Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel wobble - any thoughts?

Views : 1062

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2017, 12:59   #1
V7T

Default Wheel wobble - any thoughts?

For a little while now I've had some wobble from the front wheel(s). It was very accute when towing under higher power up hill - lead me to believe it was more like axle tramp.

Anyway, I noticed the front control arm bushes were very soft, so I replaced both control arms, inc. bushes and lower ball joints. Things were much improved, but still not right.

About this time, I investigated getting my alloys refurbed. Was advised that one or more had a buckle on the face and could not be recovered. Instead, I've now fitted new alloys with new tyres. Did both front wheel bearings at the same time. I was expecting this to fix things, but there is still some wobble. It is at higher speed, e.g. 60+ on motorway, worse when on power, but still there a bit on overrun.

Could there be an issue with the dampers, the upper strut mounts or something else? There's not too much left!

By the way, the car is 2007 Mk3 V70 D5 auto with 120k.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

David.
V7T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 22:08   #2
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

I'm getting flashbacks!!!

I had a wheel wobble after replacing my tires earlier this year.

1) I put the new tires on used rim that I had not tested before and found that I had a pretty severe wobbling about 50kph. I asked the tire shop to rebalance the tires...wobble persisted. I called my friend who works at the parts counter at the local dealership and he set me up with some hub-centric rings due to the small difference in hub size. This definitely helped but did not cure the problem altogether.

I cursed myself for purchasing the used rims and replaced the rims with some new aftermarkets AND the hub rings. Problem persisted.

I brought the vehicle back to the tire shop (a very good shop I might add) and they told me not to worry and that they would take care of me. they re-indexed the tires on the wheels and rebalanced. Problem gone.

Moral of my story: there's more to tire balancing than you think! I might be tempted to get my hands on 2 front wheels that are known good. See if replacing those does the trick.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides

Last edited by pierremcalpine; Sep 26th, 2017 at 22:11.
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 22:40   #3
Semnoz

Mine had a slight wobble around 70mph (it was like this when purchased 2nd hand).

I had new tyres fitted, wheels balanced and 4-wheel alignment, but the wobble was still there.

So I changed the front brake rotors and pads, and that solved it
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 12:51   #4
V7T

Thanks for the reply guys.

I guess I could have a badly fitted tyre(s).

Also, brake rotors/discs are a good point. They are not that old though. Think I will try with the dial gauge and check for any run-out. This costs nothing and is quick to do (as opposed to other things to investigate).
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 18:03   #5
Lancee
Premier Member

Exchange front wheels with the rear and see if the problem moves or persists ?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 18:10   #6
Model flyer
Master Member

If the wobble is worse when under power and tyres wheels etc prove ok it could be worn drive shafts . Brake discs usually only cause a wobble when braking .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 18:22   #7
V7T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Exchange front wheels with the rear and see if the problem moves or persists ?
I swapped one side front to back at the weekend and today was first real test, but no improvement. Will try the other tonight.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 18:24   #8
V7T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
If the wobble is worse when under power and tyres wheels etc prove ok it could be worn drive shafts . Brake discs usually only cause a wobble when braking .
I've not checked the drive shafts. Will take a look at this. I'm assuming it can only be the CV joints that can be an issue, plus the intermediate bearing on the driver's side.
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 15:50   #9
V7T

A quick update, as I know it's annoying when people don't report back as to how they got on.

Well, I diagnosed a very worn inner CV joint on the driver's side. Holding the gearbox end of the driveshaft stationary, there was significant movement of the brake disc. So needed replacing.

Volvo quoted £472 for the part alone. No thanks.

None of the motor factors, inc. ECP stock these, perhaps due to low volume of these cars on the road or not enough old enough to fail.

Anyway, driveshaft, complete with inetermediate shaft has now gone off to be renewed/re-manufactured. Should be back in a couple of days. So will let you know how it goes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V7T For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 23:31   #10
ferg55

Similar issue here, did the new shaft cure it?

Last edited by ferg55; Apr 17th, 2019 at 23:34.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote