Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

185 Diesel pump on 163 engine

Views : 2954

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2018, 13:10   #1
Clankys60

Default 185 Diesel pump on 163 engine

Hi Guys

My current setup is;

03 S60 D5 with recon 185 injectors, Hybrid Turbo, DO88 intercooler, 2.75" downpipe and exhaust.

On the flat it runs great but if it's under load especially 4th / 5th or going up a hill, I get 'Engine service Urgent'.

The error codes relate to fuel rail pressure too high or too low.

I've replaced the fuel filter with a genuine unit and tested the in-tank pump (which is set to run constantly). I get a decent flow at the High Pressure pump.

I'm wondering if the standard 163 high pressure pump can't cope with the demand of the 185 injectors? Or maybe a dodgy regulator?

Has anyone swapped the 163 pump with a 185 pump (0445 010 111)? I know there different sensors etc but would the black part of the pump swap over?

Thanks
Clankys60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 14:05   #2
Dancake
Premier Member

The 185 injectors have more holes in the injector nozzles, meaning they would be delivering more fuel than is supposed to be metered under all conditions. Under load this could cause a drop in rail pressure, causing the fault that you are experiencing. I'm surmising that the 185 pump can deliver more fuel to the rail to cope with this, or the rail pressure parameters have been adjusted to suit the increased fuel flow found in the 185 engine.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 14:52   #3
Clankys60

That was my thinking. I'll get a 185 pump and let you know how I got on...
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 20:17   #4
davebb
Premier Member

Hi can you please tell me more about the turbo, what has been done to it,
as I am going to do mine one day,
so when you fitted the turbo and injectors, and remapped the ecu what was the data logs reading for fuel pressure, under load ?
what size MAP Sensor are you using, and what boost are you running ?
Thanks Dave

Last edited by davebb; Aug 5th, 2018 at 20:29.
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 21:39   #5
Clankys60

The turbo is a mix of the original exhaust housing and the rest is from a BMW 530d. I had to have the exhaust housing machined to accept the larger turbine. I'll get some more technical details when I've got a min.

So far the boost spikes at 2 bar before the ecu backs it off to 1.5 to 1.7. It drives more like a petrol engine than a diesel, it pulls all the way to the red line.

The only issue with a larger turbo is the lag. I get only 0.5 - .75 bar between 1000 and 2250 rpm. Then it goes nuts.

A remap is in order when I get the issue sorted out.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 22:16   #6
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clankys60 View Post
The turbo is a mix of the original exhaust housing and the rest is from a BMW 530d. I had to have the exhaust housing machined to accept the larger turbine. I'll get some more technical details when I've got a min.

So far the boost spikes at 2 bar before the ecu backs it off to 1.5 to 1.7. It drives more like a petrol engine than a diesel, it pulls all the way to the red line.

The only issue with a larger turbo is the lag. I get only 0.5 - .75 bar between 1000 and 2250 rpm. Then it goes nuts.

A remap is in order when I get the issue sorted out.
Hi thanks for the info, if you could give me more specs that will be good,
also if you have not had it remapped that may be why you are getting a high boost spike, make shore that you have no air leaks in the pipe work from the maf/air box to the turbo as that will give a boost spike, as the rubber cold air pipe that fits to the turbo does split,
have you had anything done to the ecu before as max boost will be set to about 17psi, and also my 2002 D5 had a 2.5bar map sensor fitted from the factory, so the ecu could only see 1.5bar of boost, but I have now changed that to a 4bar sensor to stop any spikes,
do you have a cat in the down pipe, if not that maybe another thing that can give a boost spike, the TCV mapping may need fine tuning to stop this,
please let me know what map sensor you have fitted ?
Thanks Dave
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 22:28   #7
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I know that you have good flow from the in-tank pump, but have you checked the pressure of the pump with a gauge,
Dave
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 16:05   #8
Clankys60

Here's a pic of the turbo I'm using showing the part number. I'd taken it off because the turbo / manifold gasket was blowing and needed replacing.

I put an airline to the diesel return pipe and it appears to have solved the problem.

I bought a used 185 pump and split the alloy / cast steel body, replaced the seals and it works fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/f42ttqcv8...013-iaJ0UUC3La
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 17:48   #9
davebb
Premier Member

Hi thanks for the pic of the turbo,
have you done any ecu mapping to run the 185 injectors?
why did you wire the pump to run all of the time , did it need this mod
Thanks Dave

Last edited by davebb; Sep 1st, 2018 at 17:53.
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 22:12   #10
Clankys60

So far, everything's bolt on, apart from having the turbo manifold machined.

The injectors provide the extra juice and the turbo gives extra oxygen at the higher rpm.

But it does need a custom remap on a dyno. There's too much smoke at low rpm and the boost cuts out too early.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clankys60 For This Useful Post: