Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine gone bang

Views : 2912

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 20:51   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

How are you getting on with the trader has he got the car yet?
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 21:24   #12
hodgie2019

They had the car for two weeks. I got it back from them yesterday.
Basically the independent report said my fault for not checking oil level inline with the Volvo guideline. However Volvo state that do nothing with the oil until a message is displayed. But I do know I checked the oil myself.
They are just not playing ball at all. So it seems that I have to do the donkey work to prove it is not due to poor general maintenance.
hodgie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 21:33   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgie2019 View Post
They had the car for two weeks. I got it back from them yesterday.
Basically the independent report said my fault for not checking oil level inline with the Volvo guideline. However Volvo state that do nothing with the oil until a message is displayed. But I do know I checked the oil myself.
They are just not playing ball at all. So it seems that I have to do the donkey work to prove it is not due to poor general maintenance.
what did the independent report say about the cause and what had happened inside the engine ? And what had been carried out previously to the engine ?

How do they know you didn't check the oil ? You get a warning right in front of you long long before it runs out of oil , It should go from service to service anyway without using a sump full of oil ....
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 22:19   #14
HDAV
Master Member

In fact excess oil is more of an issue due to fuel contamination from overfuelling when doing a dpf clense.........
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 22:54   #15
hodgie2019

So this is the paraphrase of the report.

The independent opinion was that based on the physical assessment, info they were supplied (not directly from me though) observation made and previous experience.
When the engineer arrived the oil had already been drained and the sump was off, not exactly independent so far. They were informed that only 1.5 litres of oil left in the sump.
Only No 5 crank journal was removed which showed evidence of scoring, the corresponding engine and big end bearing worn and hammered consistent with oil supply interruption.
Seizing of the big end resulted in the fracture of the con rod and damage to the crank case.
Notable oil seepage under the vehicle but they do not believe that there was sufficient to result in the reduction in the oil level.
Inspection stopped at that point.

Not much I can say really my word against theirs and it seems it’s weighted in their favour due to the expert opinion. The fact that I have checked the oil regularly has not been taken into account for this report at all. Using the term seizing is incorrect in my opinion as there is no engine parts welded together, which is what I understand as seizing. Personally I think con rod let go.
All a bit one sided.
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 09:32   #16
JonnyA

hI
can't offer any technical advice here but interesting reading...
obviously you haven't posted the whole report but a couple of things spring to mind that should be asked of this based on the posts:
Is the report independant, who commissioned & paid for it, is the 'expert' known the dealer & what are their proffessional qualifications?
Just because a part is generally reliable does not mean that they never fail. Does the report mention testing the oil level sensor and associated systems? if not the report is at fault since this is the only way for the owner to check the oil and without knowing this they cannot make reliable conclusions on whether the oil was checked or not.
If they did not witness the draining of the sump they cannot report it as fact that there was only a certain amount of oil removed (the garage are an interested party).
Does the report include all of the fault logging within the vehicle? if not a big hole in their investigation since modern cars are built around the computer systems.
I understand that the volvo system logs fault codes with a time line (so my local indy tells me) so the codes you can see should give you a story line.
The report should record all of the observations of the inspecting person, the likely causes of any damage and the mechanism or processes that may have lead to this. From the analysis of this evidence they can draw conclusions, which may draw on their experience, as to the likely source(s) of the problem.
I would say that they could only postulate that 'lack of maintenance' by the owner was the cause when they have eliminated all of the possible 'internal' causes.
if you have been checking the oil and no warnings came up then i can't see its anything other than a vehicle fault ... just a bugger arguing the case.

i hope that you get this sorted out sooner rather than later.
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 16:53   #17
dingov70
Master Member

Evening , sorry to read about your problem .

From a tech side of things if your battery voltage is low , you will get inconsistent code readings / erroneous readings from sensors . It will also fail to work with canbus system accurately . You need a fully charged battery before you delve into code reading .

It is also possible that if oil has been lost /drained , then the level sensor will record that fact & it may be an inaccurate reading based on this point ( one to fight with ).

Good luck
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 13:17   #18
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

I would say after 6 months on a used car you are on your own.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 19:42   #19
hodgie2019

Evening All.
Just to draw this post to a close.
Legal battle with trader went nowhere and was going to cost me a lot so dropped the whole lot. 🤬

Decided to buy an engine to replace the pile of scrap in mine. Purchased from Swedserv online.
I will say Pete and Mike @ Swedserv are top blokes. Everything for purchasing it down to delivery was spot on.
Just wanted to say thanks to them and get the company name out there. 👍
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 21:51   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgie2019 View Post
Evening All.
Just to draw this post to a close.
Legal battle with trader went nowhere and was going to cost me a lot so dropped the whole lot. 🤬

Decided to buy an engine to replace the pile of scrap in mine. Purchased from Swedserv online.
I will say Pete and Mike @ Swedserv are top blokes. Everything for purchasing it down to delivery was spot on.
Just wanted to say thanks to them and get the company name out there. 👍
How much did a new engine cost you?