Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Erratic Wipers - Is it a CEM fault ?

Views : 3759

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2020, 16:32   #21
rik007

Next step ... have popped out one of the sockets on my test/replacement connector for the CEM. You can see the tiny lever on the socket that needs pressing down. I managed with the end of a compass but it does have to be small.

Hope its of interest.

Have ordered a CEM hoping somehow to get it cloned. Clean the connector on the car of the snapped off pins then hopefully we'll see if that has cured the issue!!

Rich

Photos a bit fuzzy but you'll get the idea...

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1601307134

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1601307134

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1601307195
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1649.JPG (72.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1642.JPG (62.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1640.JPG (63.1 KB, 9 views)
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 17:36   #22
rik007

Well, took the CEM and a spare CEM to the electrics man.

Said he could not read the data, so has swapped the chip over without asking me first. Put the updated CEM in the car and it will not start.

Bloke said that's tough luck, you'll need to take the car to Volvo for a new CEM and programming!

£1,500 .... just because he's popped the chip!!

Clone .... the clue is in the word, not bodge one from the other and screw the customer over.
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 18:15   #23
oragex
Premier Member

I'm not sure if I already mentioned it but if you have a Dice and a laptop, you may try getting a used CEM from the breakers, and have these guys program it remotely - try asking them https://www.datatransferring.com/contact
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 20:47   #24
rik007

Thanks, looks like I will have to buy another CEM as I'm pretty sure this chap has knackered both mine. i.e. the original (which was ok other than a busted pin on one of the connectors) and the replacement from a breakers.

So, its another from a breaker.

I assume that the contact above will be able to program the replacement CEM from scratch? The original CEM and its associated chip have been toasted.

Many thanks,

Richard

(ironically I don't think the CEM is the location of the wiper fault anyway, so its £200 down the drain so far, and another £1500 minimum if I end up at Volvo)
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 00:09   #25
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
ironically I don't think the CEM is the location of the wiper fault anyway
I said on the first page that you had nothing suggesting an actual CEM fault so I was surprised to see how this thread has developed.
Who was the guy who removes CEM chips without authorisation?
It doesn't sound like www.volvodiagnostic.com who was recommended due to his excellent reputation on here.
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 17:49   #26
rik007

Well as it turns out you are quite correct, the CEM issue may be a red-herring.

However I am fairly sure I'd read an article on water ingress into the CEM may be a problem. Hence the investigation. On taking the top two connectors off I could see there had been corrosion and as it happened two pins on one connector had corroded and come clean away. Green verdigris was evident on most connections.

Which is why I thought it would be helpful to eliminate the broken pins/wires. To me great regret as it turns out.

The local engineer, could not have been less concerned. He's a well know electronics in the area and recommended by a number of garages. But went on to claim he was doing me a favour for £80, then didn't do what I'd asked and claimed I'd been giving him appalling treatment for wondering how he expected me to resolve the two busted CEM's and a car that now wont start. A classic tale of the customer getting the blame for his balls up! Apparently black is actually white after all.

The only option I have now is to locate a new CEM and find someone who would do it. So I will follow your lead above .... I am very grateful.

I have to confess that even after this sorry tale, it seems the erratic windscreen wipers will still be a problem. Even with the 'replacement CEM' in the electrics came up but no wipers only erratic high speed ones occasionally fired up then stopped an odd intervals.

Anyway at least I'll know all the CEM pins are in good working order when once is finally back in place.

Rich
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 20:33   #27
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
I am fairly sure I'd read an article on water ingress into the CEM may be a problem. Hence the investigation.
Water ingress is common on some but classic CEM symptoms manifest in multiple faults across multiple modules as nearly every other module interacts with the CEM.
You had only CEM fault codes though relating to quite a specific area/funtion which suggests a localised wiring/communication issue rather than a faulty CEM messing up signals from other connected modules.
That's my take on it anyway.

That guy sounds like a shyster and I hope you get sorted.
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 10:26   #28
rik007

Out of interest...

Spoke to https://www.datatransferring.com/ the chap there very helpful.

He said no way can you just transport a chip from one CEM to another it will not work.

To stand any chance the CEM chip has to be resoldered back onto the original CEM. Then either they can connect remotely and read the data file, as long as it hasn't been corrupted. Then put back to a replacement CEM.

OR, post the two CEM's to the USA. They can work on the problem and post back. But even then its no guarantee as they don't know the condition of the chip.

If all the fails, its up to Volvo UK with the car and new CEM for a complete reload of fresh data onto the CEM. The US cannot load fresh data onto the CEM only if there is an existing file to be read.

1. Buy their module which they post out, so that they can connect remotely $150

2. Extract and load data assuming chip is OK. $200

3. Go to Volvo UK £1500 (in which case it probably worth a quick holiday to California)

4. Get the chip resoldered and by the grace of God, it may just spring into life £50.

Rich.
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 14:34   #29
cheshired5
Premier Member

Have you spoken to http://www.volvodiagnostic.com/

Posting anything to the US is extremely expensive and time consuming at the moment and you have a very experienced guy right here in the UK.