Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Head lights s40slux

Views : 680

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2014, 23:38   #1
dredman34

Default Head lights s40slux

My headlights are staying on all the time on dipped and side lights I have to take the fuse out to turn them off and I have no main beam any ideas 52 plate
dredman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 06:34   #2
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Exclamation

S40 SECTION NEEDED CAN A ADMIN MOVE THIS PLEASE

you will have better luck in there im sure

kind regards

robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 11:06   #3
Jason989

Do you mean they're staying on all the time when the ignition/engine is on? The car has day running lights so will always have its dipped beam on with the switch in the off position, unless you disable this.

Pulling the headlight stalk when the day running lights are on will only flash the main beam. You need to turn the switch to the dipped beam position. That way, when you pull the head light stalk, the main beam will stay on.
2000 V40 1.8 XS
1988 240 GLT saloon
Jason989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 12:40   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Just to clarify things a bit, his problem is a bit different. He bought a CEM from me as he was having issues with his old one. Before he got mine, he re-wired the offending headlight with the working one to get both of them working. When he fitted my CEM it worked fine for a day, but the next day, the headlights would stay on, even if the ignition was off and the key was out. While we were on the phone last night, he lost all light on both headlights and they eventually came on again.

Personally I suspect that the wiring for the headlights is sorting somewhere and that is why he is getting these odd results. Having rewired the bad headlight with the good headlight would overload both the relay and the wiring to the headlights. My bet would be to check the loom under the radiator as it is know to cause problems on our car. If not that, then the second weak spot is the part of the loom that goes under the driver's wing.

There is a great guide here of how to get to the loom under the radiator: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144411

Any other suggestions people before dredman34 goes digging in the loom under the radiator?

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 12:44   #5
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
....Before he got mine, he re-wired the offending headlight with the working one to get both of them working. When he fitted my CEM it worked fine for a day, but the next day, the headlights would stay on,....
I think what's happened here if I read you right, is that he's "spiked" the relay by running both lamps through it & the contacts have "welded" themselves when they arced out.

It may be possible to fix this by giving the CEM a slap, or much better than this, opening the CEM & firmly tapping the stuck relay with the handle of a screwdriver to hopefully unstick the contacts.

Worth a try maybe? And rewire the headlights correctly before re-testing! (I've seen this on PIR floodlights before, my security light sticks sometimes & needs a tap to free it off again. Also same thing with the relay for an air horn, firm tap = peace at last!)

Last edited by ma70; Nov 21st, 2014 at 12:48.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote