Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 1991 blows fuse for shift lock and daytime running light

Views : 349

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2018, 22:11   #1
2V8s

Default 960 1991 blows fuse for shift lock and daytime running light

Hi all,

a while ago I started noticing the headlights when switched off (but running automatically on dimmed dip beam all the time) were flickering. eventually they stopped although the headlights still work OK on normal and high beam when switched on plus the side lights are still on all the time.

I was fine with this however the consequence is the shiftlock on the auto gearbox doesn't work so I have to reach through the gaitor and pull up the manual shiftlock to pull it to disengage to take it out of park.

seems the fuse is the same one for both functions and if I replace it it blows straight away.

I need to get the shiftlock working again because I'm using the car later this month to park at Gatwick where they will park and retirieve the car and I don't want to risk the busting things trying to force the transmition selector as they wont know about the hidden manual shift lock disengagement.

So, to my question, and sorry for the long explaination: - does anyone know the wiring diagram for the fuse and subcircuits for the shiftlock and dimmed headlights, and where is the so called dimmed dipped regulator? can I disconnect that as I think maybe that is faulty? or is there a relay or something?

alternatively can I permanently disengage the shift lock?

thanks

Aaron

ps car is a 1991 J plate 960 24v estate (had in the family since new) and still going strong other than crippling fuel economy!
2V8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 22:27   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Would i be right in assuming you have to put the car in Park before you can remove the ignition key? Also that the opposite applies, you have to have the ignition key in and turned before you can (normally) take the car out of Park?

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...Y94_Wiring.pdf

If you look at Pg71 of that pdf, you'll see the diagram for the P-shift lock. It appears (without cross-referencing the different diagrams) there are interlock switches so removing it may cause the car to not start - i may be wrong on this though.

However you should be able to do some fault finding. If you can disconnect the actual P-shift lock solenoid then try renewing the fuse, try starting the car and see if your dim-dip now works without blowing the fuse. If so the fault is in the solenoid and that is the most likely cause of a dead-short.
Also check the wiring to the solenoid, it may have chafed on the gear selector linkage causing a short to earth.

You could try removing the solenoid and see if the car still runs and that the key can be removed etc if it proves to be the solenoid. That would solve your Gatwick problem. Alternatively get a lift/taxi to and from if you're going on holiday or away on business. It would almost certainly be cheaper than a fortnights parking anyway!

PS - as for the economy - gas it! Convert it to LPG in other words!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote