Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing vehicle V40 vs V70/850 estate

Views : 8764

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 18:24   #1
Ross9
Master Member

Default Towing vehicle V40 vs V70/850 estate

Hi peeps.

I'll shortly be looking to buy a tow car as I will be using my Rover as a dedicated track and 1/4 mile car from now.

It appears there are plenty of V40 Turbo Diesels kicking around with 1999-2001 plate versions being available for good low prices.

There doesnt seem to be as many of the V70/850 Estate Turbo Diesels around though.

So basically, will the V40 TD be up to towing the trailer with the Rover on it or not. I'm not sure how much a car trailer weighs, around 500kg I imagine at most? the Rover will be stripped out and weigh in at 1000kg.

So thats 1500kg all in, I'm actually hoping trailers are slightly less than that as on my current licence due to passing after 1997 my towing licence covers a total train weight of 3500kg, and the tow car has to weigh more or equal to than the trailer and load combined. I'm not sure how much a V40 weighs.

I will however be upgrading my CLass 2 HGV licence to Class 1 at the same time I am purchasing the trailer etc (ie once I sell my subaru) so the weighting issues wont be of consequence then as far as my licence goes, as long as it is not inadvisable to have a heavier trailer than tow vehicle, bearign in mind when towing the trailer to events the tow vehicle will be laden with 2 peeps, a toolkit, trolley jack, spare wheels etc that will all add to the mass.

as much info and advice as possible will be much appreciated

Thanks

Ross
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 19:25   #2
timway
Snail Wars: A new shell

Smile

According to my S40/V40 handbook the max permissible braked towing weight for an x40 is 1200Kg for 1.6/1.8 petrols or 1400Kg for the 2.0/2.0LPT/T4/Diesels.

I think a V40 would weigh 1300-1400Kg depending on engine and spec (a 2.0 LPT V40 was weighed at 1400Kg by autocar)

weights of car trailers:
http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/cartrailers.htm
seem to start at about 400Kg for a small one

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 22:00   #3
Ross9
Master Member

Seems to be then that a V40 would be pushing it on my car licence, ok on my Class1 HGV. But a V70 is probably a better option if I can find one.

Cheers, any other comments very much appreciated.

Ross
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 22:41   #4
George Holmer

I would certainly not tow a heavy load with a V40 diesel. An 850 will do the job so much better.

Also, the permissable towing weight is fixed regardless of your licence. Even with the BE licence or C licence, a V40 cannnot tow 1500 kgs. Sorry if the confusion is mine but not sure I understood your last post.

At those loads, you would need a braked trailer and the rule is that the maximum laden weight of the trailer should not exceed the curb weight of the car. Usually, 80 per cent is mentioned as a guideline although this has no substance in law. I know it might not be an option but if you get used to towing and have towed a lot, try towing with a V8 Range Rover, you'll never wish to go back.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 00:27   #5
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Have a look through the following forum:
Linky...

For people who are not used to towing, the general consensus is to pull no more that 85% of the kerb weight of the tow vehicle. You can pull up to 100% of the tow vehicles kerb weight, given that it does not exceed the max recommended by the manufacturer.

Unbreaked trailer can weight up to 750Kg. Anything over that and you need to have a braking system in the trailer/caravan.
Both need a "break-away" braking system - I believe.

Where towing more than 3500Kg total train weight (car and trailer) it has been mooted that you may need a Tacho.
If towing for non commercial purposes - you don't need a tacho..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 18:47   #6
Ross9
Master Member

lol, the V8 Ranger Rover sounds ideal, but I neither wish to spend the initial purchas, or the running costs, on such a vehicle. I want a cheap estate capable of towing the Rover on a trailer.

I would have to have a 400kg trailer in order to tow the Rover with a V40 then it seems. Hopefully I can find myself an 850 or V70 then, these seem to be a lot thinner on the ground.

Ross
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 17:06   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross9
lol, the V8 Ranger Rover sounds ideal, but I neither wish to spend the initial purchas, or the running costs, on such a vehicle. I want a cheap estate capable of towing the Rover on a trailer.
Actually, a Disco3 would be Ideal. and the 2.8 Deisel version comes with great pulling power... Or the new V6 TDi - even better!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross9
I would have to have a 400kg trailer in order to tow the Rover with a V40 then it seems. Hopefully I can find myself an 850 or V70 then, these seem to be a lot thinner on the ground.
Ross
Depending on the trailer - 500Kg seems high for a frame trailer.
A 940 or 960 would be Ok up to either 1500Kg or 1600Kg 2.3 engine or better for petrol, or the Deisel 940.
Maybe even a 760 Turbo Deisel intercooler. . .
Certainly the V70 if you can find one going should be up to it.
You can always confirm tha Max you can tow at a dealer (I have not asked as I have neither a Deisel nor a V70)...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:57   #8
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

All modern cars have a plate giving maximum axle loads and max gross train weight. If these are exceeded you would be commiting an offence. Check these figures out. Work out what the car plus its load will be and take that away from gross train weight and that will give you what is left for the trailer. I would think the Volvo with the highest towwing weight capacity would be a 960. They can be purchased quite cheaply and on lpg not too bad to run.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 13:37   #9
senatorvermont

Default V70 d5

This is my first post, Hi everyone. I have recently got a V70 D5 to tow my 1500kg caravan. The car is rated up to 1800kg. I took the unit down to Spain in the spring had no problems and averaged 31mpg for 3500 miles overall. I towed with a 80kg nose weight which is a little high. But car load was not heavy. A friend who towed dow from Holland in a pertol version of the V70 remarked on heavy fuel consumption. Hope this is of some help.

Senatorvermont

2003 V70 D5 & Bailey Senator Arizona
senatorvermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 21:12   #10
JIM C
Forum Support Team

You want an 850, 940 or 960 for the weight you will be towing. I think a V40 would be to light. 945 SE Turbo is a great tow car and a good used purchase and cheaper to fix than an 850.