Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 740GL Estate For Sale

Views : 927

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2018, 18:56   #1
Triple-S
How Old?

Default Volvo 740GL Estate For Sale

My step-son has asked me to sell his 740GL estate now he has embarked on a lease-car arrangement. I drove it back today and apart from possibly needing a service (feels like a plug missing sometimes) it was very nice (for this Volvo 144 driver!). He had the car for nearly 9 years and recently came back from a French holiday in it.
A light blue 1986 car with blue cloth seats and trim, it has MoT until July and about 134k miles on the clock. Amazingly for these cars, all the instruments work, but like most the headlining is crumbling (but not falling down). It has the 2.3 engine, a carb and the preferable 5-speed manual gearbox.
Good parts:- no panels are damaged and there are not even any bumper-corner scuffs. It has 2 new front tyres and the others are fine. From my 740 ownership days mine would have incurred big-money ABS unit replacement - but this is the nicer-looking pre-facelift model without ABS. Nearly new battery too.
Bad points: a small bit of rust on the leading edge of the bonnet, ditto low-down on the nsf wing and some corrosion (its alloy) on the tailgate above the numberplate area. Other bits I noticed include a crack on the dash-top upper face, the central rear seat has what looks like a white paint stain on it (kids huh!), the tailgate struts are weak (a safety-prop is included!) and the catch has a fault which I haven't looked at. It is also grubby under the bonnet (but that keeps the rust at bay!) and one catch may be sticky - again not checked. Oh and a rearlight bulb seems to have blown!
There are some previous MoTs, plus a bill for some underside welding (hole in floor), otherwise not much more.
I have taken a few photos of it this afternoon but can't paste on here: if interested PM me your email address and I'll send you a set.
Value - we reckon it must be worth £450. I will be using the car when transport needed, so currently available for inspection in Surrey.
Mail me with your thoughts.

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 11:38   #2
mylittletony
Master Member

I have a pair of boot struts which can be included to save my throwing them in the bin
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 10:55   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

After very little use of this 740 I decided to do a service, but upon changing the plugs somehow created a huge water loss around the No 4 spark plug. Its as if I tightened the plug up too much (but I know I didn't). I added a bottle of that expensive Steel Seal but it made no difference
therefore
assuming the head is damaged, although it drives fine I now offer the car as spares or repair, as I have nowhere to swap heads (even if I had one). My son told me a banger-racer offered him £200 for it some months ago but would be far happier if a Volvo enthusiast could get it back into use again.
The car is taxed, MoT tested and fully fit for the road, its only fault otherwise is the usual crumbling of the head lining. It is currently in Redhill, Surrey, and if one is prepared to refill with water every couple of miles (!) is a pleasure to drive. We will be sad to see it go but we now have too many other family things going on to consider working on this car.
Apologies to those that have shown interest so far, but if I had a car-carrying trailer and wanted a 740 to get back on the road, this would be it. Is there any interest or does it have to be another one lost?

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 22:24   #4
swiftyb1

Default Radio CR-702

Hi

Do you have CR 702 radio?

Brian
07714 281436
swiftyb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 13:38   #5
volvo760estate

hi, this still available? i assume the test has expired now

cheers ben
volvo760estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 13:42   #6
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo760estate View Post
hi, this still available? i assume the test has expired now

cheers ben
I'm certain Paul sold the car a while back.

J.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote