Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing HU 655 with Blaupunkt Palma 190 BT

Views : 1050

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2020, 15:56   #1
coljol

Default Replacing HU 655 with Blaupunkt Palma 190 BT

Hi Guys
I recently purchased a double DIN Blaupunkt Palma 190 BT to replace the HU 655 in my 2004 phase 2 S40
I had to buy additional leads to convert the plugs from the HU 655 to the ISO lead supplied with the new radio also a convertor lead for the aerial
When I plugged all together the new radio powers up the electric aerial goes up but I am only getting sound out of the dash tweeter
My HU 655 also has a round DIN plug plugged into the back so thinking there must be an additional amplifier but only thought the V40 had that
Any help much appreciated as I have had to re-install HU 655
Cheers
coljol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 18:06   #2
P156KWJ

To my knowledge the tweeters in the dash are the only speakers not to run via the amp somewhere in the boot area. I'm no expert on the audio setup in the S40 and V40 but someone else on here helped out massively not long ago with more detailed explanations.
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P156KWJ For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 19:28   #3
LTEcactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coljol View Post
Hi Guys
I recently purchased a double DIN Blaupunkt Palma 190 BT to replace the HU 655 in my 2004 phase 2 S40
I had to buy additional leads to convert the plugs from the HU 655 to the ISO lead supplied with the new radio also a convertor lead for the aerial
When I plugged all together the new radio powers up the electric aerial goes up but I am only getting sound out of the dash tweeter
My HU 655 also has a round DIN plug plugged into the back so thinking there must be an additional amplifier but only thought the V40 had that
Cheers
Sounds like your S40 has the upgraded audio pack, the door and parcel shelf speakers are driven by an amp in the boot (V40s also have a sub).

My S40 is the same, so I'm reluctant to switch out the head unit, instead I've plugged in a Bluetooth decoder into the CD changer socket so I can play music off my phone.
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 19:13   #4
P156KWJ

I opted to keep my HU-605 as I have a thing for keeping stuff looking original.

I added a homemade device for Bluetooth that is of higher sound quality than standard ones fitted to the accessory socket and is neatly hidden away hardwired in to the dash. It's made of an old JVC FM Modulator wired via the car aerial plug (with adapters) and a cheapy eBay bluetooth signal receiver. After this I saw no reason to change the stereo for an aftermarket.
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P156KWJ For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2021, 22:45   #5
LozGee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coljol View Post
Hi Guys
Cheers
I have the same problem.
After a bit of digging, as a trial, I connected the 4 +ve outputs from the new unit to the 4 +ve inputs on the DIN plug going to the amp, power to the amp taken from the power to the new unit. I connected the 4 -ve outputs from the new units to earth, and to the earth on the DIN plug.
The logic was that the amp needs a signal to power up (hence taking power from the new unit), it also needs 4 inputs (L,R, Front/Rear).
Fail.
As far as I can see, I need to run 4 twin cables from the amp back to the new head unit, they to connect to it's output. These connect to the (disconnected) amp outputs, thereby only powering the speakers directly from the new head.

However, after working on a blown speaker (seperate issue) I see that they are 2 ohms impedance so likely to get wrecked by a standard head unit at high volume. Mine does not say the output impedance.

Any thoughts / advice?
LozGee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LozGee1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2021, 04:14   #6
Technician

Just for the record there are 3 audio packages.

1). Super basic setup for Police/taxi/government cheapskates where it would be a waste to fit decent audio.

2). Standard 6 speaker setup powered by the Head unit with an optional sub for V40's to make up for the lack of boot cavity to generate bass. White sticklerd speakers at 4ohm impedence.

3). Premium sound with 6 speakers, where the head unit powers the dash tweeters and an Amp (right rear of an S40's boot) powers the others. The speakers have a blue sticker and I think are 8 ohm.

From memory the amp has an 11 pin connector in green as if it was connecting to the back of an non-amp head unit. The colours may be the same so you can check a wiring diagram. I thought the fan cable didn't run any power and was merely the line level out.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Technician For This Useful Post: