Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do you use your air con?

Views : 10185

Replies : 108

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Do use air con...
Mostly always on all year. 171 73.39%
Only when it's really hot. 47 20.17%
No it does not work and not bothered about it. 8 3.43%
Uses to much fuel, open the window. 2 0.86%
It works but still never use it even if really hot. 5 2.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 21st, 2018, 16:19   #21
phil1968
Master Member

In the C70 it's on all the time, just set the temperature & forget, everything else is taken care of. It gets turned off automatically when the roof's down. In the van I'll have it on apart from around town when I generally like to have the windows down. But yeah, even in Winter, it keeps the windows mist free.
I've travelled in the inlaws car & my MIL, sat in the front passenger seat, kept turning the A/C on & off, which after a while started to grate. I told her that all she need do is select "auto" & then everything is taken care of, all she then needs to set in future is the temperature. I still don't think it's sunk in.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 18:03   #22
volvo always
Premier Member

My 1996 940 I had to change the condenser and used compressor and had AC for last summer.

The garage only put in 500g of gas and it takes 950g this lasted 5 months as now does not work as had slight weep from condenser clamp. Clamp damaged slightly and NLA from Volvo.

Going to retry the O rings and have it re- gassed again as like AC. I use it all the time in hot weather and it turns on automatically when you select demist.

I have just bought a Lexus IS 220D and it's going well so far. The ECC was only blowing cool and thankfully a re-gas has it nice and cold. I set the temp to 17 degrees both sides/dual and leave on auto. Best £45 spent to have a cool car! Especially Thursday as outside temp in sun saying 28 degrees!

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 18:27   #23
green van man
Premier Member

I have mine regased every 3/4 years at dealers. The gas carries a lubricant and like all oils it needs changing occasionally. For what it costs I consider it preventative maintenance and certainly cheaper than repairing a broken system.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 19:38   #24
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I have mine regased every 3/4 years at dealers. The gas carries a lubricant and like all oils it needs changing occasionally. For what it costs I consider it preventative maintenance and certainly cheaper than repairing a broken system.

Paul.
Not entirely true, the oil, if needed, is added separately, not with the gas, also the only time the oil gets changed is if the compressor gets replaced. There is oil spread around the entire system but the majority is in the compressor.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 19:41   #25
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Put the old beetles on today. First time in several years. Ice cold!!
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 08:37   #26
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
Not entirely true, the oil, if needed, is added separately, not with the gas, also the only time the oil gets changed is if the compressor gets replaced. There is oil spread around the entire system but the majority is in the compressor.
Many thanks. I was going on what I had been told.
Seems car is connected to a machine that empties the system weighs the contents and adds new as needed. Seems the lubricant/oil keeps seals suple.
I know AC worked better after it was done last time and for what it cost am happy to have it done on a regular basis. Like anything used constantly you do not notice the gradual drop in performance.
A workmate buys the diy kits from halfords, guesses ambient temp and calculates psi needed from a table on the can and uses the gauge on the can adaptor to measure the pressure in the system. He swears it works as his AC is freezing. I prefer the more considered approach.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 08:51   #27
chrisfr

I live in south west france which has the second hottest climate to the cote d'azur.
We can also get -10 in winter so the aircon is usually off then. Yesterday it was 36 degrees. It is usually on from march till November. But reading some of the posts maybe i should leave it on all year. I have a heated windscreen and tend to use that not the aircon to clear the frost.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 09:18   #28
Phillg1986

I tend to have the roof down.. although i put the aircon on still the other day to just keep it all moving etc
Phillg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 12:16   #29
Phillg1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
In the C70 it's on all the time, just set the temperature & forget, everything else is taken care of. It gets turned off automatically when the roof's down. In the van I'll have it on apart from around town when I generally like to have the windows down. But yeah, even in Winter, it keeps the windows mist free.
I've travelled in the inlaws car & my MIL, sat in the front passenger seat, kept turning the A/C on & off, which after a while started to grate. I told her that all she need do is select "auto" & then everything is taken care of, all she then needs to set in future is the temperature. I still don't think it's sunk in.
Disnt realise it turns off with roof down?? Mine still blows cold :/
Phillg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 14:21   #30
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Mine was on with roof down yesterday. I have roof down most days it's dry X
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote