Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: V50 1.6D Drive 2010 Eolys tank filling DPF PAT fluid

Views : 24096

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 11:07   #1
jimbo1593
Master Member

Default Guide: V50 1.6D Drive 2010 Eolys tank filling DPF PAT fluid

Don't normally post on this forum but wanted to post my process for refilling the Eolys tank on the above model.

I wore long sleeves, gloves and goggles to avoid contact with the fluid.

I found a single helpful video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0tdT93OXAI
and pretty much nothing else. The Haynes comic was particularly bad.

The Eolys tank sits directly infront of the rear beam.

I have attached a picture below.

On the nearside of the tank is the wiring to ECU and the pipe that goes forward away from the tank.

On the offside of the tank at the top of the tank is the drain port, this is on a swivel and will probably be turned upwards, it can be twisted down with minimal resistance. The end of the hose has a quick release cover that can be removed by depressing the blue button and pulling. The end of this hose is about 8mm outside diameter.

At the front, towards engine, of the tank right at the top is the filling arrangement. There seems to be a single pipe with a T-piece that spilts the pipe into two, as shown. My understanding of this is that the uppermost pipe might be an airvent for filling and th lowermost the actual fill pipe. The pipes are secured upwards with little clips that can be easily removed and the fill pipe can then be pulled down. The fill pipe has an end the same as the drain pipe. I left the "vent" in situ and didn't touch it at all and managed to the fill the tank, albeit slowly. The fill pipe might leak some fluid when you remove the cover make sure you aren't directly underneath it.

I used a non-volvo PAT fluid off the internet with it's associated fitting kit. The fitting kit screws directly to the top of the bottle and has a quick fit clip to connect the tube to the fill pipe, there is also a short piece of pipe for the drain.
The volvo drain pipe is probably long enough to drain down into a container without the kit.
The screw cap and tube is nice as it prevents leakage of fluid, which apparently is quite nasty stuff. I found the 90cm tubing to be only just long enough to prop the inverted fluid bottle in the wheel arch above the tyre thus alowing gravity to fill the container. Using this method it took about 10-15 to fully empty the bottle. My tank must have been empty because nothing came out of the drain pipe.

In my view if a peice of long 150cm tube and a funnel would suffice but because of the nature of the fluid I would pay the £10 for the fitting kit.

After filling everything disconnected with ease and could be tucked away whence it came.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1253_1.jpg (92.1 KB, 337 views)
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jimbo1593 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 16:31   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

you still need to put it on vida and reset ADM tank level...
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 20:06   #3
jimbo1593
Master Member

Well aware of that. Thx.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 20:45   #4
dave j

Smile

Very useful guide - thanks!

Could you see when under the vehicle how difficult it would be to actually remove the dpf fluid tank for replacement?

My local dealer [confirmed by another mech] has suggested that my tank [1.6D c30 2007] is kaputt -it knows it has fluid in it but the sensor won't allow the tank to dose the dpf. Dealer is suggesting replace the tank with a new unit [around £300 for the part] but I'm considering sourcing a s/h unit, filling it and using VIDA to reset?

Any advice much appreciated
dave j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 15:08   #5
jimbo1593
Master Member

ouch, sound dear Dave.

To be honest I didn't look at how to remove the tank.
Haynes says that it comes as a single unit, so what the dealer says sounds right.
Haynes also says it is only 3 screws.
Access not easy but if you have axle stands it shouldn't be horrendous.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 17:39   #6
Bloders2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave j View Post

Could you see when under the vehicle how difficult it would be to actually remove the dpf fluid tank for replacement?

My local dealer [confirmed by another mech] has suggested that my tank [1.6D c30 2007] is kaputt -it knows it has fluid in it but the sensor won't allow the tank to dose the dpf. Dealer is suggesting replace the tank with a new unit [around £300 for the part] but I'm considering sourcing a s/h unit, filling it and using VIDA to reset?

yep, three screws (torx fitting) holds it on. just sold mine off a car im breaking so removed it a week or so.
Not too bad but the fasteners were a bit tight. had to hit one quite hard with a chisel to get it to break free.
exhaust was off my car, i think this made it quite a bit easier to do
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 08:33   #7
dave j

Hi

Thanks for the replies guys.

I ended up having the dealer do it - cost £390 all in after a bit of haggling...

I had priced up at £63 for fluid, £65 ish for a VIDA/DICE and whatever it would have cost for a s/h tank - no idea but wasn't expecting it to be too expensive as it doesn't seem to be a part in high demand [just by lucky blokes like me....]

The service bloke at the dealers did say that a replacement tank would have to be "coded" to the vehicle as they are specific to the VIN - didn't sound right to me - perhaps he meant that the level had to be reset via VIDA?

Anyway all sorted now - thanks again for your help

Cheers

D J
dave j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 15:14   #8
Pete-V70 D5 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave j View Post

Thanks for thr refill process above. Makes it appear a lot less daunting. I wonder if one fills the unit without the VIDA process then this might be the cause of your issue? Otherwise whats the point of the VIDA process and what would happen if ignored but the tank is filled?
Pete-V70 D5 2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 19:10   #9
Pete-V70 D5 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1593 View Post
Don't normally post on this forum but wanted to post my process for refilling the Eolys tank on the above model.
Thanks for that excellent article and the drawing

What happened that caused you to want to fill the tank? Cheers
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 10:32   #10
Pete-V70 D5 2003

Top the tank up anyway if you have just aquired the car (it should be every 36k) I just got mine done and as ever NO messages from the car about it. 1.5ltrs so it was almost bone dry+reset+labour £115 Godfreys of Holbeach, Lincs. Nice one.