Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 2.4i fuel economy

Views : 2324

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2022, 01:16   #1
Nick04

Default Volvo V50 2.4i fuel economy

Been measuring a regular journey I do at 30mph and I'm averaging pretty much bang on 30mpg. Pretty pleased with that as my previous car which was a 1.4TSI did similar. Given I'm driving in a very efficient manner in the V50, as in reading the road ahead for traffic lights and roundabouts, etc. But still, it's a better mpg than I was expecting. Will have to see what I get on a longer run.
Nick04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick04 For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2022, 01:25   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Same engine but different car (a 2000 Mk1 V70). Mine was showing an average of 22mpg but it's a high mileage car with a lot of worn components just getting replaced currently, so I'm hoping to see better MPG.

Mine is a 5 speed geartronic.
Old May 1st, 2022, 07:38   #3
MDS40

Mine shows 19.2
All town driving.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2022, 13:23   #4
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

I am extremely lucky to also own a Euro 3 D5, which is the most economical vehicle i have ever driven.

However these 5 cylinder Volvo petrol engines, turbo or non turbo are a complete luxury item from a time when petrol was cheap, and the typical owner had money to burn. My 2.4 is designated as my emergency 'backup' car, but currently Ive been using it as a daily while my D5 is off the road for some repairs and BOY am I feeling the enourmous increase in fuel bills from this 2.4 petrol engine.

Honestly, old diesel engines are suddenly becoming very attractive if you can avoid ULEZ etc.
Old May 1st, 2022, 13:41   #5
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick04 View Post
Been measuring a regular journey I do at 30mph and I'm averaging pretty much bang on 30mpg. Pretty pleased with that as my previous car which was a 1.4TSI did similar. Given I'm driving in a very efficient manner in the V50, as in reading the road ahead for traffic lights and roundabouts, etc. But still, it's a better mpg than I was expecting. Will have to see what I get on a longer run.

Thats not bad at all. The V50 2.4 actually weighs about 50kg more than the P2 V70 with the same engine, so kudos to your skills and the condition of the motor.
Old May 1st, 2022, 17:06   #6
Nick04

Forgot to mention, I also always use manual mode which I'd imagine contributes to efficiency. I also don't really go above 2000 revs unless I really need to. The thing is with this engine, you do need to operate at higher revs with lower speeds if you're trying to get a move on. I'd imagine driving it this way would get some very low mpg numbers.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 17:43   #7
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Is that 30mpg according to the trip meter or have you worked it out manually by fuel usage against mileage? V50 trip meters are notoriously ambitious. My V50 diesel used to show 61mpg but was actually giving me 52mpg (not trying to dishearten you by the way). It might be worth if you fill up to full every time is zero the mileage trip and then work it out against how much you used on your next fill up, it’ll give you a pretty accurate figure. I do it regularly.

TT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2022, 20:53   #8
Nick04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Is that 30mpg according to the trip meter or have you worked it out manually by fuel usage against mileage? V50 trip meters are notoriously ambitious. My V50 diesel used to show 61mpg but was actually giving me 52mpg (not trying to dishearten you by the way). It might be worth if you fill up to full every time is zero the mileage trip and then work it out against how much you used on your next fill up, it’ll give you a pretty accurate figure. I do it regularly.

TT
It's what was shown on the trip computer so I'll have to measure it by fuel usage as well. However, when I first got the vehicle it was showing the average as much lower, think it was early 20s. The mpg does feel okay as well, as in anecdotally. It feels reasonable when driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick04 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2022, 19:41   #9
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
It's what was shown on the trip computer so I'll have to measure it by fuel usage as well. However, when I first got the vehicle it was showing the average as much lower, think it was early 20s. The mpg does feel okay as well, as in anecdotally. It feels reasonable when driving.
I’m running my Subaru on Super which is bringing back enough of an improvement to justify the price difference and save a few pence. I’ll be interested to see the differential between the two values. Gotta say though, those 2.4’s sound nice when is a good enough reason to have one.

TT
Old May 6th, 2022, 13:34   #10
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
tip
dont work it out Properly using miles driven/gallons used,,

you really Can get some single digit numbers when you do that and drive it in a spirited manner ,,,ask my wallet for the proof ,,its over there in the corner quivering
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: