drain down to the 3/4 mark again and dilute the oil further.

My gues is they will be very reluctant to do this, as I was quoted 145 pounds by the dealer for just a drain down and new oil.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 21:55   #18
Tony g6hbq
VOC Member

I suppose if we all stick together and insist on new Oil and Filter, they might take notice.
I spoke to my dealer today who said the software had been done on 24/5 when the car was in for an electrical fault.
I said I felt the Oil had been compromised and I wanted fresh oil and filter.
I will speak to Volvo tomorrow to reinforce my point.
Tony g6hbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 22:12   #19
dan 244
Master Member

good luck
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:16   #20
Eltel2812

Had mine done yesterday. No new oil or filter - but I had only done 3K since last service - I'd be more concerned if I'd done a lot more. Got a Volvo letter saying it had been drained to 2/3 full and to keep it at that until further notice. To be honest I can only recall the odd regeneration in that 3K miles that I detected i.e drop in MPG and everything very hot under the bonnet and exhaust so it probably hadn't diluted much in any case and it had been overfilled at last service.
Eltel2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eltel2812 For This Useful Post: