Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear caliper handbrake

Views : 726

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2018, 19:04   #1
jbyev50

Default Rear caliper handbrake

My 04 V50 Failed it’s mot today on slack handbrake and no handbrake grip at all on the rear offside. Had a quick look and can instantly see the handbrake lever on top of the caliper is hard up against Its stop (therefore cannot be tightened), to me this points to the mechanism inside the caliper is broken/worn. Has anyone come across this before? Is it common? The caliper still brakes as it should, no performance is lost during braking. Many thanks
jbyev50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 10:13   #2
iainmd

Not seen the mechanism fail but I have had issues with the cables corroding inside their sheath meaning they didn't apply or release correctly. It's quite a common issue.

If the mechanism really is done for then a new caliper might be in order.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 12:52   #3
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
On mine the cable had been tightened too much, probably to try and improve the handbrake. However as it was too tight it stopped the auto adjusters working. The auto adjusters need the lever on the calliper to return to the stop in order to work. I slackened the cable, auto adjuster started working, I then retightened the cable correctly. The cable has to be slack enough for the hand brake lever on the calliper to return to and touch the stop. If the cable is too tight the lever won't return to the stop, in the off position and the auto adjuster won't work.

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Mar 17th, 2018 at 12:54.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 10:34   #4
jbyev50

I found that out yesterday, went to change to caliper so slackened off the adjuster to remove the cable and found the lever on the caliper had moved round to its normal position and then proceeded to work correctly, thanks for clarifying I’m not just thinking this was a fluke
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 10:51   #5
x DTR x
Premier Member

Am i right in thinking the adjuster is the nut by the handbrake lever itself as seem to be having the same problem? I keep tightening it up and its ok for while, then the lever after a while starts to pull up very high again!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 11:49   #6
jbyev50

Yes that’s the one, you’ll need to jack the rear completely to set the correct adjustment, I’ve found the handbrake lever doesn’t tend to feel tighter the more you tighten it
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 15:27   #7
x DTR x
Premier Member

Ok so should i slacken it right off, jack up the car and re tighten it?

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 16:22   #8
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Slacken off adjuster,
Check spring levers are touching on the stops on rear callipers.
Tighten cable until the rear levers are still "just"touching the stops when the hand brake is off.
So when handbrake is off the cable is "just"slack and the levers on the callipers are still touching the stops

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 11:36   #9
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Mondeo's are famous for this. Usually the calliper seizes and doesn't release when you let the cable off, so the pad wears and gradually the lever comes "on fully" and doesn't release. you can work with it with WD40 and free the calliper too.
With the handbrake off put grips on the lever on the calliper and work it back and forth. Plenty of WD40 too. Then check the piston and slides are free.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote