Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo still top on safety

Views : 2855

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2019, 21:21   #11
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That has been the case for many years , those beams behind the rear bumper are boron steel for the last 13 years and also used in critical places in the bodyshell , You just cannot drill Boron steel, it is so hard , equivalent to steel 5 or 6mm thick with 1/5 the weight . Volvo never boasted about it in Advertisments just carried on behind the scenes doing the best job in the industry as they always have of course..

This is a V60 if i'm not mistaken Red = Boron and there are various other less hard grades to allow a softer impact ,
Clan, got to thank you for your knowledge of Volvo. Always interesting to read what you have to say. Please continue.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 21:24   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
I think its a shame that people don't consider this kind of thing more. The amount of times I hear "<insert manufacturer> has <insert factory option> as standard, why doesn't Volvo?" My usual response is that Volvo Spend more on Saftey Design/Systems than any other manufacturer (relative to their size) and so the fact that our car doesn't have <insert option> is possibly due to the fact they've spent the money on more Boron Steel or Crash testing.... usually does the trick, but you can see the customers thinking "yes, but I still want <insert option> as standard too"

A lot of the money Volvo invest into their cars wouldn't ever be seen unless the worst happened - but then it may save your life - Maybe that needs to be Volvos new strapline? - "Yes - Maybe we don't have <insert option> as standard, but we put extra Boron Steel into your car which may save your life - Which would you prefer?...."
if you look deeper into the catalogue volvo has more standard than just about everyone else ..
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 21:34   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Clan, got to thank you for your knowledge of Volvo. Always interesting to read what you have to say. Please continue.
thanks , i don't often get compliments ! Merry Christmas 🎅
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 21:39   #14
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
if you look deeper into the catalogue volvo has more standard than just about everyone else ..
Would fully agree with that. Standard spec has most of what you need, and things like the fully graphical instrument binnacle is standard which I expect it is not on Audi/Merc/BMW? Ditto LED headlights and taillights - maybe Audi/BMW have caught up on this one now on latest models, but certainly weren't in the last few years.

The one I always laugh at on Audi's is the extra £ for animated indicators Really? Is that an aspirational feature?
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 21:42   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
Would fully agree with that. Standard spec has most of what you need, and things like the fully graphical instrument binnacle is standard which I expect it is not on Audi/Merc/BMW? Ditto LED headlights and taillights - maybe Audi/BMW have caught up on this one now on latest models, but certainly weren't in the last few years.

The one I always laugh at on Audi's is the extra £ for animated indicators Really? Is that an aspirational feature?
I detest those they are so tacky like on a childs toy car , luckily it's just the Germans with them at the moment .
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 21:52   #16
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
I detest those they are so tacky like on a childs toy car , luckily it's just the Germans with them at the moment .
Exterior LED lights is starting to creep slowly over more of the car. The 911 now has a full strip across the back. Ditto Renault. Seems to be a bit of an LED competition across manufacturers. Can't be long until we have OLED over the whole body with fully customisable graphics - I expect someone has already done this!
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 22:12   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Exterior LED lights is starting to creep slowly over more of the car. The 911 now has a full strip across the back. Ditto Renault. Seems to be a bit of an LED competition across manufacturers. Can't be long until we have OLED over the whole body with fully customisable graphics - I expect someone has already done this!
VERY expensive when they fail and they do ... water is a killer ..
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 22:38   #18
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Oled screens on wheels with customisable graphics!
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 08:13   #19
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
That's exactly why I feel that Volvo is (still) ahead of the competition.
EURONCAP evaluates the standard safety features, not just the available ones.
That's the reason the XC90 got 94% on safety assist in the EURONCAP test
while the new Q7 only got 72%.
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 08:16   #20
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
VERY expensive when they fail and they do ... water is a killer ..
Yes, everything can (and will at some point) fail.
Given the choice, I am not sure I would have opted for LED lights.