Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nivomat damper Bellows

Views : 678

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2022, 14:32   #1
J liddy

Default Nivomat damper Bellows

Hi has anyone here changed the Bellows on Nivomat dampers any advice on how to do this most appreciated
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2022, 16:39   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

I bought some new rubber gaiters from Volvo with the intention of doing this one day. The method I was planning to employ was to unscrew the lower mounts as described here. However, having neither the soft-jaw grips nor a suitable vice this has never made it to the top of the to-do list.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=72387

I think some people have had success forcing the new gaiters over the bottom mount but it would irritate me struggling to do this whilst knowing there was a better way.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2022, 18:20   #3
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default nivomat dampers

thanks forrest ,did you put the standard dampers on with heavy duty springs ?
may be a option for me if some can advise on the correct parts ,
regards jim
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2022, 18:53   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

I replaced the rubbers on mine a couple of years ago. I removed the dampers and took them to a small garage near to me which has a large heavy duty vice and the required “soft” jaws. He loosened the lower mounting eyes so that I could remove them to slip on the replacement bellows. I used my own light weight vice with soft jaws to replace the lower mounting eyes as tight as I could with some thread lock. Two years on and still OK.

Edit: There are a couple of threads somewhere about this if I can find them.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; May 22nd, 2022 at 20:53.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2022, 19:12   #5
bob12
bob12

I have done several posts over the years about Nivomats for the 700/900 range etc. with pics.

Unfortunately, unless you do a Google search they are no longer available for me to access as many historical posts have been deleted by the Forum system. I don't find the Forum search is any good unless you strike very lucky!!

The 9 diaphram bellows are still availble at from Volvo - Pt No. 1387105 (or it was!).

To fit the bellows you have to unscrew (anti-clockwise) the lower bush/mount. Warning .... it is not easy! You need a very stout vice, stillson and, a very long lever bar!! However, they do unscrew!!

Once the lower mount is removed and the thread cleaned-up it is an easy job to slip on the the new gaiter and refit the bottom bushing with some loctite. It's virtually imposible to get a new gaiter over the bottom bush when it's in situ; whatever wheezee you my try!

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2022, 20:08   #6
bob12
bob12

Found these pics on my phone. Before (old) and, a refurbished very good pair of Nivos I had 'bought for a song'!

They have been on the 745 for a couple of years now and no longer the yearly MOT comment about a slight weep of oil from the n/s Nivo!!

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nivo1.jpg (208.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Nivo2.jpg (118.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Nivo3.jpg (149.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Nivo4.jpg (95.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Nivo5.jpg (154.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Nivo6.jpg (152.4 KB, 12 views)
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2022, 20:58   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

Thanks Bob. That was the part number when I did mine in 2019. It was reading your posts which led me to do mine.

Old May 23rd, 2022, 06:08   #8
J liddy

I have a vice but no way can I get them off do they need a heat with a plumbers blow torch or is that a no no .within being near the rubber support mounts .
Regards jim
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2022, 09:57   #9
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
I have a vice but no way can I get them off do they need a heat with a plumbers blow torch or is that a no no .within being near the rubber support mounts .
Regards jim
Edit, ignore my brain fart! You need to grip the chrome bar not the damper itself.

Last edited by 360beast; May 23rd, 2022 at 10:42.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2022, 10:14   #10
Ian21401
Premier Member

I don’t think that heat is either necessary or a good idea. The shaft of the shocker needs to be held VERY firmly in a SOFT jawed vice so that the lower mount can be gripped and turned with a long handled stilson which may also need some persuasion with a lump hammer, whilst the shaft does not rotate in the vice jaws.
Once it is loose it is easy after that.
I first tried by obtaining three different types of soft jaws for my 4 inch bench vice but without any success. The vice simply could not hold the shaft firmly enough so the shaft revolved in the jaws as I attempted to unscrew the mount.
There is a man near to me who is a retired HGV mechanic and now works on other peoples’ cars from his very well equipped home garage. He has a large engineers vice with massive jaws and suitable soft jaws and he agreed to give it a try at my risk. The shaft was duly clamped in the vice and large stilson applied to the mount. It didn’t want to move. The vice was tightened as much as humanly possible and the stilson persuaded with a lump hammer. This was the stage when I anticipated the shaft turning in the vice and becoming damaged, but thankfully it didn’t. The mount loosened then wound off quite easily.
So, find someone with a large engineers vice who is prepared to assist.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: