Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lowering...

Views : 2794

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 19:05   #21
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
You had to shorten teh spacers IIRC as you already had the fixed spacers in place. The spacers are now shorter to work with the fixed spacer type and if you have teh removable spacer that should not stay in place along with teh spacer provided. Should have done it that way to start with.

The springs we are fairly sure you must have had 50mm front rather than the 70's. However we were finding on some cars the front springs were not always lowering as much as they should so some slight changes have been made.
What will you be doing to replace the wrongly made springs you supplied then now you have found a problem ?
Did you carry out any development before selling them in the first place or is it just a case of flogging people anything and hoping you can get away with it ?
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 19:09   #22
indigo

Sorry about hijacking the thread. I've got a standard 940 Celebration, The shocks are springs are all original and kinda tired. I'm OK with the comfortable set up it has but would not mind it a little firmer.
What do you guys recommend if I wanted to bring it to the "sport" spec (15mm lower) with a nivomat delete?
indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 21:46   #23
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
What will you be doing to replace the wrongly made springs you supplied then now you have found a problem ?
Did you carry out any development before selling them in the first place or is it just a case of flogging people anything and hoping you can get away with it ?

Well Steve, first step with designing springs is first to study the original springs. Then a fair bif of calculation is needed to work out motion ratios and desired spring rates. Corner weights need to be measured (bear in mind this can vary with options, fuel and allowance for loading) and you can then work out from there the dimensions for the springs.
Next step is test fitting and road testing and revisions if needed.
As products get more and more use things can come to light resulting in a revision being deemed beneficial and that is what has happened here.

As to how those with issues have been resolved. In most cases the springs have worked as intended. A few have not and the solution has not been the same in every case
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 05:40   #24
Casheye

Quote:
You had to shorten teh spacers IIRC as you already had the fixed spacers in place. The spacers are now shorter to work with the fixed spacer type and if you have teh removable spacer that should not stay in place along with teh spacer provided. Should have done it that way to start with.

The springs we are fairly sure you must have had 50mm front rather than the 70's. However we were finding on some cars the front springs were not always lowering as much as they should so some slight changes have been made.

Yeah that was one of the issues, the other being that the shocks would not seat inside the retaining nut on the top because there was no 'neck' to the top of the shocks. So you basically had to eyeball the shock to a central position as you were tightening the nut down. Like I said, once it was all tightened, it wasn't going anywhere. But I'd expect the manufacturing process for the nut and or the shock to be modified to overcome this problem.

My only gripe with the actual functionality of the set-up is that the rear springs could be stiffer. The springs didn't feel that much different than the original nivomat springs.
Casheye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 13:45   #25
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Quote:
Well Steve, first step with designing springs is first to study the original springs. Then a fair bif of calculation is needed to work out motion ratios and desired spring rates. Corner weights need to be measured (bear in mind this can vary with options, fuel and allowance for loading) and you can then work out from there the dimensions for the springs.
Next step is test fitting and road testing and revisions if needed.
As products get more and more use things can come to light resulting in a revision being deemed beneficial and that is what has happened here.

As to how those with issues have been resolved. In most cases the springs have worked as intended. A few have not and the solution has not been the same in every case
Sorry you must have forgotten I have seen previous examples of how you have done things, I will have to dig out the LPG tank installation photo again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LPG Tank Installation.JPG (111.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Steve940estate; Mar 7th, 2018 at 14:08.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 22:32   #26
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBOLT View Post
Glad I held off buying the -70mm springs now , I currently have -40mm Kilen springs & B8 dampers. Rear has dropped fine but the front never did, not a fan of chopping springs so it will definitely be coilovers now.
Go for the BC BR series kit...you will never look back.
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 07:12   #27
T5Sweep
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
Probably nothing, he's very good at that.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 19:56   #28
LukeDC

Hi guys - I'm a new 940 owner having recently purchased a 2.0 S. I know its not a turbo or even mildly sporty, and I'm torn between keeping it standard going with the classic look, and lowering it a bit to make it look a bit cooler.

Anyway, I'm on a budget (to keep the wife happy) and was wondering what your opinions are on the Kilen -40/-25 springs, and if you have any pictures of them fitted?

Also, do you NEED to replace the dampers too when fitting these?
LukeDC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LukeDC For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2019, 21:42   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDC View Post
Hi guys - I'm a new 940 owner having recently purchased a 2.0 S. I know its not a turbo or even mildly sporty, and I'm torn between keeping it standard going with the classic look, and lowering it a bit to make it look a bit cooler.

Anyway, I'm on a budget (to keep the wife happy) and was wondering what your opinions are on the Kilen -40/-25 springs, and if you have any pictures of them fitted?

Also, do you NEED to replace the dampers too when fitting these?
Kilen is a subsidiary of Lesjofors, one of the OE suppliers to Volvo so they should be good springs.
I do happen to know of some coil-overs not far from you that might be for sale, not sure if the owner of them has disposed of them or retained them but it's the starter of this thread here :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285447

To answer your question about renewing the shocks when changing the springs, it's definitely advisable, yes. Look on fleabay for normal shocks that will fit 740 and 940 Volvos, should be able to pick them up relatively cheaply. I changed the springs and shocks on all 4 corners of my 760 for about £125 a couple of years back, the shocks were KYB as well, springs if memory serves were Suplex, again a subsidiary of a well known company!

Good luck with it and errr....... oh yeah, welcome aboard!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 08:04   #30
LukeDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Kilen is a subsidiary of Lesjofors, one of the OE suppliers to Volvo so they should be good springs.
I do happen to know of some coil-overs not far from you that might be for sale, not sure if the owner of them has disposed of them or retained them but it's the starter of this thread here :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285447

To answer your question about renewing the shocks when changing the springs, it's definitely advisable, yes. Look on fleabay for normal shocks that will fit 740 and 940 Volvos, should be able to pick them up relatively cheaply. I changed the springs and shocks on all 4 corners of my 760 for about £125 a couple of years back, the shocks were KYB as well, springs if memory serves were Suplex, again a subsidiary of a well known company!

Good luck with it and errr....... oh yeah, welcome aboard!
Thank you for the advice. Is the recommendation to replace the shocks based on the thinking that the current ones are potentially 25 years old and not performing at their best?
LukeDC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LukeDC For This Useful Post: