Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Trailer Electrics Socket Wiring

Views : 12897

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 14:37   #1
mingthemerciless

Default V70 Trailer Electrics Socket Wiring

V70 Towbar Twin Electrics

I have also just installed a towbar and twin electrics on my 2001 V70 D5 SE.

My Towequippe supplied Brink detachable towbar (excellent) was supplied with everything ,fog cutout & fridge relays, indicator buzzer etc required to complete installation.

I did not want to use scotchlock connections or cut vehicle wiring so chose instead to use a Volvo trailer plug connector & loom supplied by Tow Trust (also available at right connections) which is easily disconnected, much neater and I think looks professional for £35 see photograph.

Two relays are supplied with kit M1-7 (Fog LampCutOut also requires VADIS software enable) & MA-1 (Ign Switched 12V Power) ready to plug into luggage area fusebox & relay sockets (load area LHS under cover). Two additional blade fuses F15 (Towbar 12v Battery Supply) are required,
F9 (Ignition switched 12V supply) are also also required to plug into fusebox.

A connections table below translates internal vehicle wiring colour & pin at volvo prepared trailer plug (located behind spare wheel) thro to towbar 12N & 12S socket pins with aid of V70 "typical Trailer wiring" diagram in Haynes Manual.

Prior to completion I took a photo of connecting plug etc (excuse temporary choc block connection for power, I'm going to fit a 20A connector which can easily be modified to suit older pre 98 caravans ).

Connections from Volvo prepared trailer ready grey socket to Towbar 12S & 12N Sockets

12S Socket 7 Core Cable Grey Volvo Trailer Plug

12S Pin Colour Function Vehicle Trailer Plug Pin

1 Yellow (Reverse Light) --||-- Blue/Yellow - Blue -12
2 Blue (Not Used - insulate) NC
3 White (Vehicle Earth) --||-- (Vehicle earth/Chassis) NC
4 Green (15A Caravan Supply)--||-- Thick Red (perm 12V) -2
5 Brown (Not Used Insulate) NC
6 Red (20A Fridge Supply) --||-- Thick Blue (Ign sw 12V) -1
7 Black (Fridge Earth) --||-- (Vehicle earth/Chassis) NC

12N Socket 7 Core cable Grey Volvo Trailer Plug
12N Pin Colour Function Vehicle Trailer Plug Pin
1 Yellow LH Flasher --||-- Green 10
2 Blue Fog Lamp --||-- Pink 5
3 White Earth --||-- Black 7
4 Green RH Flasher --||-- Green/White 9
5 Brown RH Tail & Plate --||-- Grey 8
6 Red Stop Lamp --||-- Yellow 4
7 Black LH Tail --||-- White 11

Parts required:
Plug & wiring loom to trailer sockets --> www.rightconnections.co.uk/contact.htm or Towbars Direct 01925730005
Relays M1-7 & M1-A (supplied with kit but available from Lucas or Volvo for around £5.00
20A & 15A Blade Fuses
Spade Crimp
Eyelet Crimps
Small cable ties
3.5mm drill holes for vehicle earth connection self tapping screws

Time required approx 2 hours

good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf V70 Trailer Wiring Diagram.pdf (196.8 KB, 402 views)
File Type: pdf V70 Fusebox.pdf (235.9 KB, 267 views)
File Type: pdf V70 Towbar Wiring Photo.pdf (211.3 KB, 371 views)
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 17:49   #2
ALANT5RBEAL
mature member

Default V70 Wiring

I also tow with my V70 I had the Volvo Kit fitted but have no power for my fridge and nobody seem to understand the electrics HELP
Alan
ALANT5RBEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 06:58   #3
JackT5

Alan, what year is your caravan as the fridge wiring on caravans changed in 1998/99, check Bobs electrics thread further down this section.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:15   #4
EWAC
too long to remember

Thumbs up

This is a big thanks to Mingthemerciless for supplying a link and details of the towbar wiring kit he used.

I contacted the same guy and purchased a complete kit for my V70 for a total cost of apporx £70.
it consisted of a 13pin socket to vehicle harness and 13pin to 2x7pin.
the whole wiring kit took 30mins to fit due to its ease (no soldering or drilling required). i took another 5-10mins checking out the connections were correct with a voltmeter.

the kit came with excellent instructions and the additonal fuses and relays required to connect up to the fridge.

many thanks.
EWAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 13:45   #5
Andy
Master Member

Great thread!

I'm looking at the Brink towbar from Towequipe:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

- is Brink the OEM supplier to Volvo? My Westfalia detachable towbar for my Passat from Towequipe turned up in a VW box with VW instructions, that made me feel good knowing I'd saved a few quid

Is this wiring kit mentioned in the above posts really plug and play? Volvo want £93 for the wiring loom and a futher £13 for the software update but they assure me it's completley plug and play. I'm useless at electrics so the prospect of plugging a few things in is appealing. Seems to me that with the Volvo one being £13 more I might as well get that!

Last thing do I really need to cut the bumper? Is there a template supplied?

Many thanks

Just found this: http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories....asp?DocId=246

Last edited by Andy; Oct 6th, 2006 at 14:02.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 16:19   #6
Gerry44

most interesting article - however I am unable to open the attached files. They are in adobe, could you help?? I want to use our caravan and charge the fridge ect
Gerry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 00:02   #7
NickMV70

I have a 2001 v70 and fitted a Volvo 13 pin specific plug and play wiring kit only about £30.00. I spent ages in a baffled state of mind as the fridge wound work when in transit. Someone then kindly informed me that the fridge isn't automatically earthed via the socket. Pin number 11 was swiftly earthed and result - works a treat now. I also had to purchase a separate relay switch for position MA1 and this enabled the battery charge function. £9 from volvo
NickMV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 22:49   #8
DarkendViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMV70 View Post
I have a 2001 v70 and fitted a Volvo 13 pin specific plug and play wiring kit only about £30.00. I spent ages in a baffled state of mind as the fridge wound work when in transit. Someone then kindly informed me that the fridge isn't automatically earthed via the socket. Pin number 11 was swiftly earthed and result - works a treat now. I also had to purchase a separate relay switch for position MA1 and this enabled the battery charge function. £9 from volvo
Do you have the part number for the relay? Also where did you get the 13 pin kit for that price from, any links appreciated.
DarkendViper is offline   Reply With Quote