Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 T5 2007 - a few bits needed

Views : 845

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2020, 19:22   #1
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Default C70 T5 2007 - a few bits needed

Evening all, just looking for some advice on my recently-acquired C70. I think I bought pretty well, but as expected there are a couple of things needing rectification:

A front wheel bearing assy. I like SKFs because quality, but anyone got any other views on that, and where's the cheapest place to buy?

A pair of front lower control arms. Looking at these they betray their Ford origins, being pressed steel, I notice. I'm sure they are perfectly functional, but everyone like a bit of alloy casting, don't they?
Any recommendations regarding brands & suppliers - bearing in mind the Focus (IIRC, correct me if not!) shared origins, are Ford branded arms any cheaper, does anyone know?

I will speak to Volvopartstrade to see what they can do for me, too, btw, because blue box must be better, mustn't it?

Thanks in advance
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2020, 10:13   #2
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Just bumping my query
Old Jun 21st, 2020, 13:17   #3
FredGraham

Default From Experience

Hi Bonefishblues
Not trying to tell you to suck eggs but have you considered breakers for the parts, I wouldn't know if parts had to be new or not unless I spoke with a mechanic. Volvo/Saab in Nottingham have sorted me out a couple of times, remember our cars are teenagers now and we're not likely to get back what we put in. I have a C70 T5 2006 by the way.
Regards
Fred
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2020, 14:41   #4
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Yes I have, and I do use them for certain items (most recently an AC pump for the XC, for instance), but the difference in cost for what are pretty cheap parts anyway (good ole' Ford and their penny-pinching), allied to their uncertain provenance means I'll probably end up with a mid-range replacement pair of arms, plus a middish wheel bearing.

They will both more than outlast my ownership of the car, I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 00:40   #5
FredGraham

Just comparing parts. Had a catastrophic breakdown with roof, Volvo wanted £1£1094. Breakers £170, no contest.
Fred
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 09:03   #6
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredGraham View Post
Just comparing parts. Had a catastrophic breakdown with roof, Volvo wanted £1094. Breakers £170, no contest.
Fred
I'm guessing the Dealer had a sale on then
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 10:48   #7
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Just popping back to update. I settled on a pair of TRW arms via Autodoc, delivered from Germany at just over £100, plus a 'Nordic' brand wheel bearing at £32 (the latter seems to be a decent quality item, based on looking at reviews of what seems to be a part that appears in different boxes, iyswim), the former is good gear, I know. Fitting & alignment Tues.