Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thermal paste??

Views : 451

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2022, 17:48   #1
Ian Fife

Default Thermal paste??

I read a post on the USA Volvo forum about renewing the thermal paste under the ignition power module. The recommendation was to renew the thermal paste every 2-3 years.
This is the first I've ever heard of thermal paste, let alone the need for regular renewal.
My 1991 945 has never had any attention in this area, and has never given any trouble.
Any thoughts anyone?

Ian F
Ian Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Fife For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2022, 18:25   #2
bob12
bob12

In 32 years with the 745 I have used thermal paste only twice.

Once when I had to take the ign amp off the inner wing and the other when I had the audio amp to pieces.

I have not heard of it being necessary to replace every few years! All it's there for is to assist with the dissapation of heat from the amp more readily. When you take the ign amp off the inner winng the paste looks pretty sound.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2022, 18:54   #3
Ian Fife

Thanks Bob, I will hold off buying any for the time being!

Ian F
Ian Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Fife For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2022, 22:58   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If it's never been done, buy some heat sink compound, remove the ignition amp and clean the back of it and the heatsink with a solvent cleaner and polish both to as near mirror finish as you can get with minimum effort. DO NOT use anything abrasive!

Once clean, degrease the surfaces with meths, carb or brake cleaner, petrol or similar and once dry, apply a smear of heatsink compound (aka thermal paste) onto the mating face of the ignition amp heatsink. Apply the amp to the main heatsink and move it around to spread the compound around then refit the screws, plug etc and test.

While you're working in that area, follow the wiring harness back until you find the earth cable for the ignition amp near the suspension turret base, undo the screw/bolt and clean the crimp terminal with a wire brush, emery paper or similar and likewise clean where it attaches to the body and also the bolt/screw.
Smear some silicone grease on the threads and the terminal and refit, spreading the squeezed out grease over the screw head, terminal etc to cover it making it waterproof again.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2022, 23:46   #5
Forrest
VOC Member

The Americans seem to advocate a lot of potentially unnecessary or overly-frequent maintenance tasks.

My view is that the thermal compound only needs replacing if you have to remove the component from the heat sink for any reason. In those circumstances it is essential to clean everything up thoroughly and refit with new paste as described above.

The compound is grease in a confined space. It's not going to deteriorate that rapidly unless the heat sink is badly fitted in the first place.

Similar thermal compound is used in computers and amplifiers. I've got amplifiers over 50 years old that have never required such maintenance.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2022, 00:14   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
The Americans seem to advocate a lot of potentially unnecessary or overly-frequent maintenance tasks.

My view is that the thermal compound only needs replacing if you have to remove the component from the heat sink for any reason. In those circumstances it is essential to clean everything up thoroughly and refit with new paste as described above.

The compound is grease in a confined space. It's not going to deteriorate that rapidly unless the heat sink is badly fitted in the first place.

Similar thermal compound is used in computers and amplifiers. I've got amplifiers over 50 years old that have never required such maintenance.
I've found most Americans that can do things have gained their skills in the military. If a part fails then it gets analysed for cause of failure and remedial action taken. If that part overheated because of insufficient heatsink compound which had dried out as a result and was no longer functioning as thermal transfer paste, they decide that it must all be prone to drying out and therefore needs periodic renewal.
This periodic interval is usually set at a ridiculously frequent time but would you fancy being in an aircraft and wondering if the heatsink compound on the vital control systems had been renewed?

While that's true to a point, if there is enough on there to start with, it won't dry out in normal service conditions. However, with military kit it is exposed to extremes we wouldn't normally encounter, except perhaps under the bonnet of a car.
That said, 10 years would be a suitable inspect/renew interval but if it's unknown whether it has been done ever, it's best practice to do it anyway.
You're probably wondering why - i've renewed countless ignition amp modules in my time, not just Volvos but other makes that use similar Bosch items and also a few Japanese ones and the common factor in all of them was either no heatsink compuond from the factory or so little as to be useless.

As for amplifiers 50+ years old on their original heatsink compound, that's because they were built with quality components and enough heatsink compound in the first place - built to a quality level, not to a price! Similar theory applies to the compound itself, they expected the components to last and so made sure the compound would as well. Now there is built-in obsolescence and limited lifetimes so they can sell a new amplifier unit at 5-10 years old.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: