Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

waterpump renewal during cambelt change

Views : 553

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2020, 11:25   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default waterpump renewal during cambelt change

The S70 T5 that I'll be picking up in a few days has 137k miles up and so is due a cambelt soon. I'm going to do it myself as it isn't that difficult a job, but... I'm undecided about whether I should replace the water pump while I'm at it. I'd usually just do that anyway, but Volvo pumps can last for 200k without any issue, so if there isn't any sign of leakage or free play I'm tempted to leave the original one in situ. Do you think that is wise?

The reason I want to put it off for now, is that when I change the waterpump I'll probably do a raft of cooling system replacements at the same time, as the system will be drained - radiator, heater matrix, coolant temp sensor, thermostat, reservoir & cap plus (probably) all the hoses.

I'm a bit reluctant to do all this straight off as I want to see what else needs attention before I spend all my money on these items - it may need the brakes or bushes doing more urgently, whereas the cooling system may be ok for another year... (I'll be doing the vacuum lines and PCV -with mod- as a matter of course).

The bottom line - do you think the original water pump is good for 150k (I doubt I'll actually do 10k this year but...) or is that exceptional?

Thanks!

Last edited by RollingThunder; Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:44.
RollingThunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 11:35   #2
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Change it no if's or but's in my opinion..
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 11:36   #3
4x4
Premier Member

If it was me I would change it while in there
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 11:46   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

OK, thanks, I'll do it as well then. Genuine Volvo/Aisin of course. I'll hang fire with the other cooling system parts for now, unless they need obvious replacement.

Thanks guys
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 12:03   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

There was a long thread on this very subject a while back, and there were a mix of opinions IIRC. General drift was that the quality of original pumps was VERY good, and when you have it apart if it spins smoothly with no play and no leaks then leave well alone. I think the argument is that a replacement pump might not be as good quality and might fail relatively early, even if it's a Volvo one - the thought is that even branded Volvo new spares aren't as good quality as the originals fitted at the factory.

No idea if this is true, when I did my cam belt at 145k I replaced the pump, but wish I hadn't bothered, there's clearly absolutely nothing wrong with the old one - I've kept it just in case!
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 12:08   #6
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I read that very discussion with great interest, and that was why I was asking. I wasn't sure if your experience was a one off or whether it has been shared by other members. I guess I'll just have to wait until I get the car and assess the position then - if the coolant needs replacing as well, then I may as well do the pump anyway.

I just don't want to spend several £100s up front and find something else needs several £100s to fix 3 weeks later!!!

Either way, I think I need to buy shares in FRF lol
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 12:15   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

Volvo pumps are generally bomb proof, I have had pumps last 370,000 and 270,00mls without any issues. Still good when cars scrapped at those mileages due to rust.

However if you are planning on doing cooling system.in the future, change the pump when you do the belt as you do not want to be removing the belt just to replace the pump. As you plan, only fit a genuine Volvo pump.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 14:33   #8
400-ascona
Premier Member

After having had a few Volvos now I've always skipped the pump on the first belt change and replaced it on the second. However the ones I've removed have always felt perfectly serviceable!

Comes down to how keen you are if you have to go back in to replace it at a later date? At the end of the day I would imagine total failure is low risk, so its just about leaks. If it starts leaking, its not going to stop you completing a journey. It will however mean taking the cam belt off again. So like I said, what value do you put on your time?

Equally, I spent 1 hour skimming the discs for the mother in laws car at the weekend to find that new discs and pads are only £36 (she never goes over 30mph and 3 miles, so Eicher will do!). So it also depends on what a pump costs. Less than £50 for me would be replace. More than £100 and I wouldn't do it. In the middle of the two, I would struggle to make my mind up like you!

Best of luck! Rob