Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service Options V60 Main Delear or Indy

Views : 1475

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2022, 08:30   #1
Cameron1590

Default Service Options V60 Main Delear or Indy

Hello,

I have a 2018 D3 V60R. The service reminder came on yesterday and after speaking to my dealer I have been quoted £980inc VAT.

I was advised that the price included the Cambelt but after looking on here I can see that doesn't need changing at the moment (43k miles).

I suspect the final bill will be closer to £650 and after checking with a reputable indy, I have been quoted £180.

As you can imagine, this makes it very hard to justify going direct to volvo. The only thing I was wondering is the service quote states cleaning of the front facing camera and recalibration including software updates.

Are there any updates for my car...can I find out? Are the worth paying the extra for?

Finally, if I go to an indy and don't have the camera cleaned that is behind the windscreen or recalibration, am I going to have any issues with these in the future?

I am sure this was only done last year as I had a new windscreen fitted.

Thanks

Cameron
Cameron1590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2022, 09:00   #2
Rocinante
Master Member

I believe, if you were worried about it, you could pay for software updates independent of a service, and I think it would be substantially less than than the £470 difference. (I recall the figure £80 from somewhere on here, but don't quote me) But if everything is working OK, I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Other thoughts:
  • With that much of a difference in price, are you getting the same service ?
  • I believe the Volvo service comes with breakdown cover, if this is something you use, and would have to pay for separately, it's worth weighing up in the calculation.
  • While your car is now out of warranty, if something does go awry, a full dealer service history may elicit a greater goodwill gesture.

Having said all that, my Volvo hasn't seen a dealer in years.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2022, 09:11   #3
Rocinante
Master Member

Somewhere between £50 & £101.75 for a software update. See thread.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...light=software

Last edited by Rocinante; May 27th, 2022 at 10:56.
Old May 27th, 2022, 11:17   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron1590 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2018 D3 V60R. The service reminder came on yesterday and after speaking to my dealer I have been quoted £980inc VAT.

I was advised that the price included the Cambelt but after looking on here I can see that doesn't need changing at the moment (43k miles).

I suspect the final bill will be closer to £650 and after checking with a reputable indy, I have been quoted £180.

As you can imagine, this makes it very hard to justify going direct to volvo. The only thing I was wondering is the service quote states cleaning of the front facing camera and recalibration including software updates.

Are there any updates for my car...can I find out? Are the worth paying the extra for?

Finally, if I go to an indy and don't have the camera cleaned that is behind the windscreen or recalibration, am I going to have any issues with these in the future?

I am sure this was only done last year as I had a new windscreen fitted.

Thanks

Cameron
The cambelt is done on the 5th year/90,000 mile service so you wont need that for a while as the cambelt is 90000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first/
As they have messed up on the quotation at least get the correct quote first .

Are you due your 4th year/ 72000 mile service ?

you are not going to get that done properly for £180 ...
The volvo parts alone are more than that .
Old May 27th, 2022, 11:20   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The cambelt is done on the 5th year/90,000 mile service so you wont need that for a while as the cambelt is 90000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first/
As they have messed up on the quotation at least get the correct quote first .

Are you due your 4th year/ 72000 mile service ?

you are not going to get that done properly for £180 ...
The volvo parts alone are more than that .
I was about to say the same. At £180 that won’t get all you need (I assume that’s an oil change).

There is an online Volvo configuration you can use which should detail rough costs.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2022, 12:28   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I was about to say the same. At £180 that won’t get all you need (I assume that’s an oil change).

There is an online Volvo configuration you can use which should detail rough costs.
its the fuel filter service if the 4th year ..
Old May 27th, 2022, 12:35   #7
Easington
Master Member

OP I can see your profile says Nottingham. I'd suggest using the main dealer Claytons of Mansfield. Their labour rate and therefore services are cheaper than others in the area. Give Chris Evans a call
Old May 27th, 2022, 14:08   #8
Rocinante
Master Member

The 4 year service appears to be less than £500 as quoted on the Volvo website.

I'd also be rather disappointed with the dealer if they tried to overcharge you by nearly 100%, by carrying out work early.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...nd-maintenance
Old May 27th, 2022, 14:47   #9
Rocinante
Master Member

Further to this thread, I just started looking in to the costs associated with a dealer service, having not had my car near a dealer for many years, and was thinking the costs don't look too bad compared to an independent, once you factor in the cost of breakdown cover and therefore am considering where I will get my next service.

Having had a look, I would point out one thing, with the Volvo Assist, "If the problem cannot be resolved at home or the roadside we will pay the cost of taking your vehicle to the nearest Authorised Volvo Dealer or Volvo Authorised Workshop or your preferred Authorised Volvo Dealer ".

The reason I point this out, and it is giving me pause, is that obviously if your car breaks down, rather than going to my local, trusted, 'cheap', independent garage that I have been taking my cars to for the past 25 years, my car would end up at a main dealer, and paying those prices for repair. You may be happy with that, and there are no doubt many debates to be had regarding the best people to find and fix fault with your Volvo, as well as comparative costs with such work, but it is something to consider.
Old May 27th, 2022, 15:08   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Further to this thread, I just started looking in to the costs associated with a dealer service, having not had my car near a dealer for many years, and was thinking the costs don't look too bad compared to an independent, once you factor in the cost of breakdown cover and therefore am considering where I will get my next service.

Having had a look, I would point out one thing, with the Volvo Assist, "If the problem cannot be resolved at home or the roadside we will pay the cost of taking your vehicle to the nearest Authorised Volvo Dealer or Volvo Authorised Workshop or your preferred Authorised Volvo Dealer ".

The reason I point this out, and it is giving me pause, is that obviously if your car breaks down, rather than going to my local, trusted, 'cheap', independent garage that I have been taking my cars to for the past 25 years, my car would end up at a main dealer, and paying those prices for repair. You may be happy with that, and there are no doubt many debates to be had regarding the best people to find and fix fault with your Volvo, as well as comparative costs with such work, but it is something to consider.
Independents are getting as close to main dealer rates as they dare . Its all about fine tuning it I think . This is also a new age regarding garages and costs with the price of everything going up and the shortage of technicians.
Volvo have done pretty well to keep their labour rates stable through Brexit , the virus and now this 10% inflation . They are around £85 - £100 + Vat per hour depending on Location .