Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hi from noob (and Megasquirt Qs)

Views : 962

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2015, 23:41   #1
CHARLIEDONTSURF

Default Hi from noob (and Megasquirt Qs)

Hi chaps/chapess'

Was pointed in the direction of the forum by a mate (Axeman) he fitted a B23 into his VW T25. Guess what I am doing.........

So, brace yourself for loads of stupid volvo Qs as I don't understand the things TBH!

First Q then, B23 running on a carb, am going to put MS on it . Have been looking at inlet manifolds and B230F looks just the ticket. Is this engine spec a UK market one that's easy to come by? Just want inlet manifold, fuel rail, isv etc

Think that's it for now, will grab some pics when I get the engine off the pallet etc but here's me van for now

Ex German army with 57k km on it from new and rust free.

Here is a boring pic of engine on pallet, paid silly cheap money for engine complete with adapter kit and everything needed to fit it on a carb(sorry , not very exciting but we all like pics)

Got a spare head going off to Grace Engineering soon (unless anyone else can recommend anyone else for a good head job)

Recommendations on cam grind? Think I've got an A in existing head and K in spare head. Opinions on the VX CAMS?

I've the feeling this is the start of something very beautiful
CHARLIEDONTSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CHARLIEDONTSURF For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 07:20   #2
cam
Premier Member

Smile

Hi mate welcome, that looks a cool vehicle to have, nice one
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 08:03   #3
wooble
Stay gold baby!

B200F/B230F are all over the place. 91-93 240s, later 740s and all 940s used it and all have more or less the same injection parts and manifoldery.

On cams, it depends how you want the engine to deliver power, hotter cams tend to give more top end breathing at the expense of low down torque. M and T cam are rubbish, A cam is good, V is a bit hotter than A, VX, despite sounding sexy, is a slightly tamed V for emissions, K is the next up the ladder and H is the most powerful, but with the K and especially the H you start to notice a lumpier idle and less torque below 3000 rpm. If you decide to sell the K, I'd be interested, though!
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 09:19   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The A cam is a good all round cam and also works very well with Turbo engines. The K is almost the hottest factory cam (only the H is hotter) but still has enough low down to be perectly fine on the road and for towing. With stand alone fueling and ignition the flatness at low revs should be less noticeable.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 09:57   #5
Fridazadilak
Low & Lazy

Whereabouts in Devon are you mate? I'm in Torbay, and work in Exeter.

I've got a couple of engines worth of parts including a couple of inlet manifolds complete with fuel rails and injectors if you need anything? Also got a B200F minus the exhaust manifold.

Dan
Fridazadilak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 13:15   #6
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

if you fit the later LH style injection make sure you don't use a k jet head since they will have holes machined for the injectors .

where did you get your adapter plate ? could be a cheap way to make a B230 turbo mid engine ....
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 14:00   #7
CHARLIEDONTSURF

Hi chaps/chapess' and thankyou for the kind words.

Am in Exeter too chap, Marsh Barton/A30 is a stones throw away.

Adapter kit was from a swedish company called SMT

http://www.smt.nu/volvo-240740940-pa...urbodiesel.php

£550 gets you adapter plate, flywheel and exhaust downpipe and a full and comprehensive set of instructions.

They have made them for years, story goes back in the 80s/90s the utility companies were fed up getting rammed with stupid import tax on foreign vehicles so bought single and double cabs (mainly 4wd / syncros like Axemans) with no engines fitted to attract a lower tax band.

If anyone is bored tonight, read this..............

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=85664

long and short is, the kit was never really designed for a full bodied van, only pick up versions (they have a taller engine bay).

When he gave up and sold the van, i ended up buying everything i need to do the conversion for £400!!!! adapter plate, engine, water pipes - EVERYTHING . I got a huge folder full of paperwork- he spent £500 at main dealers on gaskets, fuel pump etc etc so i got a bargain.

Bought a weber twin choke off Axeman (he kiled his redblock and is now fitting a 20v).

One more Q........................

I see a 340/360 waterpump is 15mm or so shorter.

Which model exactly do i need for my engine and what pulley? Someone sell me the pulley!!
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 14:04   #8
CHARLIEDONTSURF

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebslater(uk) View Post
if you fit the later LH style injection make sure you don't use a k jet head since they will have holes machined for the injectors .

where did you get your adapter plate ? could be a cheap way to make a B230 turbo mid engine ....
Cheers chap. Havent even unwrapped the engine yet properly. lol

Any reason why i cant machine bungs/grubs etc to block injector holes and then use an F manifold?

Am getting axemans spare head off the engine he destroyed and he has a weber and sure he said his has some sort of pro made slugs in.

Me mate is part way through an FT conversion in his single cab pick up, thing is he is very unmotivated and very stupid (depsite writing computer coding for a living)
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 19:10   #9
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

From the smt website , that's apparently for fitting vw engines to Volvo gearboxes....
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 19:36   #10
CHARLIEDONTSURF

Could very well be chap, they've changed the site recently and some of the stuff has disappeared.

Look on 80-90 link for adapter and flywheel pics.