Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What does the "bad" aux belt tensioner look like?

Views : 1226

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2022, 18:28   #1
FrankFisher99

Default What does the "bad" aux belt tensioner look like?

Hi All, I read that the original aux belt tensioner fitted to these cars (ours is a 2008 XC70) can go bad quickly, shed the belt and can take the cam belt with it. But that a Volvo recall in 2010 should have seen most affected cars upgraded. So, is there a way, by looking at the tensioner, to know if it's the good one, or the bad one?

Pic here for definitive answers....
FrankFisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2022, 10:26   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

dont take any risks with aux belts. just change it and the tensioner if it fails you could end up with a large bill for a wrecked cylinder head and cams .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2022, 11:01   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFisher99 View Post
Hi All, I read that the original aux belt tensioner fitted to these cars (ours is a 2008 XC70) can go bad quickly, shed the belt and can take the cam belt with it. But that a Volvo recall in 2010 should have seen most affected cars upgraded. So, is there a way, by looking at the tensioner, to know if it's the good one, or the bad one?

Pic here for definitive answers....
Just use the current parts , the tensioner wasn't particularly faulty neither was the belt .

The belt change interval was halved to 54000 miles ,
the tensioner remains at every 108000 miles .

Around 2010 they used a hydraulic tensioner but that was superseded back to the mechanical one in around 2012.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 20:56   #4
simboc2004
SimboC2004

The one on my 2011 D3 had missed the recall and still had the wrong type when i bought it. I couldn't find a replacement and had to have the modification done at (luckily heavily subsidised) Volvo cost...

the original one looked like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6902 copy.jpg (162.0 KB, 35 views)

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simboc2004 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2022, 07:51   #5
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

What the all wise Clan said. Change the belt and tension mid-way between cambelt intervals, exactly as you should, and you'll have no problems.

They do not go bad quickly, and only cause issues if not replaced when they are supposed to. Use the current part numbers on the Volvo parts system, which is exactly what the dealer sells you anyway.

If the dealer fits them you get a "lifetime" warranty, unlike the one year Fred in a Shed will give if you're lucky, so if they then fail within the recommended replacement cycle period its their problem. People don't tell you important stuff like that when they bleat about what an expensive rip-off the dealers are...

Last edited by Familyman 90; May 23rd, 2022 at 07:54.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2022, 21:40   #6
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Just use the current parts , the tensioner wasn't particularly faulty neither was the belt .

The belt change interval was halved to 54000 miles ,
the tensioner remains at every 108000 miles .

Around 2010 they used a hydraulic tensioner but that was superseded back to the mechanical one in around 2012.
If the OP is just looking for advice on what is fitted to his car at the moment, shouldn't we advise he check whether his original belt has been changed to the more robust version (introduced 2014-ish)? Because that was the eventual route cause, regardless of tensioner, and the OP's car could easily have had the original belt replaced with the same type prior to 2014, and therefore liable to cause the failures he's been reading about. Or is the original belt design OK for the reduced 54k mile interval?

Last edited by ferg55; May 25th, 2022 at 21:54.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2022, 21:48   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
If the OP is just looking for advice on what is fitted to his car at the moment, shouldn't we advise he check whether his original belt has been changed to the more robust version (introduced 2014-ish)? Because that was the eventual route cause, regardless of tensioner, and the OP's car could easily have had the original belt replaced with the same type prior to 2014, and therefore liable to cause the failures he's been reading about.
Its best to just change the belt and tensioner now with genuine volvo parts if unsure ..
Old May 27th, 2022, 11:49   #8
FrankFisher99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
If the OP is just looking for advice on what is fitted to his car at the moment, shouldn't we advise he check whether his original belt has been changed to the more robust version (introduced 2014-ish)? Because that was the eventual route cause, regardless of tensioner, and the OP's car could easily have had the original belt replaced with the same type prior to 2014, and therefore liable to cause the failures he's been reading about. Or is the original belt design OK for the reduced 54k mile interval?
Thanks, you are right that was my query, and thanks also to simboc2004 - that "old" tensioner is what I was worried about. As it happened it turned out we had the new type tensioner and we swapped that and both belts with no problems. All pulleys and bearings seemed good, but there were a couple of nicks in the ac belt.
FrankFisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2022, 14:26   #9
Peter2400

How does the more robust belt looks like compared to the older type? Can't find pics, parts lists shows the same 5pk1121 for every D5.
Peter2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2022, 15:00   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter2400 View Post
How does the more robust belt looks like compared to the older type? Can't find pics, parts lists shows the same 5pk1121 for every D5.
they are the same on all the 5 cylinders
2007 - 2015 ish