Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T6 Brake fluid warning light

Views : 2994

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2017, 10:35   #11
freddystall
freddystall

Talking Volvo v70 D5 brake fluid level low warning lights

I have a 2009 V70 D5 ex ambulance which is police spec. My low brake fluid level light came on intermittently at first then a few days later stayed on indicating a code of 066 when checked at my local garage (not Volvo). My front wheels also have brake pad wear wires that have been taped up. I also recently had new front tires fitted and noticed these wires. After the light came on i checked these and found that one of the connectors was rubbing on the wheel. I removed the connection, on the other side I noticed that the two sensor wires had been twisted together so I left them as they were as they have been like this for a long time. I will remove the connector to see if this puts the light out. The first time the light came on I was driving in Derbyshire on some hilly steep roads so initially I thought the light was genuine, when checked the fluid tank was full. The steep roads may have caused the sensor float to move more which has alerted the warning lights. Luckily my MOT isn't till July so hopefully will find the problem before then
freddystall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freddystall For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 13:31   #12
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The manual does not mention a 'low brake fluid level' light. However there is one for 'fault in brake system' which is described as:

Fault in brake system
If this symbol illuminates, the brake fluid level
may be too low. Stop the car in a safe place
and check the level in the brake fluid reservoir,
see page 188.
If the brake and ABS symbols illuminate at
the same time, there may be a fault in the
brake force distribution system.
1. Stop the car in a safe place and turn off
the engine.
2. Restart the engine.
• If both symbols extinguish, continue driving.
• If the symbols remain illuminated, check
the level in the brake fluid reservoir. See
page 188. If the brake fluid level is normal
but the symbols are still illuminated, the
car can be driven, with great care, to an
authorised Volvo workshop to have the
brake system checked.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 21:18   #13
freddystall
freddystall

Default police spec brake fluid warning light

I have a police spec V70 D5 2009, I had a problem with the brake fluid low. i have now cured the problem by disabling the brake pad wear sensor wire by cutting out the link and rewiring the brown wire to the purple wire on the plud to the brake reservoir. The brake pad loom forms a loop including the brake fluid reservoir so has to form a closed circuit. A break in the circuit will cause the warning lights. Unless you are going to renew the pads with wired pads then there is no need for this loop which if not terminated correctly will eventually cause the issues we've experienced
freddystall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 22:51   #14
Waynev70

Smile Thanks saved me a load of grief

Thanks Jerry, I had the dreaded light come on my ex police t6 and it failed the MOT as I wasn’t aware this was a failure, my local garage told me it was the reservoir or the sensor and they’d replace them both, I had a quick google and found your post, when I first changed the pads I opted for the cheaper non sensor pads and a garage soldered the wires together for me so no Warsi light would be displayed, as if never seen the light I would have never have known it would say low brake fluid, after reading this I asked a mechanic to quickly check these wires and sure enough one had come apart, a quick 5 min (cheap) fix and the car passed its mot, thanks for saving me a lot of cash and grief.
Waynev70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 10:54   #15
Tatsfield
Premier Member

This linking of brake fault warnings to non existant brake fuild low levels is not unique to Volvo. I had a Peugeot which had a notorious fault in that when the flimsy handbrake on/off warning micro switch's contacts began to deteriorate and not make a clean contact and break, the low brake fluid warning appeared intermittantly. Apparently this drove other owners mad but once you knew the reason for the problem the solution was a fiddly £2.50 micro switch replacement. You'd think that with something as vital as braking, car manufacturers would fuilly develop the warning systems but apparently they all seem to have a blind spot in this area!

Last edited by Tatsfield; Jan 18th, 2018 at 10:58.
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tatsfield For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 19:09   #16
ToolMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryhayling View Post
Thanks for the help, its good to share information, saves loads of time & money.
Hi Jerry. I just wanted to thank you for your much previous post on this ex police Volvo brake fluid error. I too mistakenly bought a new fluid tank thinking the level switch was faulty, only to find the fault persisted.

I tried scanning faults to no avail and started thinking it may be a brake control module issue. I google searched the precise details of the fault and landed on your thread.

I took both front wheels off only to find that on one side the twin redundant wires that had been cut short and crimped together, one had scuffed over time and become open circuit. Plod didn’t do a very good job of decommissioning this V70 T6.

Cleaned it all up and tucked them away properly connected and and encased in silicon. Job done.

Can’t thank you enough for the heads up on this.

One other thing I found on this car, it doesn’t have regular T6 disc brakes. When I bought new replacements, the motor factor said the bigger size is, as used on the 3.2 version.

Thanks again :-)
ToolMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 07:57   #17
mcdommo

Default Brakes

Don’t suppose you know exactly where to look for these wires I have same issue reservoir filled up but can’t get rid of message just purchased ex police car
mcdommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 18:50   #18
Jam Sandwich
2012 V70 D5 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Here's the link, 56MB Zip file download:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...kFJTUpscG50U3M
Can I get access to that folder, please?
Jam Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote