Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Towing capability?

Views : 10784

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 01:00   #1
DMACKUK

Default V50 Towing capability?

I have bought a Sterling Europa 520 caravan (too good a deal to pass up) with a MTPLM of 1415kg and when I use the Towcar Info website, it states that the caravan is a bit heavy for my V50 2.0D.

I am looking for some feedback from any members who have towed a caravan of a similar weight with a V50. I am of the opinion that the outfit, with care, will be fine, but if needs must, I will have to change to a V70. In fact, I have placed an add elsewhere on this forum to see if there is any one interested in a swap for a V70 but I really don't want to part with my V50 if I can help it as it has only done 29K and it is a pleasure to drive.

Any advice will be warmly received.
DMACKUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 00:51   #2
axle4

taken from the caravan club site, i took a guess as to how old they are.

Match reportDownload report

The Club advises that a Volvo V50 2.0D S Sportswagon (2009) can, with warnings, tow a Sterling Europa 520 (2007)

2 Kerbweight ratio: 97%The caravan's laden weight is close to the car's kerb weight, increasing the risk of stability concerns. This outfit should not be driven by novice towers, and does not meet Club guidelines. Note that a small increase in ratio (to perhaps 90%) is acceptable if all other criteria are passed.
1 Towing limit ratio: 94%The caravan's laden weight is within the car's stated towing limit, and therefore meets legal limitations.
1 Gross train weight ratio: 98%The sum of the car and caravan’s fully laden weights is within the car’s gross train weight. This outfit can therefore be used legally with both the car and the caravan fully laden.
1 Nose weight ratio: 132%The car's nose weight should be fine to safely tow this caravan. If this figure is high, however, (typically over 100%) care will be needed to load the caravan so that the car’s nose weight limit is not exceeded, but this should be practically achievable. Aim for 5-7% of the caravan’s actual laden weight without overloading the car.
1 BHP per ton : 44The car’s engine power should be fine to safely tow this caravan.
Glossary of terms

Volvo V50 2.0D S Sportswagon (2009)
Make Volvo
Range 2.0D S Sportswagon
Model V50
Year 2009
Fuel type Diesel
Transmission type Manual
Body type Estate
Kerb weight 1456.00kg
Towing limit 1500.00kg
Gross vehicle weight 1960.00kg
Gross train weight 3460.00kg
Nose weight 75.00kg
BHP 136
RPM for maximum BHP 4000.00
Maximum torque 320.00
RPM for maximum torque 2000.00

More info
Overall height 1452.00mm
Overall width 1770.00mm
Overall length 4514.00mm
Engine size 2.00
Driven wheels Front
Number of doors 5
Number of speeds 6
Self levelling suspension No
Stability control Standard
Trailer stability prog. Unknown
Transmission description Manual
CO2 153
Emission standards met E4
Trailer braked % incl. 12.00
Trailer unbraked % incl. 12.00
Sterling Europa 520 (2007)
Make Sterling
Range Europa
Model 520
Year 2007
Type Caravan
Berths 4
Number of axles 1
MTPLM 1415kg
MIRO 1200kg
User payload 215kg
Hitch limit 0
Shipping length 6.91m
Overall width 2.23m
Overall height 2.70m

so yes you can but it is on the limit. hope it helps

Last edited by axle4; Oct 6th, 2012 at 00:56.
axle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 23:16   #3
DMACKUK

Many thanks, much as I love my V50 it appears that I may have to look to a V70 for my future touring. While it may be theoretically fine to tow with the V50 , I would rather have spare capacity.

Oh well, know anyone that would like to buy an immaculate V50 2.0D SE (2005) with only 29,000 miles?
DMACKUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DMACKUK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 09:43   #4
dennisl1
VOC President

Default V50 towing

I have now had two V50's 2.0Ds both manual and have towed an Eldiss with an all up weight of 1325 kgs with both of them. Whilst I have no doubt that the V 50 would actually pull your new toy I personally would be a little concerned that the 'tail might wag the dog' in anything less than ideal conditions. Which, when caravanning is supposed to be fun, would take the edge off it for me at the start of a long run and I started towing 'vans in 1985 so am not inexperienced.
dennisl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dennisl1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 17:27   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMACKUK View Post
I have bought a Sterling Europa 520 caravan (too good a deal to pass up) with a MTPLM of 1415kg and when I use the Towcar Info website, it states that the caravan is a bit heavy for my V50 2.0D.

I am looking for some feedback from any members who have towed a caravan of a similar weight with a V50. I am of the opinion that the outfit, with care, will be fine, but if needs must, I will have to change to a V70. In fact, I have placed an add elsewhere on this forum to see if there is any one interested in a swap for a V70 but I really don't want to part with my V50 if I can help it as it has only done 29K and it is a pleasure to drive.

Any advice will be warmly received.
I doubt you are going to load the van to max weight though are you? (1415)...or do you cart a load of stuff in it?

Myself personally I would prefer a larger heavier car such as V70, although if you are well within limits (total weight car and caravan), surely you will be ok.

Yes there is an 85% recommendation, and I have always tried to tow within this, although the times I have been over this, have never had any problems with stability etc so long as I paid attention to an even weight distribution.

Regards

ps never towed with a V50
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote