Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Quick introduction

Views : 1258

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2020, 21:31   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default Quick introduction

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself as I'll be collecting my S70 in a week or so, and so will hopefully become an active member of this forum. I've previously had an 850R, V70R, V70R AWD plus many many 940/960s. My current ride is an S40 D5 which is nice, but I just had an itch for a T5 that I couldn't shake

Anyway, my new daily driver will be this -

Its pretty nice isn't it. 130k miles, part service history HPI clear, excellent MoT history (just the usual tyres, light out etc).

A few things that caught my eye - it has an S70R front bumper and boot spoiler, it has genuine Volvo 'crystal' headlamps from a C70, it has an 'eggcrate' grille, and it has a genuine Volvo strut brace - all things that I put on my last V70

The PO has also installed a BSR air intake which will go - I've never understood why people put cone filters in a hot engine bay? Thats 10bhp+ lost straight away. I'll be fitting a std airbox once I've given it a 'stage 0' service. If you have a keen eye you'll have noticed the accelerator cable in the engine pic - yes, its a pre- 'electronic throttle body' engine In other words, its mechanically identical to my beloved 850R - which I only sold because of the hard ride and auto gearbox.

After I'd hit the buy button, the garage called me back to give me some more info - its well known to the garage and they've been servicing it for a while. The PO was a bodyshop technician and so the spoilers are a perfect colour match and the body is 'very very good for a 23 year old vehicle'. He forgot to mention that its had a new clutch... and that he'll put a new MoT on it.

So I'm made up - I was after a long term keeper, and almost by accident I found the advert within an hour or so of it being posted. I reckon someone 'up there' was listening to my wish list and thought I could do with a break

I'll post more pics in a new 'showroom' thread when I collect it in a week or so.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 22:07   #2
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

It has been listed on Ebay a few times over the last month or two.
Was originally in Liverpool now In Birmingham.
Was priced up at £2500 if I recall correctly.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 23:01   #3
RaelG

Very smart. I’m glad you explained about the C70 bits because I had to squint to make my head understand what I was looking at because it’s a clear C70 face in my eyes.

Sounds like you got smiled on, enjoy it!
The Following User Says Thank You to RaelG For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 08:46   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Rudi- Thats about what I paid for it, so I'm ok with that. I'm surprised it didn't sell before if its been advertised previously - a manual T5 is rare now, and saloons are even rarer. I was looking for an 850 T5 manual before considering the S70 - the 850s are like unicorns and go for silly money regardless of condition.

RaelG - thanks, I'm pretty excited about it. I know there will be work to do (general service plus probably cambelt, PCV service, maybe bushes, brakes, tyres, aircon service, clean & treat the leather etc etc.) but I'll do a bit at a time over the next year. I'll probably fit a DAB radio too.

After that, who knows? Probably a custom exhaust and 100 cell cat to let the turbo spin up more freely, change the wheels to Propus or Satellite... but thats a long way off lol. First job is to do the stage 0 tune up and make sure its reliable.

Actually, the first job is to sell the S40 to pay for it all!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 09:11   #5
RaelG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
RaelG - thanks, I'm pretty excited about it. I know there will be work to do (general service plus probably cambelt, PCV service, maybe bushes, brakes, tyres, aircon service, clean & treat the leather etc etc.) but I'll do a bit at a time over the next year. I'll probably fit a DAB radio too.

After that, who knows? Probably a custom exhaust and 100 cell cat to let the turbo spin up more freely, change the wheels to Propus or Satellite... but thats a long way off lol. First job is to do the stage 0 tune up and make sure its reliable.

Actually, the first job is to sell the S40 to pay for it all!
A man with a plan! I'm in a similar boat (albeit it slightly different boats) in that there's a lot of the basics to sort first then move through the car fixing, sorting and then can come the fettling later.
The Following User Says Thank You to RaelG For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 10:10   #6
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

@ Rolling Thunder.. glad you got it for sensible money.
I hate dealers who mark things up and screw you over and the original owner.
There were 2 for sale at the same time( different owners )
Yours and a Siver auto
Happy days
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 08:12   #7
cam
Premier Member

Smile

Hi mate and welcome,good looking car.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 16:35   #8
Baffler
Premier Member

Very nice! Good to see you've returned to the P80

Looks as though the previous owner went to great lengths to bring it up to a very high standard. Some pretty rare and expensive parts to try and obtain these days.

The cone filter has the all important shield so you may consider keeping it (track day) unless the intake sound is annoying.

Well wear with it!!!

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 17:48   #9
PNuT
MaDMaN

gay pink like mine....
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 17:50   #10
PRainbow

Gosh, that is gorgeous. Lucky man, love the car, love the colour.
PRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PRainbow For This Useful Post: