Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine stutter D4 AWD 2016 manual

Views : 11863

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2016, 00:06   #21
Mikesmith181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There are a lot of Boost pressure sensors playing up at the moment , the one on the intercooler outlet stub ... Is that the one you had trouble with?
I'm not sure mate, the garage just said the map sensor, I presume at the top somewhere as they had the engine cover off.
Mikesmith181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 10:50   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith181 View Post
I'm not sure mate, the garage just said the map sensor, I presume at the top somewhere as they had the engine cover off.
is yours the 4 cylinder or 5 cylinder D4 ?
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 20:41   #23
Mikesmith181

Quote:
is yours the 4 cylinder or 5 cylinder D4 ?
5cylinder D4 I think, never really checked. Not had the car too long TBH. Another quick update, full tank of fuel and it's started doing it again, pretty. Bad, but only seems to be under light throttle, so round corners or maintaining a speed. Getting really annoyed by it now, and I'm tied in a 5 6year finance deal too :-/.
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 22:55   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith181 View Post
5cylinder D4 I think, never really checked. Not had the car too long TBH. Another quick update, full tank of fuel and it's started doing it again, pretty. Bad, but only seems to be under light throttle, so round corners or maintaining a speed. Getting really annoyed by it now, and I'm tied in a 5 6year finance deal too :-/.
well all i can do is suggest the boost sensor in the intercooler pipe on the left side of the car .. there are 3 atmospheric sensors , one in the ECU , one in the Inlet manifold on top left and the other in the intercooler outlet pipe , you need to monitor atmospheric pressure with ignition on and engine off . all 3 readings should be very similar such as 1010 mb 1008 mb 1011 mb , if one deviates a lot from the other two change it . About £80 ..they can be problematic , so if you do change it and it doesnt help you will prevent that problem in the future .It is often accompanied with a lambda sensor fault code .. But if it is always altered by fuel level , go for a tank pump .
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 12:15   #25
Mikesmith181

Quote:
well all i can do is suggest the boost sensor in the intercooler pipe on the left side of the car .. there are 3 atmospheric sensors , one in the ECU , one in the Inlet manifold on top left and the other in the intercooler outlet pipe , you need to monitor atmospheric pressure with ignition on and engine off . all 3 readings should be very similar such as 1010 mb 1008 mb 1011 mb , if one deviates a lot from the other two change it . About £80 ..they can be problematic , so if you do change it and it doesnt help you will prevent that problem in the future .It is often accompanied with a lambda sensor fault code .. But if it is always altered by fuel level , go for a tank pump .
I thought at first fuel level did effect it as only experienced the judder when it was below half a tank, but it did it quite a bit yesterday on a full tank. Would the atmospheric sensors still cause issues at such low throttle and speeds around 15-20 MPH, it does it at faster speeds to, but a lot more at the slower speeds.
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 22:01   #26
Kieranwhite9

Default Quick update

Quick update on mine. The stutter seems to have virtually stopped since October. Every now and again I can sense a very very slight stutter. Again this is only when light throttle is used between 30-40 mph. Still think it's something to do with the air conditioning. I will see if it comes back when the warmer weather appears. I didn't notice any difference in frequency of stutter in relation to fuel levels. It's just done 10k now.
Kieranwhite9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 21:25   #27
Kieranwhite9

New update. The stutter has returned. It's very slight but definitely feels like it will get worse. I am now convinced it has something to do with the airconditioning. When it is on auto and set low it seems to bring on the stutter. As the weather has recently been hot I've had the aircon set low and on auto.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Kieranwhite9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 03:22   #28
andrelrov

Hy everyone any thoughts will be appreciated.

I own a V60 D4 181 hp 2014, that started developing a stutter under slight throttle (1000 1200 rpm) at cold starts, when hot everything appears fine.

No fault warning show nor stored after read at dealer.

Until now the dealer cleaned map sensor on the intake and made a forced regeneration of DPF with no gains at all to the problem.

The map sensor was in very nice condition with almost no signs of sludge.

It has about 70.000 Km and serviced every year at the volvo dealer.

Thanks to anyone that lends a hand to my problem.
andrelrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 08:55   #29
iandoot

How interesting, I have the D4 in my XC60 and it is doing exactly the same. Only started after it’s 72k service. I took it back to the dealers who said they couldn’t find anything wrong. Doesn’t do it as much at the moment but still notice the stutter every now and again.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 17:47   #30
mbrain

I think I've cured the stutter on my 2014 D4 VEA Auto by changing the fuel filter.

It wasn't changed at the 4th service by Marshall's of Peterborough. In the 7 weeks since it has been changed the engine stutter has gone. It was doing it weekly.

It would happen when pulling off with the engine at around 1/4 water temperature.
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote