Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Supermarket fuel

Views : 4163

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2019, 22:59   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default Supermarket fuel

Hi all,

I've heard all sorts of stories about Supermarket fuel saying its not the same as what Shell use etc.

I have a 2007 S80 2.4 D. There's a local supermarket that's just opened a new fuel station & its 5p a litre cheaper than Texaco as of earlier this week.

So, are these supermarket fuel stories just a bluff, or should one actually take note and only go to the main stations like Texaco & Shell as an example?

Comments are appreciated.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 23:19   #2
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

I run my s60 d5 on sainsburys diesel, one because its 10p a litre cheaper than the esso up the road from me and two i get nectar points, runs ok and on a steady motorway cruise it will do nearly 60mpg, some branded fuels may have more fancy stuff im em but if it runs ok then supermarket fuel is ok, at the end of the day its your wallet that you open to pay for the fuel and ever rising fuel prices dictate my/your needs fuel wise.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darlo 1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2019, 23:54   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sainsburys is the only supermarket that has an agreement with a refiner (BP) so what you're buying is actually BP fuel from them.

Tesco buy the cheapest available on any given day when they buy, not sure about the others, i've heard Asda also buy from BP but no Nectar points so no affiliation can be inferred.

On another forum i'm on where the cars all use much the same engine, we did a test on supermarket fuels Vs branded.
At the time, the majority of the cars tested ran best on Shell V-Power Nitro (but Shell have since changed the formula and those cars now run better on BP Ultimate/Sainsburys Super Unleaded) with BP/Sainsburys Super a close second.
Tesco came out the worst for both performance and economy.

Similar results have also been shown when i've had a diseasel vehicle and others have confirmed that Sainsburys/BP diesel gives them much better performance and economy than others.
Before i moved here, my neighbour had an XC70 D5T that struggled to 30mpg on Tesco diesel but would easily do 40+mpg on BP diesel from the place about half a mile away. Granted the BP was a couple of pence per litre more but as a percentage, about 3-4% dearer. With a 33% improvement in economy, it's a no-brainer to run on BP instead.

Bottom line is the "pump price" isn't always the best indicator as to whether it's the cheapest, find fuel that gives you the best economy at the best price and stick with it - likelihood is it will also give you the best performance too. Avoid fuel that is too cheap, if it's too good to be true, it almost certainly is!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 00:10   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Hi all,

I've heard all sorts of stories about Supermarket fuel saying**snip.
yes you will, and the more you look/listen the more stories you will get
"ah but,,, " by the skip full

Fuel has to have an octane rating, That does not change regardless of "ah but..." comments or who sells it.

what Does change is what "X brand" adds or doesn't add to the fuel.
its Clever marketing, up to you if you fall for it Blindly.

IF you find that "X brand / type fuel" gives YOU better mpg or performance use it.

"what is the best fuel" = there isnt a global answer,,, But theres LOADS Of "ah but...." tw*ts out there who have swallowed "marketing BS" and spout that as The one and only truth.

there ARE a few out there who have done this thing called "THINK FOR THEMSELVES" and Tried different brands/types to see what they really get in their own car given how they drive.

Your wallet , your car Your choice,
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 00:12   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Sainsburys is the only supermarket that has an agreement with a refiner (BP) so what you're buying is actually BP fuel from them.

Tesco buy the cheapest available on any given day when they buy, not sure about the others, i've heard Asda also buy from BP but no Nectar points so no affiliation can be inferred.

On another forum i'm on where the cars all use much the same engine, we did a test on supermarket fuels Vs branded.
At the time, the majority of the cars tested ran best on Shell V-Power Nitro (but Shell have since changed the formula and those cars now run better on BP Ultimate/Sainsburys Super Unleaded) with BP/Sainsburys Super a close second.
Tesco came out the worst for both performance and economy.

Similar results have also been shown when i've had a diseasel vehicle and others have confirmed that Sainsburys/BP diesel gives them much better performance and economy than others.
Before i moved here, my neighbour had an XC70 D5T that struggled to 30mpg on Tesco diesel but would easily do 40+mpg on BP diesel from the place about half a mile away. Granted the BP was a couple of pence per litre more but as a percentage, about 3-4% dearer. With a 33% improvement in economy, it's a no-brainer to run on BP instead.

Bottom line is the "pump price" isn't always the best indicator as to whether it's the cheapest, find fuel that gives you the best economy at the best price and stick with it - likelihood is it will also give you the best performance too. Avoid fuel that is too cheap, if it's too good to be true, it almost certainly is!
facts , not "ah but..marketing says" , proven facts by someone (his next door) who used it ,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 01:25   #6
mopedmick

Default Fuel

But if someone filled your tank without your knowledge would you tell the difference? Too much hot air on this subject & the placebo effect going on.........
mopedmick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mopedmick For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 07:58   #7
green van man
Premier Member

I have used both in the D5, not noticed any difference in short term performance and tend to stick with branded fuel these days. The super diesel has no noticable effect either, certainly not the BP stuff.

Shell diesel and I noticed a difference in the works van buto little difference in the car .

They all have to meet a Base standard it's the additives that can make a difference.

Twice a year I run Lucas fuel treatment through a tankfull of fuel to ensure the injectors are kept clean and the landrover I run mineral 2T oil added at 5ml per 5 litres. This makes the old 300 tdi run smoother but it's a car I have never seen more than 35mpg from and is designed to run on any old crap but gets branded as it's closer, it would cost a gallon of diesel to get to the supermarket to fill it.

End of the day it has to be your choise.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 08:25   #8
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

An interesting thread. I run the Exxon Valdez on supermarket (usually Sainsbury's) unleaded as fuel consumption on what is my second car isn't crucial; occasionally it'll get a half-a-tank fill up of super unleaded. I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in consumption between supermarket and oil company fuel.
The daily driver is a different matter - I tried running it on Sainsbury's diesel once and watched the consumption climb by some 20% so reverted to BP diesel, which is what Fomoco recommend.
I will, however, be trying Sainsbury's diesel again as BP are leaving the Nectar fold at the end of this month.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 08:34   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopedmick View Post
But if someone filled your tank without your knowledge would you tell the difference? Too much hot air on this subject & the placebo effect going on.........
Funnily enough i did feel the difference. A friend borrowed my caar once about 15 years ago and it came back gutless and thirsty. Asked what fuel he'd put in and he said BP - 3 weeks later one of his kids let slip in front of him it was Tescos and he then had to admit it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 24th, 2019, 08:43   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
r - I tried running it on Sainsbury's diesel once and watched the consumption climb by some 20% so reverted to BP diesel, which is what Fomoco recommend.
I will, however, be trying Sainsbury's diesel again as BP are leaving the Nectar fold at the end of this month.
I've heard similar a few times recently, consumption usually drops by more after a week or two so you end up with better economy. Almost as if it's cleaning out the old fuel and then does its stuff to improve things.
However it's the first time i've heard that when switching from BP - usually it's when switching from other supermarket brands.

Interesting about BP leaving Nectar, if memory serves way back in the mists of time they were the first to use Nectar, before Sainsburys even who had their own reward points card and then joined Nectar. Have you got any links to information about it please?