Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 DPF, engine and anti skid problems

Views : 15487

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2015, 12:37   #11
HeidiCole

Oh dear, there doesn't appear to be a straight forward answer with these cars. My position is difficult because the car is part financed. In April next year I have the option to give the car back, but i have to have the car in working order to do so. It means I'll not have a car but it'll also save me another 2 years on the finance which I think is the best option for me.

But the next step is to get it working. I'm quite worried about it. I'm going to take it to Volvo at some point as even though it'll be expensive I hope if they wrongly diagnose it I'll get some discount, whereas other garages have not offered to do this so far.

Let me know how you get on with yours. I know when the DPF was changed in mine they had to reset the computer to accept the DPF.
HeidiCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 13:08   #12
Dangerousdave

I've tried but failed with my software, I need to get to reset properly to rule that possible problem out.. For all I know, that could see me a happy Volvo owner, but currently I'm worn out and it's parked up.. I was gonna get a £3000 hot hatch but decided to get myself something nicer, that can do a tip run, reliable, good on fuel, with decent resale value..

This car offers none of that.

I should have got a v70

Last edited by tt82; Nov 26th, 2015 at 15:15. Reason: Removed needless quote.
Dangerousdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 20:17   #13
HeidiCole

I feel your pain, let me know how you get on with it though. I'll just be pleased when I can get rid of it. I purchased this car with the mind set that volvos are well known to be reliable and I was tired of replacing older cars every two years.

I have spent more money on this car than any other I have owned, and I am thoroughly disappointed with it.

I'll update too when i get an answer to why my car is like this.
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 21:05   #14
rick wales

Clan has hit it on the head earlier, when these are well maintained theres not normally not an issue.
Once they get to the point of Blocked DPF due to the aeolis fluid tank being dry the engine builds up a lot of carbon and a turbo failure occurs, very often the replacement turbo will fail in a short space of time and most turbo remanufacturers will not warrant them (we found this out once the hard way).

Peugeout state that if any carbon is present in the inlet tracts and ports that the engine must be replaced!!

We had a employee who had the same problem, and we removed the soot filter and had a quantum remap which has now solved the problem, the root cause of this problem was poor maintenance in the cars first 60,000 miles which seems very common

Last edited by tt82; Nov 26th, 2015 at 15:17. Reason: Removed needless quote.
rick wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 21:10   #15
BigBert

I feel your pain aswell.

I'm going to try see the brighter side...however I'm on the same boat, if this starts costing more than I am willing to pay, for what I call a decent car compared to what I've owned before, I'll be patching it together and punting it on or trading it in.

I was told the 2l diesel had loads of issues so I avoided them...if I knew the 1.6 was the same I'd have just went for a D5 or a petrol.

I did get a reply from my mate today who has it
"having a nightmare with it mate have ordered a new sump strainer the housing is cracked nd cant risk that, no swarf so far so im think with the strainer cracked its dropped oil pressure nd knackered turbo that way, bolts missing, sump strainer bolt snapped been a real ****. also dads not added labour cost to the quote i gave you so need to sort that out with you, who ever done this in June has butcher it and made a real mess. Utter ****s mate"

So I'm now feeling a bit ****ed off... but I am hopeful he'll sort it
BigBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 22:01   #16
Dangerousdave

I think the only answer to fix this car is a dpf delete, the car can and would run like a dream, but the dpf system and Ecu is programmed to suffocate it and trash its economy...

A was talking to a chap the other day with an Audi tdi who got a delete pretty early on in ownership.. He said the mpg went up, response went up power went up..

I know we're all meant to be saving trees, but these diesels should newer have been put on the road, they offer nothing.. They cost more to run, much much much more.. I am kicking myself for not buying the petrol R version.. That car wouldn't have touched £1000 in running costs when this one has raped me..

Like my friend said, I won't make this mistake ever again.
Dangerousdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 22:50   #17
HeidiCole

Bigbert I was just wondering if you are going to do anything about the carbon build up on the engine?

If my car is the way it is because of the DPF then there must be something that is preventing it from regenerating because I do enough motorway miles for it to regenerate.
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 22:53   #18
HeidiCole

Rick Wales - why does the turbos keep failing on these cars, it all appears to be related to the DPF. If the DPF is replaced again, will that prevent this issue? So confused as to how this car runs.
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 22:59   #19
rick wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiCole View Post
Bigbert I was just wondering if you are going to do anything about the carbon build up on the engine?

If my car is the way it is because of the DPF then there must be something that is preventing it from regenerating because I do enough motorway miles for it to regenerate.
If it hasn't or wont regenerate theres numerous common problems that can cause this, it needs to be properly checked by someone with suitable experience and software. If the engine has heavy carbon in it its probably time for a full rebuild or replacement, if these are engines are run for long periods with blocked particulate filters they can often be beyond economic repair due to heavy carbon build up and you can just keep throwing money at them if your not careful
rick wales is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rick wales For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 23:09   #20
HeidiCole

Rick Wales - would the carbon build up and DPF block explain why me car starts and then cuts out?

If it needs a new engine there is not much I can do apart from to go ahead and pay for it, but would an engine decarbonise not work?

I guess I'm just trying to find an explanation as to why my car is this way.
And thank you for your advice, it's very useful.

Tags
anti skid service message, dpf, turbo