Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P3 Parking Light Bulb Removal

Views : 3606

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 11:41   #1
Steamdrivenandy

Location: on the edge of North Staffs, south of Crewe, looking out over Cheshire in awe and wonder
Default P3 Parking Light Bulb Removal

Yesterday I removed the nearside headlight again to have another go at replacing the dud parking light bulb.

I failed miserably again, with the bulb still refusing to shift. I even tried to grip the holder with long nose pliers, as suggested, but in such a tiny space, with little light to see by it still proved impossible. People have said that removing the headlight bulb helps but I can't see how as it's not in the way and even without it I can't get my hand in the cavity. It's annoying that the handbook says 'pull the wires' and implies that the holder slides out easily. I'm sure if I pulled the wires any harder they'd part company.

Any suggestions how to proceed are welcome.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 06:11   #2
BL08
VOC Member

Default There's a catch

The bulb holder is held in the housing by a small clip - just part of the plastic so not easy to spot. You have to ease this away with the blade of a screwdriver or similar whilst pulling on the wires. Once out, the bulb is a push fit in the holder
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 08:49   #3
Model flyer
Master Member

Just a word of caution. Before easing the plastic catch back allow the headlamp to warm up in doors . The plastic can be brittle in cold weather and can easily snap. Ask me how I know ?
The same applies to the positioning bulbs in the outer orange light. Its worth looking at LED replacements but do get "error free" led bulbs or the warning message keeps coming on.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2015, 12:35   #4
kenny
Master Member

just had to change one of mine, i was surprised how hard i needed to pull the wires but it did pop out fine.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 19:10   #5
deanosabby

Thanks for all your tips folks. I managed to get it out only to find the spares I had were goosed as well. I used the one from the marker light and it work so belayed my fears of a broken wire.
I replaced the outer marker ones with LED units from Halfords which are error free so will buy another 2 tomorrow and do the side lights as well. I also replaced the headlights with Bosch 120% brighter bulbs so will have a look tonight when it's dark to see how much better they are.
Many thanks again folks.
Ta,
Deano.
deanosabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 16:49   #6
AndrewTi

Quick tip, after finding out the hard way, pull the main beam bulbs out first, then pull the wires to the sidelight holder gently. It will come out.

I know, having spent three evenings ruining kitchen skewers, buying extra long nosed pliers and generally swearing like a Docker.
AndrewTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 12:30   #7
chadders1033

just done this after the LED's I put in basically disintegrated.
Top tips
1 get the garage to do it (kidding)
2 get some light on the subject it's dark in there!!
3 get someone to help pressing the locking tab. I used my daughter and a long very thin wood chisel to reach it a long thin screwdriver would also do.
4 when the tab is pressed releasing the bulb holder, gently pull the wires using long nose pliers giving them a wiggle at the same time.

My daughter is now available to hire at a reasonable cost plus travel expenses

the main beam bulb on mine wasn't in the way.
chadders1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 16:13   #8
vapour

Default XC90 bulb change.

This video might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKUgrK0yssE
I was going to remove the headlamp unit(s) to polish them in my shed but could NOT remove the side light or the position light, armed with this new information I will try again tomorrow.
vapour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 17:06   #9
Tatsfield
Premier Member

While reading this thread, I came across this quote:
Quote:
I also replaced the headlights with Bosch 120% brighter bulbs
and remembered when I used this bulb and it failed in a remarkably short time, just getting dimmer and dimmer until it hardly generated enough light to shine through the seriously blackened glass envelope. I contacted Bosch about what I felt was a faulty set and they drew my attention to the fine print on the packaging which admitted that to achieve very bright light the filament would fail early and they confirmed this when I spoke to them. The blackening of the glass envelope is due to the deposition of metallic vapour from the over bright filament which dims the bulb and left running the filament would burn away completely. There is no way you get something for nothing and the extra brightness of these Bosch bulbs is obtained by using an electrically more resistant filament which glows brighter but burns away sooner. I abandoned the use of ultra bright bulbs and switched to HID gas discharge bulbs as I had projector headlights suitable for their use.
Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 22:57   #10
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
There is no way you get something for nothing and the extra brightness of these Bosch bulbs is obtained by using an electrically more resistant filament which glows brighter but burns away sooner.
Less resistant.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote