Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nivomats V Monroe

Views : 7107

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 23:06   #1
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Default Nivomats V Monroe

HI ALL
would like your opinion on the above, i have nivomats on the rear at the moment, i have had no issues untill recently, i have changed my caravan miro 1286 mtplm 1420. my old van was miro 1102 and mtplm 1300 or there abouts. i havent yet full loaded the new van and last weekend went away with the van not loaded to the maximum , when i hitched up the back end dropped silghtly which is understandable, when i load up for 2 weeks and you take a lot more the back end is going to drop more. i have been offered monroe shocks the ones that u pump up brand new for free , do i stick or twist to monroe. your thoughts please.
1996 850 tdi
mike
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 23:59   #2
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Get a cheaper van!

For the sake of an old fart, translate the acronyms into unladen weight, Gross laden weight, and nosewheel weight, please.

I'm a bit of a git and put my nosewheel weight up to between 70 and 100 lbs (when I have trouble lifting it it's heavy enough) and my Bulldog is done up to nearly twice the manufacturer's settings, and is rigged to put about another 50 to 75 lbs downforce on the bar (getting the tongue in is hard work).

The tail goes down when I put it on, but the nivomats jack it up and my headlights point right in less than a mile.

Worth it to sail past peasants when PC plod is not looking, no wagging!
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 00:02   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
HI ALL
would like your opinion on the above, i have nivomats on the rear at the moment, i have had no issues untill recently, i have changed my caravan miro 1286 mtplm 1420. my old van was miro 1102 and mtplm 1300 or there abouts. i havent yet full loaded the new van and last weekend went away with the van not loaded to the maximum , when i hitched up the back end dropped silghtly which is understandable, when i load up for 2 weeks and you take a lot more the back end is going to drop more. i have been offered monroe shocks the ones that u pump up brand new for free , do i stick or twist to monroe. your thoughts please.
1996 850 tdi
mike
You do know there is a maximum weight you can apply to your tow hook??
Your Volvo have a maximum nose weight of probably 75Kg's..

On that basis, i makes no difference as to the change in your caravan as you shouldn't be applying any more weight to the tow hook than you were before.
On that basis, you are not loading your new caravan correctly...

This may sound a stupid question but you do know how to load the caravan, don't you??

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 00:11   #4
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
HI ALL
1996 850 tdi
mike
Surely you have to load your caravan so that the weight on the tow hook is correct - a bigger heavier van should not affect the nose weight - dont you have a nose weight spring balance? Make sure the bigger heavier van is legal to tow with your car and if it still is fully legal when fully laden - load your van properly. This is not a shock absorber issue.
V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 00:14   #5
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
Worth it to sail past peasants when PC plod is not looking, no wagging!
i assume that was a spelling mustake and you meant pheasants :-)
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 06:38   #6
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

hi all
i am not after what my nose weight is , or do i load the van correctly am i legal etc. i have been caravaning for over 30 years so i no a bit about the rules and regs. should have kept this one simple, i will try again for towing purposes nivomat or monroe.
thanks
mike
ps quote This may sound a stupid question but you do know how to load the caravan, don't you?? thanks des this is for you This may sound a stupid question but you do know how to use a computer dont you???? ditto.
thanks
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 09:18   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
HI ALL
1996 850 tdi
mike
Well it shouldn't. Afterall, had you loaded the 'van correctly the nose weight would be the same and would have had NO MORE of an effect on the car to your previous 'van. As DLM48 says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM48 View Post
Surely you have to load your caravan so that the weight on the tow hook is correct - a bigger heavier van should not affect the nose weight - dont you have a nose weight spring balance? Make sure the bigger heavier van is legal to tow with your car and if it still is fully legal when fully laden - load your van properly. This is not a shock absorber issue.
Quote:
hi all
i am not after what my nose weight is , or do i load the van correctly am i legal etc. i have been caravaning for over 30 years so i no a bit about the rules and regs. should have kept this one simple, i will try again for towing purposes nivomat or monroe.
thanks
mike
ps quote This may sound a stupid question but you do know how to load the caravan, don't you?? thanks des this is for you This may sound a stupid question but you do know how to use a computer dont you???? ditto.
thanks
Therefore, if you are loading the van correctly and the nose weight stays at 75Kg the ride height, and even the initial start height, will remain the same.
Which was why this begged the question "do you know how to load the 'van correctly?" An just because you have been doing this for 30 years doesn't mean you have been doing it right for 30 years, does it??

If your shocks have been on the car for x years then they will be "worn" and if 10+ years old with Nivomats they could well be at the stage where they would be due for replacment anyway (nothing to do with the way you load your 'van).
And on that basis a set of new free anything would be better than the worn Nivo's...

But whichever way you go, I WOULD find out what your vehicles maximum permissible nose weight is (and acquire yourself a tow hook scales), as if you are exceeding it you are liable to find you are not insured and are pulled for some traffic offence or other relating to the excessive load on the vehicle... But Hey!! That's your problem, not mine..

As for computers? I know diddly-squat about computers.. I can bearly hit the keyboard in the right places...

Des. . .
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 17:32   #8
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Well it shouldn't. Afterall, had you loaded the 'van correctly the nose weight would be the same and would have had NO MORE of an effect on the car to your previous 'van. As DLM48 says:

Therefore, if you are loading the van correctly and the nose weight stays at 75Kg the ride height, and even the initial start height, will remain the same.
Which was why this begged the question "do you know how to load the 'van correctly?" An just because you have been doing this for 30 years doesn't mean you have been doing it right for 30 years, does it??

If your shocks have been on the car for x years then they will be "worn" and if 10+ years old with Nivomats they could well be at the stage where they would be due for replacment anyway (nothing to do with the way you load your 'van).
And on that basis a set of new free anything would be better than the worn Nivo's...

But whichever way you go, I WOULD find out what your vehicles maximum permissible nose weight is (and acquire yourself a tow hook scales), as if you are exceeding it you are liable to find you are not insured and are pulled for some traffic offence or other relating to the excessive load on the vehicle... But Hey!! That's your problem, not mine..

As for computers? I know diddly-squat about computers.. I can bearly hit the keyboard in the right places...

Des. . .
hi des
thanks for aLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL that info YET still the question hasent been answered NIVOMAT V MONREO i would like a mod to close the thread please.
I MUST LEARN TO KEEP THE QUESTION SIMPLE
WHERE DOES IT SAY I HAVE WORN SHOCKS WHERE DOES IT SAY THE SHOCKS ARE 10 + OLD it was a simple question really nivomats v monroe if i wanted a lecture about loading, nose weights i would have asked for one.
thanks
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Dec 6th, 2007 at 17:37.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 18:23   #9
DLM48
Master Member

ALL i can say is you ARE outnumbered here your abrasive replies to people who were trying to be helpful is for sure unwarranted.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 18:44   #10
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
hi des
thanks for aLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL that info YET still the question hasent been answered NIVOMAT V MONREO i would like a mod to close the thread please.
I MUST LEARN TO KEEP THE QUESTION SIMPLE
WHERE DOES IT SAY I HAVE WORN SHOCKS WHERE DOES IT SAY THE SHOCKS ARE 10 + OLD it was a simple question really nivomats v monroe if i wanted a lecture about loading, nose weights i would have asked for one.
thanks
mike
As you'll likely need to PAY for the Nivomats (unless you have someone offering you a free set?) then the better selection would be the Munroe shocks.

Do remember however when fitting either that you may need to change your springs.
If you have Nivo's at the moment you'll have weaker springs (and if I remember correctly, you did mention them in your first post ).
Not sure what the spring requirement is for the Monroe shocks so I would check up on that on their web site, or with a local expert (or someone here can advise..).

You might also want to consider one of these:
Linky....
Or
Linky....

Des. . .