Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 transfer towbar old car to new.My saga continues.

Views : 616

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 11:43   #1
Dragon45

Default XC60 transfer towbar old car to new.My saga continues.

Hi. I have just replaced my 16 plate XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav with a 67 plate XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav. I had a mobile engineer to remove towbar and electrics (genuine Volvo). I had a minor problem with locating the two connectors (on new car) which plug into the module. Which was resolved by the advice of kind people on this forum. I phoned local Volvo dealer to arrange coding of TRM module and was informed that the TRM module software should have been deactivated prior to its and the electrics removal off the old car and then reactivated once on new car. I am now stuck with having to purchase a new TRM module as I am led to believe that my existing module which was apparently paired to the old car cannot be reprogrammed to work on my new car unless it has gone through the above procedure. Others trying to save a few pounds should be aware of this. Has anyone else had the same experience? It may not be restricted to the XC60 model.
Dragon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 12:15   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Suggest you contact another dealer- 10 min phone call might just clarify. FYI it's not my understand of how it works but I haven't personally done it.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 13:21   #3
Dragon45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Suggest you contact another dealer- 10 min phone call might just clarify. FYI it's not my understand of how it works but I haven't personally done it.
Hi Thanks for the advice. I will. Please PM me if there is something further you can advise me on. Cheers
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 13:41   #4
volvo for ever
Premier Member

there is software to remove sw from car my understanding is

the sw is to remove sw from car im not so sure you can reuse trm but i may be wrong

worst case is new trm and sw

regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 09:02   #5
Stevepvolvo

Yes I discovered this module registration to a car when I added the iPhone module to my xc60 2009. I had the software run by the dealer I bought the kit from to activate it but every time I switched the car on after 30 seconds the audio system would no longer recognise the iPhone module. Long and short, after taking back to the dealer and 2 hours of various options being tried they had to clear the whole car from the Volvo database and allow the database to reregister the whole car and it accepted the iPhone module! I was told it prevents theft of components as each component is registered to a specific vehicle. So yes I can believe that the module should have been deregistered from the first vehicle before swapping.
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 09:30   #6
Stevepvolvo

re my previous post, just realised the following additional info may be relevant as you have already tried to register the TRM with the new car. I first purchased the iPhone module off ebay from a car dealer in sweden. According to seller it was brand new still in box etc. My local dealer registered the module but it wasn't until I got home that the 30 second problem was apparent. It started up fine but then after 30 secs no longer appeared in the audio list. I returned the unit to the seller on ebay as I assumed faulty and was refunded. I then purchased the kit from Volvopartshop.com and had the same 30 second issue. As the car software had been updated previously for the new functionality Volvopartshop thought that there should not be a problem. The great thing I found about Volvopartshop is that they don't leave you in the lurch. I took the car over to them and they spent 2 hours sorting the problem out. They believed the previous module had been used and so my car had rejected it. Simply putting in a new unregistered unit still did not clear the previous failed attempted registration and hence they finally tried the complete delete and reload of all the cars modules. They didn't even charge me for the work as they said that is part of their online service as they didn't want to leave customers in the "lurch" if things didn't go right. So excellent service from Volvopartshop and highly recommended. But the take away here is that you may hit the same problem when attempting to add the new TRM as your cars database may be corrupted from the previous failed registration of the used TRM. Hopefully if you get this problem they can do a complete re-registration of modules to bring the new TRM in.
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 16:28   #7
Dragon45

Finally resolved my saga. Car went into Cardiff Volvo. They reprogrammed the car to communicate with TRM module. Cost me £25 for software £33 labour £58 total. Very pleased as another local dealer told me I would need a new TRM module and quoted £191 for a new TRM module, software and labour.
Thanks to Tannaton.