Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC60 setup questions

Views : 832

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 11:31   #1
Gunge

Default New XC60 setup questions

Hi,

Picked up a XC60 T8 R-design Pro a few days ago and have spent some time playing with all of the settings. Sensus seems to be unnecessarily complex. Like some recent discussion on here Carplay is also a disappointment and doesn't add a great deal. Otherwise the car is fantastic and I am really pleased with my purchase.

There are some points which are confusing me and I would be grateful for any input.

Firstly, speed warnings. When I test drove a car in London it showed speed signs on the dash. I have ticked the road sign warning option in sensus but I am not seeing anything while driving. Is there something else that I need to do?

Secondly, I put in a 3g sim and received a notice there were updates available, these appeared to be European maps. Thinking it would be better to download with house Wifi or tethered to my phone rather than burn through the data, I switched off the car sim. I get no signal in the car on the house wireless - is this normal with it being a metal cage or is it worth playing with positioning of the car and AP to improve? Also, with the phone tether (wifi or BT) the upgrade option is greyed out. Now, even with the data sim switched on again, the option to download the maps appears greyed out. How do I get the download option back and is there a better way to download than through the 3g sim?

Thanks.
Gunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 12:02   #2
Bernard F

Congratulations on your new car and enjoy it. To read a road sign or speed sign your car has to pass a physical road sign which is seen by the dash camera. If you are only concerned with UK or Western Europe map updates and car Apps your sim will last the year without any problem, assuming you purchased a 12 Gb SIM card. House WiFi, my XC60 has no problem both in my garage and at the end of a my drive. Over complicated Sensus, it just take a while to familiarise yourself I am certain.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 12:04   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
Hi,

Picked up a XC60 T8 R-design Pro a few days ago and have spent some time playing with all of the settings. Sensus seems to be unnecessarily complex. Like some recent discussion on here Carplay is also a disappointment and doesn't add a great deal. Otherwise the car is fantastic and I am really pleased with my purchase.

There are some points which are confusing me and I would be grateful for any input.

Firstly, speed warnings. When I test drove a car in London it showed speed signs on the dash. I have ticked the road sign warning option in sensus but I am not seeing anything while driving. Is there something else that I need to do?

Secondly, I put in a 3g sim and received a notice there were updates available, these appeared to be European maps. Thinking it would be better to download with house Wifi or tethered to my phone rather than burn through the data, I switched off the car sim. I get no signal in the car on the house wireless - is this normal with it being a metal cage or is it worth playing with positioning of the car and AP to improve? Also, with the phone tether (wifi or BT) the upgrade option is greyed out. Now, even with the data sim switched on again, the option to download the maps appears greyed out. How do I get the download option back and is there a better way to download than through the 3g sim?

Thanks.
Road sign information should show a small road sign on the dash display with the road speed limit of the road you are on (when driving past a sign it will change to the current limit) or other signs like children crossing sign etc, if you have ticked the audible warning it will chime if you exceed the limit, you can set when this warning comes in, on limit, 1 mile over limit, 3 miles over limit etc.
The best way to update maps is via your computer or laptop with a USB memory stick, then stick it in the car USB slot and it updates automatically for you.
Some home internet providers require a modem security setting change so you can pick up the wifi in your car. I am on Virgin media and this requires setting changed, I am not sure how to do it.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 12:04   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

Iirc, there are separate tick boxes for speed and road signs to be displayed on the driver's panel. The setting for speed warning (i.e. going above the sped limit) is separate from those.

The easiest way to update the maps (especially the European one at ~45GB) is to download them onto a USB stick on your PC then insert the stick into the car's USB port. You'll need a USB stick of at least 64GB capacity for this. The update will then be performed automatically and takes about 45 mins in the car. The actual download, depending upon your broadband speed, can take hours which is why doing it directly to the car (even when it works) can be tedious. I have a 40Mbps download speed on fibre and it takes ~3 hours for the European map. There is a smaller (combined) map available for the UK, ROI and Iceland which is only ~2GB.

You can download maps from here: https://support.volvocars.com/uk/dow...91100850d3e1c3
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 12:18   #5
Bernard F

Update on my previous post. The Western Europe map is quite small (250Mb I think), and well within the annual capacity of a 12Gb sim. Updating whilst driving is automatic, easy and it stop starts if not completed during short journeys. You can continue to use the SatNav if necessary. If you really require all of Europe then another method is necessary.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 12:48   #6
lalith16

Quote:
I get no signal in the car on the house wireless - is this normal with it being a metal cage or is it worth playing with positioning of the car and AP to improve?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Some home internet providers require a modem security setting change so you can pick up the wifi in your car. I am on Virgin media and this requires setting changed, I am not sure how to do it.
The best way to check this is, if your phone is picking up the home wifi signal then the car should as well from the same location as your phone. After having excluded that home wifi range isn’t an issue and your car is still not picking up the wifi signal then one of the most common scenario could be that your home wifi router has been setup to ‘do not broadcast SSID’, which means the wifi router wouldn’t publicly broadcast your home network name (SSID) and this in return means that devices that haven’t previously been connected to your home wifi network won’t be able to see your home wifi SSID in the ‘available networks’ list; hence new devices won’t be able to connect. This setting is basically there to stop unauthorised people making attempts to hack into people’s wifi network. If that is the case then you need to change the setting in your wifi router’s settings so that your router can broadcast the SSID. Once you do that, and considering your car is within your home wifi range, your car should see your home wifi network’s SSID in the ‘available networks’ list. Now you should be able to connect your car to your home wifi network. Once you do that, you can go back into your router’s settings and change the ‘SSID broadcast’ setting back to stop your router broadcast the SSID as before. Since the car has already been connected to the wifi network once, it will continue to detect the wifi network everytime the car is within the range and will continue to connect to the wifi network automatically.

Let me know how you get on and if you still do not find any joy then I will run you through least likely scenarios.

Last edited by lalith16; Mar 18th, 2018 at 12:55.
lalith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lalith16 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 12:56   #7
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi,

Picked up a XC60 T8 R-design Pro a few days ago and have spent some time playing with all of the settings. Sensus seems to be unnecessarily complex.
I don't find Sensus overly complex, but there is a lot to configure.
It may take a while before you know it all, but you don't have to learn much to be able to drive the car.
You don't to know or use everything and you can learn features one by one.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 14:58   #8
Gunge

Thanks all.

Worked out the sign problem - I was activating the speed warning and the associated threshold but had the sign feature turned off on the RHS screen. Now sorted.

I’ll investigate the map suggestions later.
Gunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 00:54   #9
J30 YAP

Any chance of some pictures perhaps?