Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 DPF, engine and anti skid problems

Views : 15354

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2015, 20:05   #41
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADH1 View Post
I have recently purchased a V50 R design 2l diesel, which has been running fine, however during the last week have had starting problems....
I place the key in the ignition and the steering lock does not come off so I get
a message on the dashboard telling me to turn the steering and try again, so I cant get the steering lock off to turn the wheels to start the car, can anyone advise please
The car is trying to warn you to change the steering lock on the column and it's software before it cries enough and strands you in the middle of nowhere ...
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 02:27   #42
BigBert

So...my anti skid light came on...spoke to my mate and he said the abs pump has a valve and a sensor in it...and they aren't communicating with each other to preform.

So he wants to replace that...apparently vw do a pump that's the exact same as the volvo one..vw part £140 and volvo one £500 ish...

Also my emissions lights came on on friday and went into limp mode again...magic. worst car I've owned
BigBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 14:38   #43
domhart10
Volvo S40

wow sounds very frustrating, does sound like that particular car has been a right problem. I would just fix it so that its good to sell or just trade in and get another one from a dealer.
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2015, 01:12   #44
Lotta78

Hi guys...I was reading this thread with growing horror - bought a 06 v50 1.6 diesel just a little over a year ago. Last months I noticed fuel economy got worse and worse, slowly but surely creeped up from 5.6l/kmh to 6.7 l/kmh... Had a full service done in hope it would resolve things, but no effect. Then last Saturday suddenly a loss of power, but no lights coming on on dash, no strange noises - just wouldn't pull anymore properly.

I made it home, just about managed the hills - and had car towed to garage then (Volvo main dealer garage as I don't know any mechanic I'd really trust with this whose independent in the area here - county Kerry in Ireland).

Anyhow - volvos verdict: heater plugs are old and have caused DPF failure! I'm lucky if they'll be able to remove the heater plugs, as they could be seized into the head gasket and if they crack off while trying to remove them, I'd need a new head gasket, also - that was just to warn me, they're trying it carefully. So, that was that.

New heater plugs and new dpf coming in at around 1200 Euro - what do you think about that??

Is that extremely expensive for this work, or reasonably normal??

My other question is, do you think I should trade the car in or sell - is it likely to develop more problems since it had this issue now?? I couldn't afford to pay that kinda money once a year, to be honest. Taking up a loan now already!

I absolutely adore volvos, especially the estate versions.. which one would be recommended? Doesn't necessarily have to be diesel, but reliable...

Thank you all so much in adva for your opinion!!
Lotta78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 20:57   #45
Pete-V70 D5 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADH1 View Post
I have recently purchased a V50 R design 2l diesel, which has been running fine, however during the last week have had starting problems....
I place the key in the ignition and the steering lock does not come off so I get
a message on the dashboard telling me to turn the steering and try again, so I cant get the steering lock off to turn the wheels to start the car, can anyone advise please
This is quite a common problem and I have no doubt all these dozy problems are by design these days. The dealer must be raking it in.

Mine had the same issue, amongst many others over a year and it was solved be removing the steering lock module and cable tiong it under the console still plugged in or you get errors. bugger of a job but a good DIY will sort it, allow plenty of time

P1 Volvo Steering Column Lock Failure
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/p1-volvo-st...n-lock-failure
and these will all help anyone else going through it
P1 Volvo Steering Column Lock Failure
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/p1-volvo-st...n-lock-failure

FCP Euro's DIY Blog /

************************************************** **********************************

Volvo S40 / V40 Steering Lock Fault, Car wont Start. How to Repair or Replace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEt8oxXTqxM

If you get messages like: "Immobilizer see manual", "anti-skid temporarily off", "anti-skid service required", "srs airbag service urgent", instrument cluster goes mad, or you have no control over central locks, wipers, climate...
Most likely you can fix those issues by removing rust and dirt from CEM connectors.
Volvo V50 CEM / Ford Focus MK2 GEM connectors fix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkG_tGTdoYk
************************************************** ************************************************
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...005-S40-T5-AWD
Pete-V70 D5 2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 18:58   #46
phil burt

Default Anti Skid and Engine System Service Required

I'm in the same situation. 2011 Volvo V50 1.6 Drive

In June 2020 we went down to Cannock Chase to meet family. Having travelled 150 miles, just before we arrived, our V50 1.6 went into limp mode. Got RAC out and they informed me it was injector problem and got relayed home. Car started fine day after and took it to a local garage who checked it and all appeared OK so assumed just an electrical fault. Their view was if it's going OK don't start changing injectors - that's expensive.
Today driving locally car again one Tinto limp mode. This time came up with Engine System Service Required and Anti-Skid Service Required. Is this just an electrical fault or serious issue? Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
phil burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 19:34   #47
Pete-V70 D5 2003

Same old same old I'm afraid guys. This Ford, I mean Volvo, V50 problems are notorious and no one seems to know why. What does seem to be common is that after you fiddle, be it cleaning CEM contacts/fuses etc the car will often be ok for 2mths at a time. I cant help thinking this is so common there must be a link. Maybe system picking up lots of random issues without mention and then suddenly gives up and kicks out a random error. Be it engine system service/Anti-skid service/etc. We have had everything cleaned up contacts wise. About the only thing left here is the white wire bypass from pedal switch to CEM but I wont hold my breath that will last either. It looks like my pedal sensor plug has already been done as all the wires are now red which indicates the wires and plugs have been changed, which was also a recommendation.

I am at a total loss and finally give up. get rid of the darn cars ASAP.

Mine has stop start which works great when car used often but I rarely use it these days (had car since 2019) so it doesnt work due to battery being low I guess. It starts again after a long run of a few hours but thats the general story for last year or so. However I decided to disconnect the battery last week for a few hours to see if that help with gremlins. First thing I noticed when reconnected and taken for a short drive was the stop/start was working perfectly for the entire trip of about an hour, so maybe a dozen times in total. This clearly means it cant be a battery issue after all. Mine has two, one for car under bonnet and another under bumper on NSF arch area for stop/start. When I got the car the battery was on the low end of acceptable in voltage terms but its never failed me in starting no matter how long I leave it. Next day all back to normal..engine service message the antiskid and sto/start had stopped again. Im wondering if we might have battery issues after all. usually when you have a duff battery whilst driving silly things start happening like wipers come on etc. So thats my next check too get the battery load tested. Its a 750Ah AGM battery.

No matter what message come up just drive through it as long as you are happy with your servicing schedule and car is all sorted in that area so meesages may be wrong. Whilst driving at say 60 engine service message has no effect usualy, but often you will feel slightly reduced performance, or even a very slight perkiness at other times initially. other times it will feel like its half stopping but just keep going as best you can it soon clears. Same with anti-skid though sometime this can put you in limp type mode
but usually again you can drive through it. if it does get bad then just stop and restarted and it soon clears till next time. Dont bother taking it anywhere else to check because they dont have a clue, no one does currently so its a fingers crossed car. You dont want to waste any more money.

So yeah get shot we just have to.
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 19:35   #48
Pete-V70 D5 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil burt View Post
I'm in the same situation. 2011 Volvo V50 1.6 Drive

In June 2020 we went down to Cannock Chase to meet family. Having travelled 150 miles, just before we arrived, our V50 1.6 went into limp mode. Got RAC out and they informed me it was injector problem and got relayed home. Car started fine day after and took it to a local garage who checked it and all appeared OK so assumed just an electrical fault. Their view was if it's going OK don't start changing injectors - that's expensive.
Today driving locally car again one Tinto limp mode. This time came up with Engine System Service Required and Anti-Skid Service Required. Is this just an electrical fault or serious issue? Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
As long as car still driving ok its a random error p[rbably
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 10:34   #49
wmitchell

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-V70 D5 2003 View Post
Same old same old I'm afraid guys. This Ford, I mean Volvo, V50 problems are notorious and no one seems to know why. What does seem to be common is that after you fiddle, be it cleaning CEM contacts/fuses etc the car will often be ok for 2mths at a time. I cant help thinking this is so common there must be a link. Maybe system picking up lots of random issues without mention and then suddenly gives up and kicks out a random error. Be it engine system service/Anti-skid service/etc. We have had everything cleaned up contacts wise. About the only thing left here is the white wire bypass from pedal switch to CEM but I wont hold my breath that will last either. It looks like my pedal sensor plug has already been done as all the wires are now red which indicates the wires and plugs have been changed, which was also a recommendation.

I am at a total loss and finally give up. get rid of the darn cars ASAP.

Mine has stop start which works great when car used often but I rarely use it these days (had car since 2019) so it doesnt work due to battery being low I guess. It starts again after a long run of a few hours but thats the general story for last year or so. However I decided to disconnect the battery last week for a few hours to see if that help with gremlins. First thing I noticed when reconnected and taken for a short drive was the stop/start was working perfectly for the entire trip of about an hour, so maybe a dozen times in total. This clearly means it cant be a battery issue after all. Mine has two, one for car under bonnet and another under bumper on NSF arch area for stop/start. When I got the car the battery was on the low end of acceptable in voltage terms but its never failed me in starting no matter how long I leave it. Next day all back to normal..engine service message the antiskid and sto/start had stopped again. Im wondering if we might have battery issues after all. usually when you have a duff battery whilst driving silly things start happening like wipers come on etc. So thats my next check too get the battery load tested. Its a 750Ah AGM battery.

No matter what message come up just drive through it as long as you are happy with your servicing schedule and car is all sorted in that area so meesages may be wrong. Whilst driving at say 60 engine service message has no effect usualy, but often you will feel slightly reduced performance, or even a very slight perkiness at other times initially. other times it will feel like its half stopping but just keep going as best you can it soon clears. Same with anti-skid though sometime this can put you in limp type mode
but usually again you can drive through it. if it does get bad then just stop and restarted and it soon clears till next time. Dont bother taking it anywhere else to check because they dont have a clue, no one does currently so its a fingers crossed car. You dont want to waste any more money.

So yeah get shot we just have to.
Sounds an awful lot like what's happening with my V50, which incidentally I bought off a fella called Pete in Newmarket back in April, maroon coloured, sound familiar?

To be fair if this is the same car, it's ran sweet as a nut apart from the above mentioned occasional 'anti-skid service required' and occasional hesitation while cruising, followed by a 'engine system service required' warning, that anti-skid only comes on once a month and tends to be cured by turning car off an and on again. Was getting a few more warning lights earlier in the year which were a pain but clearly all electrical gremlins as they'd tend to all come at once, managed to get the CEM module out and scrubbed it with some contact cleaner, which seemed to clear most of the issues I was having, just the irritating hesitation when the engine is under load that remains.

Totally forgot you mentioned the pedal issues and thought the acceleration hesitation I'm getting was something mechanical (clogged dpf backpressure, fuel filter clogged), but fuel filter looks all good and dpf got replaced around 40k ago so ruled them out quite quick.

Scanned mine and got errors P193b and P1577, both related to the accelerator pedal, just wondering if anyone found a permanent solution to this issue besides pedal replacement? Thanks in advance

Last edited by wmitchell; Oct 18th, 2022 at 11:05.
wmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 11:08   #50
Pete-V70 D5 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmitchell View Post
Sounds an awful lot like what's happening with my V50, which incidentally I bought off a fella called Pete in Newmarket back in April, maroon coloured, sound familiar?
Ah, err...umm. wot would arfur say now? "TERRY" lol

Yeah thats my gal, she clearly hasnt forgotten the good kicking I gave her. The beech.

DPF changed 40k ago!!! Blimey I only sold it to you in march was it? Thats a lorra miles.

You should have gimme a shout I be happen to help you know that. Sadly warranty run out 9am this morning
so ya coulda had a full refund + a holiday in the bahamas to recover the ordeal.

Gimme call, I will email you to remind you. In the old days we used to bang the top of the tv when it started playing up, these days its a different variation on a theme Bring her over and I can run you through some checks. Arfur.

Last edited by Pete-V70 D5 2003; Oct 18th, 2022 at 11:18.

Tags
anti skid service message, dpf, turbo