Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Flywheel to replace dual mass

Views : 984

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2019, 20:32   #1
ie940

Default Flywheel to replace dual mass

Wanted, a fly wheel to replace a standard dual mass to suit a 1996 B230FK
ie940 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 22:19   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

you looking for a used dual mass or upgrading to single mass like this? https://www.classicswede.co.uk/B230_..._15039049.aspx
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 22:42   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie940 View Post
Wanted, a fly wheel to replace a standard dual mass to suit a 1996 B230FK
A DMF, whilst costly and a bit of a pain will usually last a very very long time and is fitted for a reason.

I would not condsider fitting a single mass flywheel.

Should you 'bog down' the engine in the car by mistake a solid flywheel could cause damage to the train.

Pay the few extra quid and get a proper DMF. Treat it well and you will likely see 100K out of it!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 00:23   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
A DMF, whilst costly and a bit of a pain will usually last a very very long time and is fitted for a reason.

I would not condsider fitting a single mass flywheel.

Should you 'bog down' the engine in the car by mistake a solid flywheel could cause damage to the train.

Pay the few extra quid and get a proper DMF. Treat it well and you will likely see 100K out of it!
These cars had solid flywheels fitted as standard it is only the later ones that had dual mass flywheels fitted. "Bogging down" in a car will cause no drivetrain damage as it is a problem with the engine and it won't rev, not revving isn't going to damage anything.

I have seen people fitting solid flywheel to VW PD diesel engines and these never had them as standard and they have no issues other than it sounding horribley clattery as the DMF is designed to absorb vibrations to quieten things down and make for smoother running.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:41   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
These cars had solid flywheels fitted as standard it is only the later ones that had dual mass flywheels fitted. "Bogging down" in a car will cause no drivetrain damage as it is a problem with the engine and it won't rev, not revving isn't going to damage anything.

I have seen people fitting solid flywheel to VW PD diesel engines and these never had them as standard and they have no issues other than it sounding horribley clattery as the DMF is designed to absorb vibrations to quieten things down and make for smoother running.
Without a duel mass any excess vibration is not taken up via the smaller and larger mass but rather directly on your drive train. There is plenty of written examples on line of people fitting single mass and damaging components.

We all need to agree that the DMF is smoother, easier on drive train and to original specification.

Whist likely the single mass will cause no problems we are relying on people on the internet as assurance.

Look, it’s like this. A single mass has a single advantage, price. And in this instance the price of the single mass is censiderable and possibly the same as the dmf in the first place! It offers nothing.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:08   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The single mass Dai has sent a link to is about 9kg lighter than the original solid flywheel and is designed to work with the 850R clutch to hold big power so it has a massive advantage over the DMF.

I thought I would do some more research about this specifically revolving around the m90 gearbox. I have found that some people get a rattle in neutral with the clutch not pressed due to the gearbox design. One person said they didn't get this with the ttv flywheel fitted, they fitted one to another 940 and they got it. If you are going for more than 200hp it seems the DMF can't cope and starts to rattle.
Old May 27th, 2019, 11:37   #7
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Without a duel mass any excess vibration is not taken up via the smaller and larger mass but rather directly on your drive train.
There shouldn't be any excess vibration anywhere if all is well. Unless there's a duel taking place inside the dual mass? En garde!

Quote:
There is plenty of written examples on line of people fitting single mass and damaging components.
Let's see all the damaged examples of 740s and early 940s fitted with the factory single mass.

Quote:
We all need to agree that the DMF is smoother, easier on drive train and to original specification.
DMFs were primarily introduced on these cars for two reasons. To help their target audience (silver tops) start from stationary without putting on a zillion revs, and to aid smooth running at low engine speeds. (perfect for them to chug it in 4th gear everywhere!)

They smooth things out, no doubt. But they are all 20+ years old now, a bit clackity, and not really suitable when aiming for more power. A constipated snail's turd moves quicker than a DMF revs as well.

Easier on drive train? No.

Quote:
Look, it’s like this. A single mass has a single advantage, price. And in this instance the price of the single mass is censiderable and possibly the same as the dmf in the first place! It offers nothing.
Are new DMFs available for these cars? Doubt it. Probably looking at £600+ just for that.
Old May 28th, 2019, 19:34   #8
ThePurplePanther
Member at Large

If you're just after a ttv single mass flywheel i have one that i only ran for ~1000 miles.

They do cause some 'gear clatter' in neutral and it is easier to stall at low speeds, just need to change your driving style a bit in carparks etc - downside

They actually weigh considerably less that a small moon (unlike dmf) and so allow the b230 to actually rev - upside

They are also basically a must if you are looking to go over ~200bhp as the stock dmf doesnt like it - mine was hittting it's limit hence the single mass swap. My 940 was then swapped back to near stock to be sold as i'm working on a 960 t6 project atm and needed my much loved 940 out the way... (just in case you were curious why i only ran it for a short while then swapped it out. I really liked it when it was fitted and the chatter was my only complaint as i have very low tolerance for noises i find annoying - pasengers didn't seem to notice)

If you are intersted pm me

PP
ThePurplePanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 07:37   #9
360beast
Go redblock or go home

How loud was the chattering Alex?
Old May 29th, 2019, 16:18   #10
ThePurplePanther
Member at Large

I'd say closest description is when you get a pebble in your tire tread and drive through a town at ~30. It's the click-click-click noise.

Much louder in the car than outside of it, which is strange, and is only at tickover in neutral. 900+rpm and it goes, pressure on the clutch pedal and it goes.

None of my pasengers were bothered by it, but i have low noise tolerance so it annoyed me.

Btw it also made the same sound with a failed dmf.
ThePurplePanther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePurplePanther For This Useful Post: