Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 egr cooler problem

Views : 11821

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2017, 21:40   #1
Barneyrock

Default V60 egr cooler problem

Hi everyone, I'm newish to Volvo ownership, I've got a 2013 v60 with just over 40k on it. I bought it 18 mths ago. The engine safe mode is now coming on, my local garage, where I take my wife's focus checked faults and say it's the egr and cooler valve, they've cleaned it out which worked for a few months but now the issue is back, I need a permanent fix. What will this cost at the dealership, has anyone had it done recently? All advice gratefully received cheers!
Barneyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 22:10   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Exactly which engine do you have ?
Late 2013 MY14.5 could be the VEA with known EGR issues. Early 2013 MY14 will be an earlier engine, less susceptible to EGR faults.
VEA EGR faults should, by rights, be fixed foc.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 23:14   #3
steadvex
Master Member

Without knowing your engine it could be anything from £200 to £900, as Nigel said, if it's the VEA engine should be covered under warranty
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 11:32   #4
craigv60
Master Member

To add to the above, is your car badged as a D4? If it is, does it have the 5-cylinder engine or the 4-cylinder engine?

The 4-cylinder VEA D4 diesel has the well-known EGR problem, in which case you might have had a strong argument for getting it fixed by Volvo for free (providing the car has a full Volvo service history). The 'definitive' fix for the VEA D4 EGR problem has only been available for a year or so.

However, if your 'local garage' has already cleaned the EGR cooler out before, you will have less chance of getting it fixed under any sort of goodwill from Volvo, I'm afraid. Volvo is likely to say that a non-approved mechanic has tinkered with it, and this has contributed to the problem.

If you have the 5-cylinder D4, then these do not usually have problems, so you've been unlucky.

Last edited by craigv60; Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:35.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 17:54   #5
Barneyrock

Hi everyone thank you for the advice, I've checked my vin and the engine code is either D4192T2 or D4204T5, it depends which site I check it with. I bought my v60 from Fords of Winsford in march 2016. I realise getting the egr cleaned at my local garage is now going to cause me an issue with any goodwill from the dealership. Can anyone advise if there are any issues with this engine that I need to know about and am I looking at £900 max for the permanent fix or am I likely to get stung for more. Finally is the dealership the best route now that I'm going to have to pay myself or is there another route I should consider?
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 19:16   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyrock View Post
Hi everyone thank you for the advice, I've checked my vin and the engine code is either D4192T2 or D4204T5, it depends which site I check it with. I bought my v60 from Fords of Winsford in march 2016. I realise getting the egr cleaned at my local garage is now going to cause me an issue with any goodwill from the dealership. Can anyone advise if there are any issues with this engine that I need to know about and am I looking at £900 max for the permanent fix or am I likely to get stung for more. Finally is the dealership the best route now that I'm going to have to pay myself or is there another route I should consider?
so you have the ford 4 cylinder 2 litre diesel .. the stored fault codes are the clue to what is wrong ... what did the first garage say they were ?
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 19:57   #7
steadvex
Master Member

since you have the ford engine the good news is you can use the cheaper aftermarket egr valves!

if anyone else is reading and has the VEA engine, a mate of mine bought one of the first V70's with that engine with 90k on the clock, previous service was done by a micky mouse garage, aka the place that sold the car and they had removed the egr system and tried to clean it out and rebuild it, well we guessed as they had numbered all the pipes in tip ex to put to put it back together, took it to a main dealer, egr fault confirmed fixed free of charge, i'm guessing YMMV but even if it doesn't have full Volvo service history and well over manufacture warranty age and mileage you might be able to get it fixed if its the VEA engine, and that particular EGR fault, we were also told, although not officially but the mileage limit on that type of claim is 999,999 and at that time it was covered for at least another year, this is on a 63 plate car he bought earlier this year.

guessing previous traded it due to the limp mode and probably thought its out of warranty so got shot of it.

If you supply your reg or vin I can check which engine you have, pm me if you like with it, i'd recommend a Volvo indie if one is nearby they should at the very least have VIDA and be able to check if it is indeed that.
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 23:46   #8
Barneyrock

Vin no is YV1FW7381E1192632, first garage didn't give me fault codes but told me egr and cooler valve were the faults identified. Car is badged as a D4.
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 00:16   #9
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Vin no is YV1FW7381E1192632, first garage didn't give me fault codes but told me egr and cooler valve were the faults identified. Car is badged as a D4.
that's showing as D4204T5 to me which to me is the new VEA engine, should be able to get it done under warranty if it is the EGR/Cooler issue.

Also looks like you got quite a few options on that!

I wouldn't bother with any independent, contact your nearest dealer and tell them its been to a garage and showing up as an egr fault, they should hopefully agree to look and if it is the same issue should be no charge, if its not the same issue they will charge for diagnostics though.

Hope its of some help to you
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 09:11   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
more info suggests it IS the new VEA engine , it is in your interest to get it to a volvo dealer asap ...you need someone who knows what is what ...