Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 tow bar and wiring?

Views : 10043

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2008, 14:24   #1
Saul

Default 850 tow bar and wiring?

I am just cleaning this Witter tow bar up to paint and then fit to my 850 estate. Has anyone done this before and have any advice or links they could share. Particularly the electrical connections in the car. ? I am competent at soldering and intend to connect the tow bar socket wiring to the cars loom.

Click photos to enlarge.

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 12:59   #2
NickBW

I think you should find a connection in the wiring harness (under nsr floor panel) with a connector plug ready to accept the wiring harnes. It all depends of course on if you mind cutting this off and whether or not you want to fit a buzer to give audible confirmation of the trailer/towed vehicle indicator lights working correctly, or use Volvos built in warning light in the instrument cluster.
Your wiring harness looks a real mess to me. If I were doing the job I would buy the main stealer harness (which isn't too dear) and makes a very quick and easy job.
Did this two years ago and found it easy. If you want to look at a copy of Volvos instructions send me your email and I will send scanned copy. Hope this helps Nick
NickBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 12:59   #3
upv5
VOC Member

Nick

I've got a Volvo wiring harness that I'm planning to fit but I have no instructions, I sure would appreciate it if you could email me a copy to jbutter2@ford.com

Saul

Sorry to jump in on your thread, if you're using a single 7 pin plug the wiring is fairly simple if you dont mind scotchlocking into the rear light units. This site gives some simple wiring diagrams www.watling-towbars.co.uk/towbars.html

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 16:48   #4
Saul

Hello again, sorry its been awhile but I have finally got around to bolting on my tow bar which went ok.
Now I could do with some advice on wiring it up. I'm confident that I can solder the connections and such but I just wanted to confirm if the connector in the pic is the right one for the towbar electrics?

Is this the one?

Also I am puzzled as to where the wire from the 12N socket comes through the body work of the car. There are a couple of rubber gromits that I have found but both are a long way from the connector in the picture. Is there a specific route to bring the wire in? I just thought I would check as I don't want to be drilling holes in the boot floor unnecessarily.

Nick I would appreciate it if you would email me a copy of the fitting instruction to.

robsandey@yahoo.com

Cheers Saul
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 23:26   #5
dan_V70tdi

Default 850 tow bar and wiring?

Hi Saul

I can't seem to find anything 850 specific. But, check here for the V70 instructions, which as far as I am aware are virtually identical. I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong. The original page which the pdf came from can be found here.

I hope to be fitting a t-bar to mine in the not too distant, so let me know how you get on.

Nice job on the refurbing by the way.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 12:34   #6
upv5
VOC Member

Saul

Wiring instructions for the genuine Volvo harness are not available online or from dealer for 850/V70 classic unless you buy the harness as well, I know cause I've tried. I was hoping that NickBW would scan and e-mail his copy but no luck yet.
The box in your photo is in the right place and looks like the bulb failure monitor although mine is black.
The grommet fitted to the Volvo harness is about two inches diameter and I expected the hole to be on the centre line at the back, but as yet I have not looked.

If you read this Nick my e-mail is jbutter2@ford.com

and Saul's is robsandey@yahoo.com

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote