Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cam Belt, Aux. Belts, Service intervals. I'm confused.

Views : 2179

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 10:28   #11
dped

Default Ian

I was told that it is not so much the aux belt snapping but the tensioner seizing which leads to the belt snapping that is the biggest problem. Haynes in there day were fantastic but now they can't seem to keep up with the constant model changes and computerisation of the modern cars. From 08 - now the D5 as been tweaked and modified several times even though it's basically the same engine that as built a reputation for reliability. Must say this forum is great for getting the information you need or you could ask the dealer for a service schedule which they should give you if they think that you will be taking the car to them for the work.
dped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 10:44   #12
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waderider View Post
... I'm sure umpteen different engines were fitted to the V70.
Something like that. The user's manual for the V70/XC70 2012 lists eleven different engines.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 19:53   #13
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Checked with dealer today.

I was at main dealer today to collect a part for my 940 and enquired about the "other" belt on the XC70. Parts dept. state that the smaller lightweight belt driven by the AC compressor is listed as "AC servo pump drive belt" and actually showed me one. It was about 1.0 cm wide with two longitudinal grooves and about 50 cms total length. I also managed to speak to the service manager who delved into our car's history to advise that the auxiliary belt was replaced at 62,799 miles at the request of the then owner at the same time as the hydraulic tensioner was replaced by the later type. The other lightweight aux. belt is not listed to replace in any service but is usually replaced at the same time as the main aux. belt. He agrees that the aux. belt and cam belt should be replaced at 108,000 miles.
Our car is covered by a service plan which was entered into when the car was bought in Feb. 2017 so has just had it's first service under that plan. The plan covers five services. We believed that as the five services included the one which required the belts to be changed then that would be done at the relevant time. I queried whether the belts would have been done at the service earlier this month as part of the plan as the car would probably exceed the 108,000 miles before next year's service.
He understood our concerns but informed me that as the service plan was a new one entered into when we bought the car in 2017 it did not recognise the fact that the car was already 6 years old and had already done 88,000 miles.This meant that over the 5 years of servicing within the plan the cam belt would never be renewed and possibly not even the aux. belts. I expressed my concerns about this as, if I had not persisted with my enquiries, we would have simply believed that the belts had been changed at the relevant time with the consequence that they would have eventually failed and probably wrecked the engine. Who then would be responsible for this and pay for the replacement engine. He advised that he had expressed concerns about this in the past but nothing had yet been changed. We eventually decided that the belts and possibly the tensioners will be renewed at the earliest opportunity as a "one off" service outwith the service plan at a discounted price to recognise our customer loyalty and VOC membership.

Last edited by Ian21401; Feb 23rd, 2018 at 19:55.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 14:06   #14
green van man
Premier Member

It is concerning when even dealers seem to not understand Volvo's service schedules is it not.

Mine told me I could leave the aux belt change as I had not done the milage. Hand book says 54k or 5 years, whichever is sooner. Yes the car only has 45k on it but it was 5 years old.
I changed the aux and power steering belt along with the tensioner for peace of mind.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 19:10   #15
Ian21401
Premier Member

Agreed Paul. Any Service Plan started upon the purchase of a previously owned car should start from the car's age and mileage so that important renewals are included within the Plan's schedule. I do a reasonable mileage in my old 940. I changed the cam belt and aux. belts immediately after purchase as I did not know the car's service history and there were 102,198 recorded miles. I've changed them again each 5 year period even though I hadn't quite done the 50,000 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 20:57   #16
CJL
Master Member

My 2012 V70 D had the aux belt and tensioner changed at 3 years but only 30K miles while it was under a service plan.

It's just had it's 6th service (or 108K), but only at 60K miles at a main dealer. I had asked for aux belt and tensioner to be changed, but when I collected it, they'd only changed the aux belt NOT the tensioner. The mechanic said it already had the latest tensioner and they are now reliable. He also said the air con belt was under no tension and he's never had one break.

Since I only do 10K a year, I'd planned to change the aux and tensioner every 3 years/30K and cambelt at 9 years/90K.

Why do simple things have to be this difficult?
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJL For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 16:36   #17
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Apologies Graham and Update.

Apologies Graham, you are correct. Our engine does NOT conform to Haynes image.
The belts were changed by the main dealer yesterday at 101,521 recorded miles and the car is now 7 years old.
The invoice does not list any tensioner. I was informed that what Volvo term "Tooth Belt Kit" ( part no. VO31359568 ),£128.50 ex VAT, includes the tensioner. The invoice also listed two belts ( VO31325042 and VO31330870 ), each priced at £32.40 ex VAT, but does identify which is which and there is no mention of any other tensioner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 21:26   #18
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

If it already had the up to date tensioner fitted then they probably wouldn’t change it but bear in mind it is this item that fails. I’m sure it will be fine for now as they will have checked it but just bear it in mind when you next have it serviced. It’s not a big job to change it. I am puzzled why they didn’t tho because both auxiliary belts come in a kit with the tensioner and a new bolt. Why wouldn’t the dealer want to sell you that??

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 21:45   #19
dped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Apologies Graham, you are correct. Our engine does NOT conform to Haynes image.
The belts were changed by the main dealer yesterday at 101,521 recorded miles and the car is now 7 years old.
The invoice does not list any tensioner. I was informed that what Volvo term "Tooth Belt Kit" ( part no. VO31359568 ),£128.50 ex VAT, includes the tensioner. The invoice also listed two belts ( VO31325042 and VO31330870 ), each priced at £32.40 ex VAT, but does identify which is which and there is no mention of any other tensioner.
Just checked my Invoice from the independent garage that did mine with genuine Volvo parts. The belt kit does include a tensioner for the Cam Belt. But if you also had the two Aux belt done which can break and get wrapped around the cam belt causing damage and costs £32.40 each as you say. One of those belts also as a tensioner costing £69 which they should have changed. As I understand it the Aux belt tensioner was on a recall and should have been replaced at some point but should be replaced when the Aux belt is done.
dped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 16:43   #20
green van man
Premier Member

Given the historical horror stories of the tensioner failing I would not change the belt without changing the tensioner, no matter which version was fitted.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: