Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 10 dvd sound

Views : 1036

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2020, 13:07   #1
Ezz

Default Xc90 10 dvd sound

Hi all.

I have alwsys found the post on here to be very helpful.
I hope you can help me with a sound issue.

I have an 2005 xc90 with the uk dealer fitted 10 disc dvd player in boot and 2 swivel screens in the headrests. Thanks to previous threads i have the manual and i even have an original remote which works. I dont have the original headphones. The only ones on ebay are in France and £133 for 2. I have tried headphone which have a fm tuner which have bot worked. I have remover the audio in from the back of the thomson transmitter and plugged it in to headphones which has not worked.

My question is... how do i hard wire a audio lead in so the passengers only have to plug there headphones in and off they go. No need to tune in. I cant see if the sound comes straight from the dcd player or goes to the screens first. I think it should come from the screens which means i should be able to intersect it under the seats.

What do you all think...

Long trip coming up so would be cool to have a bit of time for an adult conversation with the wife.

Cheers
Dave
Ezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 14:36   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, there. Not sure if you have found the adapter box that takes output from the 10dvd player. It is under the quadrant in the floor to the left behind the wheel arch. You need a 20mm docket to remove the panel with the adapter, one Thomson transmitter and relay.

The adapter has phono out for left and right audio channels and normally plugged into the Thomson transmitter. Hopefully picture attached

You should be able to purchase cables to adapt this to hard wire headsets.

The old headphones are a tad hopeless as they need batteries and the kids will always leave them switched on.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200713_141704_3_compress37.jpg (92.7 KB, 24 views)
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 16:16   #3
Ezz

Hi john.

Yes i found what you have pictured. I removed the audio in cable from the back of the silver transmitter and with a few connectors fitted a headphone to it. I tried normal headphones which came with my phone but no sound. Thought that the volume control was important so purchased a headphone with this function. Unfortunately they did not charge (so faulty) .
Am i on the right lines?
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 16:28   #4
john langrick
Master Member

Sounds like you are on the right track, you will see the audio out and that appears to have failed.

The signal.out of the adapter should be fine to adapt to anything. I tested mine by removing the jack from the Thomson transmitter and plugging it into a Bluetooth speaker and was fine.

I assume that otherwise the dvd plays fine and if so may be the adapter is faulty with no audio out.

I do have a spare one if you want to try it out and pay postage to send to you. If it works then I paid £20 for it from a breaker thinking mine was faulty a couple of years ago. In the end the problem was elsewhere so mine is spare.

Pse let me know.

John l
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 16:53   #5
rxtian

You might be needing an amplifier to drive the headphones from those phono outputs... something like this: Pyle PHA40 Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier Professional 4-Chnl Mini Earphone Splitter Amp Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003M8NV..._ADheFbXRRQFF3

Though I wouldn’t expect that 12v input to be able to withstand the full range of battery voltage.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 18:54   #6
Ezz

Thats really helpful. I have a few sound bars i can use to test it. When you say the adapter might be faulty. Which is the adapter. Is it in the photo you posted?
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 19:04   #7
Ezz

Sorry john. You did include it in the photo. Thank you
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 09:30   #8
Ezz

Hi john.

I have checked the cables from the adapter to the transmitter. They all seem fine. I cleaned the adapter and the cable. I also swapped the left and right audio out leads to see if it was just one of them. but still no sound.
The video out must be ok as the screens are all working although i did notice that the remote will only work on the right screen. Maybe the adapter is faulty .

Would i be able to try your spare? Don't think i can direct message you yet.
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 14:31   #9
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, send me a msg to johnlangrick@aol.com with address detail and will post.

John l
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 13:58   #10
john langrick
Master Member

Posted Saturday, second class. Should be with you Tues.

Cheers