Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lowering...

Views : 2798

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 17:11   #11
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Is yours just a turbo estate or a sport model?
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 17:14   #12
CLH92

Yeah... just a 2.3 turbo estate (celebration)
CLH92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 17:55   #13
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Sport models are 15mm ish lower than a standard turbo so you should get the full 40mm drop. The Kileen ones don’t sag. Why would they? Mine certainly haven’t after 18months with occasional heavy loads.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 18:05   #14
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH92 View Post
Yeah... just a 2.3 turbo estate (celebration)
Full 40mm in that case but you do need to allow for how much the original springs have sagged from new.

I do also have 50 and 70mm lowering springs
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 09:09   #15
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Full 40mm in that case but you do need to allow for how much the original springs have sagged from new.

I do also have 50 and 70mm lowering springs
If you want to improve the look a bit but make it handle a lot better but still keep a “stock” look go for 40mm I reckon. If you want the proper lowered look I’d go for ClassicSwedes 70mm drop. Should still be ok over most speed bumps as the ground clearance is pretty high on these things but it’ll look amazing. I wish I’d gone for 70mm but my wife drives the car a lot and might not be as thoughtful about the bumps as I would be.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 09:53   #16
Casheye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
If you want to improve the look a bit but make it handle a lot better but still keep a “stock” look go for 40mm I reckon. If you want the proper lowered look I’d go for ClassicSwedes 70mm drop. Should still be ok over most speed bumps as the ground clearance is pretty high on these things but it’ll look amazing. I wish I’d gone for 70mm but my wife drives the car a lot and might not be as thoughtful about the bumps as I would be.
I went for the 70mm springs and shorter shock from Dai but as I've said before, the rears dropped well but the front only went down a short amount. The fit of the shocks and how they seated in the towers were pretty dodgy too. I'm guessing I got a 40 or 50mm spring by mistake but it was about 18 months ago now. Chopped a coil and it's now a proper sled.
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 14:21   #17
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
I went for the 70mm springs and shorter shock from Dai but as I've said before, the rears dropped well but the front only went down a short amount. The fit of the shocks and how they seated in the towers were pretty dodgy too. I'm guessing I got a 40 or 50mm spring by mistake but it was about 18 months ago now. Chopped a coil and it's now a proper sled.
So are you saying that the parts you got from Classicswed aren't safe to use as supplied ?
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 15:09   #18
Casheye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
So are you saying that the parts you got from Classicswed aren't safe to use as supplied ?
Well if you define safe as;

"not likely to cause or lead to harm or injury; not involving danger or risk."

then I'd say all the components I bought were safe to use. The issues I had were that the assembly for the front suspension (inserting the shocks into the strut towers with the components provided) was a bit hit and miss. I'll go into it in more detail on my build thread when it gets a bit warmer.

Once everything was tight and installed I had no worries driving on them, but things just didn't go together as you'd assume they would considering it all came as a single package.

EDIT:

That makes it sound like I had trouble understanding how it all went together, which wasn't the case. It was do to with the manufacturing of the components and how they all fitted together inside the tower.
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 15:48   #19
FIREBOLT
Master Member

Quote:
Glad I held off buying the -70mm springs now , I currently have -40mm Kilen springs & B8 dampers. Rear has dropped fine but the front never did, not a fan of chopping springs so it will definitely be coilovers now.
FIREBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 18:00   #20
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Well if you define safe as;

"not likely to cause or lead to harm or injury; not involving danger or risk."

then I'd say all the components I bought were safe to use. The issues I had were that the assembly for the front suspension (inserting the shocks into the strut towers with the components provided) was a bit hit and miss. I'll go into it in more detail on my build thread when it gets a bit warmer.

Once everything was tight and installed I had no worries driving on them, but things just didn't go together as you'd assume they would considering it all came as a single package.

EDIT:

That makes it sound like I had trouble understanding how it all went together, which wasn't the case. It was do to with the manufacturing of the components and how they all fitted together inside the tower.

You had to shorten teh spacers IIRC as you already had the fixed spacers in place. The spacers are now shorter to work with the fixed spacer type and if you have teh removable spacer that should not stay in place along with teh spacer provided. Should have done it that way to start with.

The springs we are fairly sure you must have had 50mm front rather than the 70's. However we were finding on some cars the front springs were not always lowering as much as they should so some slight changes have been made.