Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850R manual Clutch (?) shudder

Views : 1945

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 16:23   #11
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: 850R manual Clutch (?) shudder

Hi,
I hate problems without easy answers...drives me to distraction!!! Have you tried the loose/broken wire solution? As the engine flexes however slightly the wire makes or breaks? same with flexi hoses. Personally I would start to consider the flywheel machining and whether it was spotless when fitted. The peculiar thing about clutches is that they are designed to slip!!! Any oil at all on the faces and the snatch begins. Funny as you would expect oil to make it slip more!!! Trouble with mechanics including myself is that they have oily hands and assembling a clutch takes hands!!! With regard to the flywheel machining can make the surface porous and handling oil can get in. Last point which needs looking at is was the flwheel fitted properly with new bolts. It only takes the slightest bit of swarf/dirt to put it out of line. I feel best way if no other solution is found is to have it all out and the problem will stand out a mile. Merry Xmas Cheers Nige
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:05   #12
Shandy

Hi Guys,

When I first got my 850 Estate, I noticed clutch judder like you, but decided that it was because it was such a big car and I wasn't used to driving it / low revs etc. After a while I noticed a sticking tappet. I got this "sorted" at the garage and after about 1000 miles it eventually came free and the clutch judder stopped.

My thought on this was that the the engine wasn't operating at it's best and so it was struggling when normally it would have coped fine with a nice low rev pull away.

Just a thought, but it might help. Hope you've got it sorted.

Andy
Old Jan 10th, 2003, 22:31   #13
Guy

Hi,
I experienced a similar problem to yours on my 850r and the clutch was replaced with genuine volvo clutch kit,but problrem was still apparent. It was taken back to volvo workshops where a modified clutch and dual-mass flywheel kit was fitted, this cured my problem completely.

hope this helps
Guy.
Old Jan 10th, 2003, 23:16   #14
HCD

Simon,

Never heard of the R having an uprated clutch. That squeal is a worn bearing.

I the car is still in warranty (i guess it is not, being an 850R) you can get a new bearing replaced for free (and get them to change the plates at the same time). Turns £600 into £80.

Huw
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 13:46   #15
RSD402

Hi Folks

Replying to my original message for an update - thanks to all the folks that provided suggestions.

Since the problem arose, I have done about 5000 kms and the clutch has not changed its behaviour. Back to the folks that installed the clutch and after some close examination (engine mounts, etc, etc), they concluded that the problem must be within the clutch unit.

Another new clutch plate and pressure plate and presto, problem has gone away. I had a look at the near-new genuine volvo parts that came out, and the only evidence of a problem was a series of spots on the pressure plate face, over about 1/4 of the circumference. This appears to be where it was grabbing, but there was no obvious cause for this. The clutch plate looked OK, but one could visualise a similar set of spots on the mating face. While the box was off they checked the runout on the flywheel and it was fine.

The clutch plate and pressure plate that were removed are going back to volvo for assessment.

The folks that did the work didn't charge me for the labour (ie total cost $0.00) for this latest clutch transplant, for which I will be eternally grateful.

Hope this info is of interest
Wolfgang