Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Torslanda Stripes

Views : 615

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2019, 21:52   #1
kev240
Master Member

Default Torslanda Stripes

I have recently bought a May 1993 Volvo 240 Torslanda, the previous owner has told me that it was delivered without any of the Torslanda stripes or badging, would this have been possible with a special order etc from the factory ?
It does have the roof rails and the Torslanda wheels but has a more 'plush' fabric interior than the Torslanda along with factory fitted electric windows and a Volvo glass sunroof , the original aerial has unfortunately been replaced with a silly looking rubber thing.
It is also registered as a Torslanda but I was wondering about the stripes !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 325-torslanda-3.jpg (232.7 KB, 40 views)
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 23:02   #2
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev240 View Post
I have recently bought a May 1993 Volvo 240 Torslanda, the previous owner has told me that it was delivered without any of the Torslanda stripes or badging, would this have been possible with a special order etc from the factory ?
It does have the roof rails and the Torslanda wheels but has a more 'plush' fabric interior than the Torslanda along with factory fitted electric windows and a Volvo glass sunroof , the original aerial has unfortunately been replaced with a silly looking rubber thing.
It is also registered as a Torslanda but I was wondering about the stripes !
Looks good Kev!
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 22:01   #3

As far I remember the Torslanda was a special edition and had no factory options other than the normal Manual/Auto/Colour. Factory options were limited in those days as cars were built and then sold unlike today where every car has a order and customer. The factory never fitted a sunroof in a 240 estate and only fitted a steel one to the saloon. Volvo UK did supply a glass one for dealer fit but never factory. I would not of though the strips were left off from the factory as they were part of the Torslands spec.
140 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 140 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 19:08   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

I owned a white 1992 Torslanda many years ago. The stripes and badging were vinyl stick-ons, and so I guess could be quite easily removed. The wheels were specific to the model. Also, there was no external chrome - everything was black.

Interior-wise, the seat fabric was a very basic but very serviceable nylon, the backs of the front seats were vinyl-covered. The headrests were covered in a soft-feel plastic, and were the "open" type with no fabric pad or covering.

The car had manual windows and mirrors, the somewhat gutless 2 litre engine and a manual five-speed gearbox.

I did enjoy the car - the original owner had been a retired vicar, and when I bought the car it was in immaculate order and with a very low mileage.

For me the things it really lacked were electric windows, and after having owned B230-engined cars before this, the engine wasn't powerful enough.

The slightly odd thing about the O/P's car is the colour. Not 100% sure and I may be wrong, but I thought that Torslandas were only available in solid red, white or blue?

Jack

Nope, just double-checked - Torslandas were offered in silver too!

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; May 27th, 2019 at 19:13.
capt jack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 19:22   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post

Nope, just double-checked - Torslandas were offered in silver too!

Jack

And I've seen a dark grey.

Were Torslandas the only 240 option available in 1993?

I notice the OP's car doesn't say Torslanda on the tailgate.

I don't think the wheels were exclusive to Torslandas - I've got a Volvo leaflet about the wheels, and it just says they were an option - no reference to Torslandas.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2019, 23:53   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Were Torslandas the only 240 option available in 1993?
My Torslanda was a K-reg registered in August 92. I also had a J-reg 240SE estate, which would have been a late 91 or early 92 - I have a feeling it was registered in July 92. This had the 2.3 litre engine and an automatic gearbox. The upholstery was a very rich dark blue plush velour, and the car had electric windows all round, heated electric mirrors, and velour headrest pads.

It had been fitted with after-market roof rails, and I remember having terrible trouble in stopping water leaking into the car through the rather inadequate bolt holes that had been drilled through the roof panel. The car hadn't been as well looked-after as the Torslanda, but it drove a whole site better with the bigger engine and auto box. I can't remember now if it was a 3 or 4 speed box, but it defintiely had an overdrive switch on the side of the gear selector.

If I could have had the engine, gearbox and interior of the SE and the clean body work of the Torslanda I reckon I'd have had the perfect 240!

Happy days though, and I must admit, if I could find a 240 at the right price I'd have one tomorrow! I still kick myself for not buying a beautiful white 240 which was for sale at just £500 perhaps 12 or 15 years ago. It was a very unusual car in that it was originally Swiss-registered but RHD. I remember it had beige leather and possibly air-con I think. An object lesson in regretting the things we don't do!

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; May 29th, 2019 at 00:03.
capt jack is online now   Reply With Quote