Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

3 years of ownership, 2 dead batteries?

Views : 1645

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2018, 23:47   #1
StatusRed
Premier Member

Thumbs down 3 years of ownership, 2 dead batteries?

In 2015, the year I bought my car the battery was dead after I returned from a 7 day holiday, I suspected the battery was struggling a bit beforehand after not instantly starting a few weeks before, I had no idea how old this battery was so I replaced it with a battery which I thought was above the spec of the original (but from **ik fit, so arguable quality).

Today I just got back to my work carpark after being away on business for 11 days to collect my car and drive home.. battery dead tried to turn it over several times, I can hear some chuffing but then there's a load of clicking sounds and "Immobilizer try start again" appears on the dash. I couldn't be bothered to deal with it this evening so just ordered a taxi home and I'm going to walk into work and call out AutoAid tomorrow while at work.

Anyway, I thought I should expect a battery to last longer than 2-2.5 years? Or should I not based on buying it from **ik fit?

I'm trying to work out if this might be a deeper problem with the alternator or something killing batteries?

Cheers.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 00:34   #2
Bendolfc
Premier Member

I replaced mine just before Christmas as it was sluggish starting in the cold. Had been meaning to for a couple of years. It was the original so 12 years old so they should last a while assuming it's a decent battery.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 06:51   #3
Austin160
Master Member

Hello,
You don't tell us the make of the battery fitted by QF some 2years+ ago and what the guarantee period was/is on it.

That's the first port of call, and if within guarantee then get them to replace it unless they can confirm that it is serviceable.

If it's proved to be suspect and they agree to replace it, beware that it's not on a time-scale type guarantee where they will only cover the pro rata number if months left from a say 3 year guarantee - does happen. Just walk away.

If suspect, consider carefully the quality of a replacement before spending. Main dealer at discount, or something with a 5 year warranty such as Varta or Bosch - available at discount on line.

If the current battery is serviceable then you will need to have the car checked for a parasitic drain and the correct alternator output.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 09:35   #4
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Your mistake is you didn't buy a Volvo battery.

They last years and years and are not as expensive as everyone thinks.

I'd ring your local Volvo and get one of them fitted. It'll certainly last longer than 3 yeas...
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 12:59   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
Hello,
You don't tell us the make of the battery fitted by QF some 2years+ ago and what the guarantee period was/is on it.

That's the first port of call, and if within guarantee then get them to replace it unless they can confirm that it is serviceable.

If it's proved to be suspect and they agree to replace it, beware that it's not on a time-scale type guarantee where they will only cover the pro rata number if months left from a say 3 year guarantee - does happen. Just walk away.

If suspect, consider carefully the quality of a replacement before spending. Main dealer at discount, or something with a 5 year warranty such as Varta or Bosch - available at discount on line.

If the current battery is serviceable then you will need to have the car checked for a parasitic drain and the correct alternator output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Your mistake is you didn't buy a Volvo battery.

They last years and years and are not as expensive as everyone thinks.

I'd ring your local Volvo and get one of them fitted. It'll certainly last longer than 3 yeas...
Cheers guys. The brand is probably one of the cheaper ones offered by **ik fit, at the time I was an intern with very little disposable income so made a decision based on price I'll check the guarantee when I get back home. I agree that choosing a replacement now, I'd either get a genuine Volvo or a very well regarded 3rd party brand. I think it also might be time for me to invest in a decent booster pack.

There had been a lot of bad and cold weather in Glasgow while I'd been away (I left it there 28/02 when all the snow was landing), so maybe in combination with the bad weather and not driving it, the battery died.

I'm a bit concerned that in 9 days time I'm off again for almost 2 weeks, so this is likely to happen again!

Does anyone know if a parasictic drain would show itself in VIDA?

Old Mar 12th, 2018, 13:20   #6
Das boot
Premier Member

Check the alternator output and check the alternator diode pack isn’t backfeeding through the alternator . I had this problem on my T5 , searched in vain for the parasitic drain , pulled every fuse on the car in turn .. nothing!
Alternator was heating up when the car was stopped , sure sign of diode failure.
Replaced the alternator
Das boot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Das boot For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 13:54   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
Before you walk away - if it is a 3 year warranty on the battery and it has lasted less than that they will replace the battery, you should not have to contribute to the replacement.

I had a similar problem with an Exide battery in December 2017 originally bought from Eurocarparts (4 year warranty) - they replaced with no quibble but you'll only get the warranty on the remaining period from the original date of purchase.............still saves some money even if you only end up with a couple of months warranty.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 17:32   #8
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das boot View Post
Check the alternator output and check the alternator diode pack isn’t backfeeding through the alternator . I had this problem on my T5 , searched in vain for the parasitic drain , pulled every fuse on the car in turn .. nothing!
Alternator was heating up when the car was stopped , sure sign of diode failure.
Replaced the alternator
Cheers! What equipment do I need to test this?

Old Mar 12th, 2018, 19:56   #9
Das boot
Premier Member

You can use a multi meter , there are lots of internet videos showing how.

Mine was easier to diagnose , I charged the battery and fitted it to the car , don’t start it ... if the alternator feels warm about twenty minutes later it’s goosed.

The alternator looked a bit white and scabby , the heat generated while it’s flattening the battery does this .
I changed my battery twice before I sussed what was really wrong lol .
The standard alternator check just tells you the alternator is charging Ie the voltage rises when you start the car with the headlights and screen heaters on .
The diodes are like a one way valve they stop the battery from draining back through the alternator coils when you stop.
Ps gubbed diodes allow high voltage ac into the electronics so you can get all sorts of weird symptoms too.
Das boot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Das boot For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 22:42   #10
StatusRed
Premier Member

Right I've just ordered a NOCO GB40, the amperage is a bit overkill but I want something heavy duty that should work on whatever cars I might own in the future, hopefully I'll never be stuck again now.

I'm going to try feeling if the alternator is warm to try and work out if there is a problem there.

Tags
battery