Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160117

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 00:23   #541
Arianne
Premier Member

Here's something interesting & different amongst the 'sea of almost endless positive and identical' video reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsOsMHLVclM

I don't necessarily agree with him completely but he does make some valid and thought provoking comments throughout the video.

What caught my attention occurs just after 6:00 mins into the video where he references the VEA 4cyl Volvo engines now across the XC90 range as well as the 60 series. It chimes with my own feeling and the comments made by some others on this thread about XC90 D5 performance vs. LR Discovery in a drag race out of the French autoroute toll booths, fully laden. In the XC60 the VEA D4, turtle permitting, is a peppy engine and very fuel efficient but the soundtrack isn't like the old D5 engine nor as refined.

One week before our test drive and I promise faithfully to provide an honest and comprehensive write up. You can see from my posting this YouTube link that I am still trying my best to be balanced and not fall under the spell of the F-Pace! It's not easy although that price tag helps keep me objective when I think about it!

Best wishes to all. It's been a busy week and there hasn't been anything much for me to say about this topic for the last few days - which is why I eased off! But I found this video review and thought you might find it interesting, perhaps even a little provocative?

Have a nice weekend.

Arianne
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 08:50   #542
Gilesme

If you fancy something slightly dearer, saw my first Bentayga the other day. Metallic blue left hand drive - perhaps someone from Crewe was on a day out !
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilesme For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 08:56   #543
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilesme View Post
If you fancy something slightly dearer, saw my first Bentayga the other day. Metallic blue left hand drive - perhaps someone from Crewe was on a day out !
Seriously? The Bentayga makes the Porsche Macan look like a contender for a beauty pageant!

Arianne
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 09:40   #544
Parky12

This thread has been really useful for a number of us from the looks of things. I am sure it will run on while we wait for Arianne to test drive the F-Pace and possibly take delivery. If so we can all read about the real world experience of the F-Pace.

This thread has helped us view our XC60's and contrast them to other contenders in the marketplace. I for one have not been able to find a comparable vehicle of similar size and specification at the price point Volvo are offering it for

Long may this run
XC60 15MY 181 SE AWD Savile Grey (previous)
Parky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 10:25   #545
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky12 View Post
...........This thread has helped us view our XC60's and contrast them to other contenders in the marketplace. I for one have not been able to find a comparable vehicle of similar size and specification at the price point Volvo are offering it for

Long may this run
Hi Parky12, I think this is undoubtedly true. The only slight issue for any of us renewing our cars in the next few years is the fact that the incredible deal most of us secured on our 2013 - 16 XC60s will take some beating. I didn't realise just how amazing the offer was on my current 2014 XC60 until I started shopping around.

I suspect this might continue to be the case for the remaining life span of the current XC60, as it runs off. But whether such offers will be available from Volvo on the replacement model is uncertain, probably not in the early days anyway.

The option of sticking with the XC60 is not unattractive, especially with a warranty extension as some have mentioned on this thread already. It makes financial sense although, for me, is not so appealing to the heart

But depending upon what we think of the F-Pace next Saturday, who knows? That £1k deposit is refundable and I have the order paperwork to prove it! So it's not a done deal yet.....

Arianne.

PS. As an aside, are any of you handy replacing bath mixer taps? I need to do so and have just ordered a replacement online. Next weekend I will need to do the job (always delivers hero status with Mrs A when I do these type of jobs!). But the back nuts (plastic) are pretty tight and it's a confined space. I have a sneaky feeling that those pesky builders probably installed the original tap onto the bath deck before securing the bath into its final position. Great for them (I would do that too) but hopeless when needing to access it for later maintenance and replacement. If needed I can remove the bath but it just means resealing the edges with mastic. I can of course visit YouTube but just wondered how far the 'community's' talent on this Volvo forum stretches?

You have 7 days.....
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 10:46   #546
Crockers
Premier Member

A big tip when changing taps.......

TURN OFF THE STOP C0CK
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 10:48   #547
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Regarding the bath you need to buy a tap spanner which will make the task much easier. I find that the type like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/adjustable...R9CBoC5zHw_wcB are much easier that the traditional solid ones sold as basin and tap spanners.

The other aspect that has caught me in the past is that you get high and low pressure taps - if your house is older, using gravity fed water from a tank in the roof then you need the low pressure type, the high pressure type will only give you a dribble.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 10:50   #548
uniqueue

PS. As an aside, are any of you handy replacing bath mixer taps? I need to do so and have just ordered a replacement online. Next weekend I will need to do the job (always delivers hero status with Mrs A when I do these type of jobs!). But the back nuts (plastic) are pretty tight and it's a confined space. I have a sneaky feeling that those pesky builders probably installed the original tap onto the bath deck before securing the bath into its final position. Great for them (I would do that too) but hopeless when needing to access it for later maintenance and replacement. If needed I can remove the bath but it just means resealing the edges with mastic. I can of course visit YouTube but just wondered how far the 'community's' talent on this Volvo forum stretches?

A decent Basin wrench - with an adjustable head - is an essential start. three arms and a spare hand helps :-) and enough space to wriggle into a position to reach and turn the wrench is useful..... depends on the layout of your bathroom and how agile you are :-)
uniqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uniqueue For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 11:07   #549
Arianne
Premier Member

It's a high pressure (mains) system but not a combi - it uses a wonderful pressurised hot water tank in the airing cupboard so that both the hot and cold feed are perfectly balanced and pressure / flow is superb. Showers are so great that I find hotels underwhelming on that front!

I am agile but don't have three hands and there's very little space to crawl underneath.

TBH, I am not looking forward to the installation itself, never do where taps are concerned as they almost always present the same challenge. But a combination of patience, brain and the right tools usually works and I have previously installed a whole bathroom suite so this one shouldn't be too onerous. I'm off to check that link you guys provided to Screwfix.

But any further suggestions are welcome. And yes, I will be turning the stopcock off and draining the tank first Crockers

Arianne
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 11:50   #550
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Regarding the bath you need to buy a tap spanner which will make the task much easier. I find that the type like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/adjustable...R9CBoC5zHw_wcB are much easier that the traditional solid ones sold as basin and tap spanners.
A million thanks - just bought one, 'Rothenberger 70225 32mm Telescopic Basin Wrench'. Went for the slightly more expensive telescopic model with top notch jaws that hopefully won't slip.

That's one I owe you!

Best wishes, Arianne.

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan