Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air on issue please help

Views : 1160

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2020, 10:03   #1
Sts40

Default Air on issue please help

Hi, I recently bought my S40 (2010) 1.6 DRIVe.

Had the air on rehashed at Kwik-fit. 6 weeks later the air on is blowing colder on the passenger side of the centre dash vents by about 5-6c than the drivers! And the the care just not calling with temp on auto at 19c (outside 24c)

Car went to an another garage to be checked. Pressure of gas fine, they state that the gas/lubricant mixture wasn’t correct for the vehicle, another £70 and 6 weeks later, exactly the same issue.

Yesterday I drove the car for 25 minutes. Aircon set to 17c, outside temp was about 24c. After 25 minutes drive, the aircon blower still on max, slightly warm air from driver side vents than passenger side, and I was sweating.

Any ideas please?
Sts40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 10:18   #2
Welton
Premier Member

The heater matrix is basically on all the time and the airflow diverted away from or to the heater as required by the Climate ECU.

There's motorised actuators which move the air 'flaps' to control the desired cabin temp. Only VIDA will interrogate the system and explain any faults with the various sensors/motors etc but generally the system performs well.

The 'dirty fix' well worth a try first is to set both sides to the same temp and then slowly take the temperature dial down to 'Lo' and slowly back up to 'Hi' this has proved to work well in the past.

Personally I've never seen a Dual Climate system happy with anything other than about 3 Deg C max difference in the requested temps so I always leave both sides equal to save it from the stress of trying.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 10:29   #3
Sts40

Thank you, I’ll give it a try. The temp in the car is unacceptable and the system isn’t getting it down to anywhere near the selected temp on the dial.

I took out a gold warranty when I bought it (non Volvo) and it’s booked in for end of next week.
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 12:57   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sts40 View Post
Thank you, I’ll give it a try. The temp in the car is unacceptable and the system isn’t getting it down to anywhere near the selected temp on the dial.

I took out a gold warranty when I bought it (non Volvo) and it’s booked in for end of next week.
Not sure if I understood you correctly - NONE of the sides cools down properly right? Maybe issue is not in climate control but in (VERY common on our case) compressor clutch gap? When you swith AC on, aircon compressor engages the clutch with electromagnet and that "produces" cold air (sorry, not very knowledgeable in this topic). When gap between clutch (that wears down) and electromagnet becomes too big, you press AC ON and it does noting, but car will think AC is engaged, green light is on etc etc. but it blows just normal uncooled air.
Check if compressor engages and holds on working. If not, possible case of what I was saying (google AC compressor shimming). Easy fix.

Welton - not quite agree with your "3 ded difference", my car easily do LOW/HIGH on each side indepentendly and it does work as intended (one side is chilly cool another is unpleseantly hot).Did it for testing a lots of times, unless you meant something different?

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Jul 14th, 2020 at 13:00.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 13:12   #5
rxtian

These were the exact symptoms our C30 had when it was low on gas, a recharge fixed it. I checked the heater flaps with VIDA and they were passing diagnostics.

Think the reason must have been the refrigerant must enter on the side that the passenger air goes through, then go to the drivers side, so what little cooling there was was all being taken by the passenger vents.

Since you have had the gas volume checked twice, there may be some other problem preventing the system cooling effectively, causing the same symptoms.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 14:09   #6
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Welton - not quite agree with your "3 ded difference", my car easily do LOW/HIGH on each side indepentendly and it does work as intended (one side is chilly cool another is unpleseantly hot).Did it for testing a lots of times, unless you meant something different?
You're right the Climate Control will split the heat/cool quite well each side but I don't like the affect on the fan speed as there's only one common fan. That's why I said that any more than 3 deg C difference seems to cause 'confusion' in the system.

To be honest in 6 years of driving as our main family car and another 5 years just mainly myself I've never felt the need to have different temps between left/right sides - the interior is so small it doesn't really need it.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 14:26   #7
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
To be honest in 6 years of driving as our main family car and another 5 years just mainly myself I've never felt the need to have different temps between left/right sides - the interior is so small it doesn't really need it.
agreed in theory! I always have it on even left/right as it bothers me otherwise :P BUT on some occasions it came handy to be able to split the temp as my GF is always cold so when I have it 18deg on my side she puts it 21 on her and everybodys happy. It doesnt make huge difference but noticeable enough, but hey - if feature exists, why not?
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 16:22   #8
Sts40

I am getting cooling, just not to the degree it makes any difference on a 25 minute drive. You notice a difference in temp between driver vents and passenger vents. And the air on passenger side is definitely being cooled, just not apparently on the driver side...

I’ll try the fix suggested earlier when I’m next out in the car. The tech who re gassed last time was confident that the compressor was fine and engaging correctly, which seems to be the case as there is some cooling going on, just no where near enough to get the interior temp to what it should be.

When I consider my partners car within a mile the aircon has cooled and the fan speed drops to a subtle blow... mine remains blowing on max throughout...
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 16:27   #9
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sts40 View Post
I am getting cooling, just not to the degree it makes any difference on a 25 minute drive. You notice a difference in temp between driver vents and passenger vents. And the air on passenger side is definitely being cooled, just not apparently on the driver side...

I’ll try the fix suggested earlier when I’m next out in the car. The tech who re gassed last time was confident that the compressor was fine and engaging correctly, which seems to be the case as there is some cooling going on, just no where near enough to get the interior temp to what it should be.

When I consider my partners car within a mile the aircon has cooled and the fan speed drops to a subtle blow... mine remains blowing on max throughout...
Ah, ok right... And what happens if you put both sides to LOW manually and set a manual fan speed onto only dashboard vents (so basically full manual all) - is there still not enough cool and one side is warmer?
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 16:32   #10
Sts40

Yes, no change apart from fan speed... passenger window vent and centre vent blow cool/chilled air, but certainly not cold.... drivers centre and window vents blow lukewarm air...

I wouldn’t be too bothered if it were the other way around... lol... it’s usually just me in the car anyway..